Persecution of the Rohingya

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
lyndon taylor

Re: Persecution of the Rohingya

Post by lyndon taylor » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

Just today I read something about Rohingya refugees from Bangladesh, so I don't think Bangladesh is going to be holding open arms to refugees, the surprising thing to me is these are Muslim refugees being turned away from Muslim countries like Malaysia and Indonesia.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

waterchan

Post by waterchan » Wed May 27, 2015 9:13 pm

That's why they're called the "boat people"; they're legally stateless. The authoritarian Myanmar government stripped them of citizenship in 1982 on the grounds that they were illegal immigrants from Bangladesh who had gained citizenship documents through illegal means such as bribery. Other neighboring Muslim countries have their own problems and won't accept most of the Rohingya.

Some international historians claim that the Rohingya have been living in what is now the Rakhine State of Burma for seven centuries. It was originally called Arakan before the Burmese occupied it in 1785. Regardless of whether that is true, the law enacted in 1982 revokes the Rohingya of any legitimate citizenship they may have previously held.

I haven't explored the Rohingya issue in any significant detail. But from what little I've seen and heard, there is a disappointing lack of evidence from both the international humanitarian community and the anti-Rohingya voices inside Myanmar. A lot of passionate claims made by both sides, but little evidence to back it up.

Regardless of the truth, it's naive to think that this is a religious problem and to expect half a million saffron robes to march in a campaign to save the Rohingya. If I recall correctly, the last time the Sangha marched en masse was because the government started murdering them, and regrettably they got slaughtered some more. They're not going to take the same kind of risk to protect the rights of people whose rights were revoked more than three decades ago.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 am

Recent history of Rohingya and Bangla refugees trying to enter other SE Asian countries, on a timeline with links to detailed news reports (all from ABC News Australia, our equivalent of the BBC): http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-28/t ... is/6498794

It's not happy reading, and doesn't reflect much credit on any of the governments involved (including Australia's :jedi: ).

:candle:
Kim

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Thu May 28, 2015 3:46 pm

This article today about the Dalai Lama calling for a positive solution to the Rohingya crisis, with a rather disappointing from Myanmar's fellow Nobel Prize winner.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/dal ... ?li=AA4Zpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu May 28, 2015 11:37 pm

Greetings,
mikenz66 wrote:Why is the sangha supposed to fix all of the social and political problems? Is that its purpose?

:anjali:
Mike
Indeed... very well said. Such questions are imperative in this day and age as questions of political awakening are discussed.

:anjali:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri May 29, 2015 2:55 am

Political awakening is good. It is best that when political awakening if one can see government as it really is. This is just an application of the buddha's call to see things as they really are. So....government, government, government. People talk of this thing called government. What is this thing called government?

It is a collection of people who have learned to cooperate and to support each other's activities....and....who have alot of guns and cages in which they can lock up those who disagree with them. They claim legitimacy through many agencies such as god, nation, country, patriotism, moral right, popular support, etc. and what they do is to decide what people should be doing and by instituting a system punishments and threats of punishment to coerce people into following their imperatives. They often co-opt the educational system which is then used to teach children in a way that hides the way things really are in the government.

Perhaps this is too much for most people to comprehend all at once. If so then it can be boiled down into considering what is coersion?.....it is using force or the threat of force to make people do what you want. The government is is essence an agent of coersion...e.g.....if the government made paying taxes a matter of personal choice without threatening negative consequences for not paying then how many people would pay? Some would but many wouldn't.
chownah
P.S. Please note that I am not making any value judgements here or at least it is not my intention to make value judgements here.....just seems to me that when you strip off all the fabrications blinding us from the truth then what I have described is pretty much what is happening.
chownah

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:56 am

Oh, don't blame us. It's the fault of those dirty Bangladeshi Muslims.

Burma protesters march in capital Rangoon angry at country being blamed for Rohingya crisis
PETER POPHAM RANGOON Wednesday 27 May 2015
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 79868.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:58 pm

For the past month, Thai society has been in agreement that it's only right to push the desperate Muslim Rohingya and Bangladeshi boat people back out to sea and let fate take care of them. On Monday, lighted candles and solemn prayers filled temples nationwide as devotees promised to follow the Buddha's path to celebrate Visakha Bucha Day. The world is perplexed. How could a country which prides itself as the hub of Buddhism be so cruel?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... e-religion" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 pm

The govt now realizes the consequences to its international image of allowing refugees to leave, and so is confining refugees to camps where they are essentially left to die.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/13/world ... light.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi Jeffrey,

My heart bleeds for the Rohigya and I have done what small part I can by donating to an NGO that I hope will aide them in some fashion. Still, I don't expect governments or politicians to do much for anyone beyond their own, narrowly defined group of people they view as their constituents. If I may ask, what do you recommend we do to help redress the harm here?

Mettaya,

Mike
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

catmoon

Post by catmoon » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:26 pm

I heard an interesting opinion the other day, from a non-Buddhist. He said, "Jesus these Muslims are awful. Even the Buddhists can't get along with them."

What does it mean that someone holds such an opinion? It means that there are people using the actions of Buddhists in Myanmar to justify ideas like the total eradication of Islam.

There's some food for thought in there.