Welding trade

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
sattva

Re: Welding trade

Post by sattva » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:02 am

My dad was a sheet-metal worker the latter part of his working life and his brother was a welder. They both made good money. I know my dad often didn't work in the best of situations, cold, heat, high places and the like. There were times he worked out of town and only came home on the weekends. I think that most of this is also true for welders. That said, my dad is heading towards 96 years of age and still drives and gets around well. There can be some advantageous to having a physical job. Just be sure to use protective gear. My dad did have a small sliver of metal go into his eye one time. Good luck.

santa100

Post by santa100 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Disciple wrote:
santa100 wrote:More info. about the profession is available at payscale.com..
These wages look very little in comparison to the ones here.First year apprentice welders even with non union start off at around 20 an hour and top out at around 40.
The main page only shows the average. There're other options on that page for enhanced search based on city, job title, experience, etc. which can give a more accurate number based on those factors..

Disciple

Post by Disciple » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:31 pm

sattva wrote:My dad was a sheet-metal worker the latter part of his working life and his brother was a welder. They both made good money. I know my dad often didn't work in the best of situations, cold, heat, high places and the like. There were times he worked out of town and only came home on the weekends. I think that most of this is also true for welders. That said, my dad is heading towards 96 years of age and still drives and gets around well. There can be some advantageous to having a physical job. Just be sure to use protective gear. My dad did have a small sliver of metal go into his eye one time. Good luck.
Not too sure yet. I'm looking at other trades as well but by far welding looks like the more enjoyable one out of all.

rowboat

Post by rowboat » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi, Disciple. So you are in Canada and you're thinking about the trades. I suggest you consider community college and entering your chosen profession through the formal apprenticeship route. These programs are competitive and very information dense.

Here is the Red Seal website.

If you look on Youtube there are a lot of videos showing "a day in the life of ____." If you want to get a better sense of the terrain, look around for videos produced by the tradespeople themselves.

Like these:

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

DhammaOS

Post by DhammaOS » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:20 am

Much of what has been said here seems to match with what I have heard as well about welding. Decent trades like welding are generally always in demand no matter what is going on so I don't see any problem with it. Something always has to be welded after all.

Also, you can get into welding through a good tech school that won't break the bank either if you are looking for formal education.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami

SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:42 am

My father was a welder for the Coal Mines through much of my childhood. He provided well for us. However, they rotated shifts so he would be working at night sometimes and we wouldn't see him for up to two weeks at a time. I imagine owning your own business would eliminate that problem.

with Metta,
SamBodhi
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon