Sn Goenka said that you eventually will come to a natural celibat

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
villkorkarma

Sn Goenka said that you eventually will come to a natural celibat

Post by villkorkarma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:59 pm

He said so. I can show you if you want but thats not the Point here.
Does he mean that we will feel so good all the time so we dont need it or just/only that we learn what takes us to Death?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )

ryanM

Re: Sn Goenka said that you eventually will come to a natural celibat

Post by ryanM » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:31 pm

i believe he means that you'll come to understand the value in celibacy. you can offer the most protection to yourself and people around you when you're celibate. also, you're no longer going to be (this is assuming if the lust is truly subdued) drawn to the four elements that take the form of a female/male body. you see them as anicca, anatta and dukkha.

speaking for myself, lust hasn't been abandoned, but i do have glimpses of perceiving 'attractive' bodies as just an aggregation of the elements. going against the initial pull into sensuality and thinking of the lust in terms of the four noble truths. thanks for the post!

:smile:

Ryan
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 pm

Aha. :namaste: :meditate:

villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 pm

Is it possible to have Little happiness all the time almost if you are living with people who hurt you in many subtle ways?

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:20 am

villkorkarma wrote:He said so. I can show you if you want but thats not the Point here.
Does he mean that we will feel so good all the time so we dont need it or just/only that we learn what takes us to Death?
What I think is that there are two type of pleasure.
Pleasure of the flesh and the pleasure of not of the flesh.
Pleasure of not of the flesh seems to be much higher than the pleasure of the flesh.
So you naturally move away from sensual pleasures (pleasure of flesh)
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:49 am

SarathW wrote:
villkorkarma wrote:He said so. I can show you if you want but thats not the Point here.
What I think is that there are two type of pleasure.
Pleasure of the flesh and the pleasure of not of the flesh.
Pleasure of not of the flesh seems to be much higher than the pleasure of the flesh.
So you naturally move away from sensual pleasures (pleasure of flesh)
:)
Ajahn Amaro relates an often told story of Ajahn Chah "After Ajahn Chah had the question translated, he pondered for a moment and then started picking his nose in a very graphic and extended way. When everyone was rolling on the floor laughing and he was sure they definitely got the point, he pulled his finger out of his nose: "There's nothing more to it than that, except what the mind adds to it." http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha299.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 pm

:rofl:

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:51 am

Sallatha Sutta: The Arrow
The Blessed One said, "When touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, were to shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pains of two arrows; in the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person sorrows, grieves, & laments, beats his breast, becomes distraught. So he feels two pains, physical & mental.

"As he is touched by that painful feeling, he is resistant. Any resistance-obsession with regard to that painful feeling obsesses him. Touched by that painful feeling, he delights in sensual pleasure. Why is that? Because the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person does not discern any escape from painful feeling aside from sensual pleasure. As he is delighting in sensual pleasure, any passion-obsession with regard to that feeling of pleasure obsesses him. He does not discern, as it actually is present, the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, or escape from that feeling. As he does not discern the origination, passing away, allure, drawback, or escape from that feeling, then any ignorance-obsession with regard to that feeling of neither-pleasure-nor-pain obsesses him.

"Sensing a feeling of pleasure, he senses it as though joined with it. Sensing a feeling of pain, he senses it as though joined with it. Sensing a feeling of neither-pleasure-nor-pain, he senses it as though joined with it. This is called an uninstructed run-of-the-mill person joined with birth, aging, & death; with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is joined, I tell you, with suffering & stress.

"Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, did not shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pain of only one arrow. In the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. He feels one pain: physical, but not mental.
So, is it possible to have this little happiness when people hurt you in subtle ways? I think so. Now, obviously it's not about ignoring that pain you experience from these people, but how you regard that pain so you you're not shot with two arrows instead of one. We take refuge in the Triple Gem, but we also have to be a refuge unto ourselves. The refuge being the good qualities in our own minds, and the peace that comes with having developed these qualities. We can't let our happiness be dependent on other people's actions or we're doomed to be pulled when people praise or blame us.

Verse 81 from the Dhammapada:
Just as a mighty boulder
stirs not with the wind,
so the wise are never moved
either by praise or blame.
This evening, I was confronted with a situation in which I could do nothing about. This particular person held a perception of me that I knew adding words to would only stir the pot even more. Eventually, the person left and the situation diffused by itself. Wishing you the best!

Ryan
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"