How India is squandering its top export: The Buddha

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

How India is squandering its top export: The Buddha

Post by cooran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:52 am

How India is squandering its top export : The Buddha
http://www.huffingtonpost.in/dzongsar-j ... 08922.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Mawkish1983

Re: How India is squandering its top export: The Buddha

Post by Mawkish1983 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:13 am

Articles like this serve to put people off visiting

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:44 am

Very good article, well worth reading IMHO.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Wri

Post by Wri » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:51 pm

There are things that I agree with and disagree with in this article. I'm not here to argue it. But I will say that Buddhism is not destroyed by being corrupted in it's place of origin. It is destroyed when it becomes corrupted in your own heart. Your practice keeps Buddhism alive, and you must reflect if you are carrying true Buddha nature by holding on to traditions and lands. Buddhism is everywhere, not just in India.
Keep your mind steady and rest within the winds of experience.
May I show unconditional love to all beings.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:35 pm

On second thought, most Hindus hold the Buddha in high regard as one of their gods, this is hardly mentioned in the article.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm

lyndon taylor wrote:On second thought, most Hindus hold the Buddha in high regard as one of their gods, this is hardly mentioned in the article.
It's true that the Hindus have made the Buddha into the ninth of the ten avatars of Viṣṇu, but he is not in fact held in particularly high regard. In fact he seems to be less revered by them than, say Matsya (Viṣṇu's incarnation as a fish), Kurma (his incarnation as a tortoise), or Varaha (his incarnation as a boar), as evidenced by the fact that whenever the Hindus decide to substitute a local deity like Jagannātha or Viṭhobā for one of the ten avatars, it is always the Buddha who gets dropped from the pantheon.

Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:30 pm

As an Indian Hindu, who practices both yogic and Buddhist meditation , I have to oppose some of the points in the article...There is absoutely no evidence that Hindus violently uprooted the Buddhists 5th century onwards..Ven. Dhammanando himself pointed out many scholarly articles regarding th conundrum of Jainism surviving and Buddhism disappearing....Hinduism was very much a blood and soil religion that could accomodate everything from Nature cults to the Highest philosophies and meditative cum ascetic practices....While Buddhism was much more of a religion geared towards monks.....Buddhist monasteries were present in Eastern Iran, Afghanistan, Balochistan, and other places in West and Central Asia...Why could not they report back to the home base of Nalanda regarding the threat of Islam..There is not a single text post 5th century and pre 12th century that makes a point by point refutation of Islam from the Buddhist point of view....The complacency and the ignorance of the Buddhist monastic network in meeting this new threat was stupefying..and fact is Hindus fought, died, lost, won, shed blood in a a last gasp do-or-die battle against Islam..While you Buddhists fled to Tibet, China, Sri Lanka and other Buddhist majority countries....We had nowhere to go..This was our only home

And finally extinction of Buddhism from Jambudwipa was a great loss for Hinduism..without the temperance of Buddhism , Hinduism does not aspire to greater intelletual and meditative heights..Without the Buddhists to keep the Hindus honest, Hinduism has degenerated from formless meditation practices to trivial devotion-based cults

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:50 am

Shaswata_Panja wrote:While you Buddhists fled to Tibet, China, Sri Lanka and other Buddhist majority countries.
Pretty sure I never fled

Kusala

Post by Kusala » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:28 am

Shaswata_Panja wrote:As an Indian Hindu, who practices both yogic and Buddhist meditation , I have to oppose some of the points in the article...There is absoutely no evidence that Hindus violently uprooted the Buddhists 5th century onwards..Ven. Dhammanando himself pointed out many scholarly articles regarding th conundrum of Jainism surviving and Buddhism disappearing....Hinduism was very much a blood and soil religion that could accomodate everything from Nature cults to the Highest philosophies and meditative cum ascetic practices....While Buddhism was much more of a religion geared towards monks.....Buddhist monasteries were present in Eastern Iran, Afghanistan, Balochistan, and other places in West and Central Asia...Why could not they report back to the home base of Nalanda regarding the threat of Islam..There is not a single text post 5th century and pre 12th century that makes a point by point refutation of Islam from the Buddhist point of view....The complacency and the ignorance of the Buddhist monastic network in meeting this new threat was stupefying..and fact is Hindus fought, died, lost, won, shed blood in a a last gasp do-or-die battle against Islam..While you Buddhists fled to Tibet, China, Sri Lanka and other Buddhist majority countries....We had nowhere to go..This was our only home

