Where pigs were molested ... ???

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Pondera

Where pigs were molested ... ???

Post by Pondera » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:55 am

MAJJHIMA NIKâYA II
II. 3. 4 Dãghanakhasuttaü
(74) Advice to Dighanakha the wandering Ascetic

I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One lived on vultures' peak where pigs were molested, in Rajagaha. Then the wandering ascetic Dighanakha approached the Blessed One, exchanged friendly greetings, stood on a side, and said to the Blessed One: `Good Gotama, I'm of this view, and declare Everything is not pleasingño me'.
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ha-e1.html

What's going on here?
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

tiltbillings

Re: Where pigs were molested ... ???

Post by tiltbillings » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:01 am

Pondera wrote:
MAJJHIMA NIKâYA II
II. 3. 4 Dãghanakhasuttaü
(74) Advice to Dighanakha the wandering Ascetic

I heard thus. At one time the Blessed One lived on vultures' peak where pigs were molested, in Rajagaha. Then the wandering ascetic Dighanakha approached the Blessed One, exchanged friendly greetings, stood on a side, and said to the Blessed One: `Good Gotama, I'm of this view, and declare Everything is not pleasingño me'.
http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/ ... ha-e1.html

What's going on here?
Really bad translation. "I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rajagaha on Vulture's Peak Mountain, in the Boar's Cave." See.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:27 am

Who translated the one about the molested pigs?

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:35 am

:jawdrop:

Now that's a new phrase for me...
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Bakmoon

Post by Bakmoon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:47 am

The word molested in its basic meaning just means harmed or hurt, but over time was used as a euphemism and now usually carries the exclusive meaning of being harmed sexually, but sometimes you will see it used in its old meaning. In writing you might see something like "It was cold and the winds were bitter, but we were able to make our way all the way to the car unmolested" or the like. I think here it's just one of those silly deliberate archaisms thrown in just to make a text sound vaguely more 'religious' or something.
The non-doing of any evil,
The performance of what's skillful,
The cleansing of one's own mind:
This is the Buddhas' teaching.

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:32 am

Pondera wrote:What's going on here?
Sister Upalavaṇṇā's translations seem to have been done in great haste and are extremely poor.

From the Dictionary of Pali Proper Names:
  • Sūkarakhatalena

A cave on the side of Gijjhakūta, where the Buddha stayed. There he preached the Dīghanakha (or Vedanāpariggaha) Sutta to Dīghanakha. Sāriputta was also present, and the sutta led to his attainment of arahantship (M.i.497, 501; DhA.i.79; UdA.189).

A conversation which the Buddha had there with Sāriputta is recorded in the Samyutta Nikāya (S.v.233f). The Commentary says (SA.iii.197) that, in the time of Kassapa Buddha, this cave was found as a hollow in the ground when the earth was yet growing, during the interval between the two Buddhas. One day a boar dug up the soil in the neighbourhood of the ground which concealed the cave. The sky god sent rain which washed away the soil, and the cave was disclosed.

A forest dweller saw it and looked after it, thinking it to be the dwelling of holy men. He removed the earth round it, fenced it in, cleaned it out, and, making it as beautiful as a golden bowl, furnished it with couch and stool and presented it to the Buddha. The cave was deep and could only be reached by climbing.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:45 pm

I think it is a joke. Isn't a "boar's cave" the porcine equivalent of a bachelor pad and isn't that where bachelors might molest a young and naive sow if she could be tempted to enter there?
chownah

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm

chownah wrote:I think it is a joke. Isn't a "boar's cave" the porcine equivalent of a bachelor pad and isn't that where bachelors might molest a young and naive sow if she could be tempted to enter there?
No. If the female boar is young and naïve, then she's a gilt, not a sow. Hey, I thought you were a farmer!
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”

chownah

Post by chownah » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
chownah wrote:I think it is a joke. Isn't a "boar's cave" the porcine equivalent of a bachelor pad and isn't that where bachelors might molest a young and naive sow if she could be tempted to enter there?
No. If the female boar is young and naïve, then she's a gilt, not a sow. Hey, I thought you were a farmer!
I guess many of them that is tempted and succomb may have we bit o' guilt. Hey, I thought you could spell!

I'm not a pig farmer. I've never heard the term "gilt". I'm wondering if it might be a british word not used in the colonies.
Edit: I just googled and found out that gilt is legitimate and perfectly cromulent for use in the colonies. I imagine that some of he bachelors do not require proof of gilt before beginning the temptation but I can't believe that I am posting about this on a buddhist forum.
chownah

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:42 pm

chownah wrote:I guess many of them that is tempted and succomb may have we bit o' guilt. Hey, I thought you could spell!
:lol:
I'm not a pig farmer. I've never heard the term "gilt". I'm wondering if it might be a british word not used in the colonies.
It seems to have cognates in all the germanic languages. In fact I remember way back when I was a philology student I learned the Icelandic form gylt (an ablauted form of the Old Norse gǫltr) before I had ever encountered the English one.

Pondera

Post by Pondera » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:55 am

A conversation which the Buddha had there with Sāriputta is recorded in the Samyutta Nikāya (S.v.233f). The Commentary says (SA.iii.197) that, in the time of Kassapa Buddha, this cave was found as a hollow in the ground when the earth was yet growing, during the interval between the two Buddhas. One day a boar dug up the soil in the neighbourhood of the ground which concealed the cave. The sky god sent rain which washed away the soil, and the cave was disclosed.
Almost as though the boar molested the cave.
What is “rupa” Jhāna? Here are four simple meditations on earth, water, fire, and wind - leading to tranquility and pleasure, rapture and equanimity - peacehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=1sdgpi ... hIz3wgz7ep

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:07 am

chownah wrote:...gilt is legitimate and perfectly cromulent ...
I guess some of them could be perfectly corpulent - the species is known for it, after all - but what happened to your own spelling?

:popcorn:
Kim

cooran

Post by cooran » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:17 am

Cromulent
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Cromulent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 am

Sigh.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, Chris. Life is humdrum enough already.

:coffee:
Kim

Pondera

Post by Pondera » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 am

cooran wrote:Cromulent
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =Cromulent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The aurora BOREALIS!