And finally extinction of Buddhism from Jambudwipa was a great loss for Hinduism..without the temperance of Buddhism , Hinduism does not aspire to greater intelletual and meditative heights..Without the Buddhists to keep the Hindus honest, Hinduism has degenerated from formless meditation practices to trivial devotion-based cults
"According to the historian S. R. Goyal, the decline of Buddhism in India is the result of the hostility of Brahmins. The Saivite ruler Shashanka of Gauda (590–626) destroyed the Buddhist images and Bo Tree, under which Siddhartha Gautama is said to have achieved enlightenment...With the surge of Brahmanical philosophers like Adi Shankara, along with Madhvacharya and Ramanuja, three leaders in the revival of Brahmanical philosophy, Buddhism started to fade out rapidly from the landscape of India."

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "

Anders

Post by Anders » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:34 am

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Shaswata_Panja wrote:While you Buddhists fled to Tibet, China, Sri Lanka and other Buddhist majority countries.
Pretty sure I never fled
Maybe back then you did. ;)

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:04 am

Anders wrote:
Mawkish1983 wrote:
Pretty sure I never fled
Maybe back then you did. ;)
'twasn't me then :)

Shaswata_Panja

Post by Shaswata_Panja » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:10 am

Kusala wrote:
Shaswata_Panja wrote:As an Indian Hindu, who practices both yogic and Buddhist meditation , I have to oppose some of the points in the article...There is absoutely no evidence that Hindus violently uprooted the Buddhists 5th century onwards..Ven. Dhammanando himself pointed out many scholarly articles regarding th conundrum of Jainism surviving and Buddhism disappearing....Hinduism was very much a blood and soil religion that could accomodate everything from Nature cults to the Highest philosophies and meditative cum ascetic practices....While Buddhism was much more of a religion geared towards monks.....Buddhist monasteries were present in Eastern Iran, Afghanistan, Balochistan, and other places in West and Central Asia...Why could not they report back to the home base of Nalanda regarding the threat of Islam..There is not a single text post 5th century and pre 12th century that makes a point by point refutation of Islam from the Buddhist point of view....The complacency and the ignorance of the Buddhist monastic network in meeting this new threat was stupefying..and fact is Hindus fought, died, lost, won, shed blood in a a last gasp do-or-die battle against Islam..While you Buddhists fled to Tibet, China, Sri Lanka and other Buddhist majority countries....We had nowhere to go..This was our only home

"According to the historian S. R. Goyal, the decline of Buddhism in India is the result of the hostility of Brahmins. The Saivite ruler Shashanka of Gauda (590–626) destroyed the Buddhist images and Bo Tree, under which Siddhartha Gautama is said to have achieved enlightenment...With the surge of Brahmanical philosophers like Adi Shankara, along with Madhvacharya and Ramanuja, three leaders in the revival of Brahmanical philosophy, Buddhism started to fade out rapidly from the landscape of India."

and Ashoka beheaded 18,000 Ajivikas AFTER he became Buddhist,,,The point that Buddhism was VIOLENTLY destroyed by Hinduism is an old trope of Western Historians and Marxist Indian Historians..without nary an evidence whatsoever..read the scholarly texts that Ven.Dhammanando uploaded in the thread why Jainism survived and Buddhism didnot..

and yes there was a revival in Hinduims, but that is not necessarily a bad thing

dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:59 pm

Indeed sir. Buddhists in many places ended up failing to muster even the most basic critiques of ideologies that avowed to wipe them out. This fatalism is strange for a tradition that has such a radical view on kamma. I've said it before, Buddhists usually end up out-jaining the Jainas with their intense fatalism when faced with an existential threat.

And yes, Hinduism often gets the blame. Sigh...
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.