Anyone interest in helping the Torqz Project? \/,.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
torqz

Anyone interest in helping the Torqz Project? \/,.

Post by torqz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:11 pm

The Intentions of Torqz.

My intentions are to set up a not-for-profit organization/charity (Called Torqz).
Please note Torqz does not currently have charity status, but this is an intention if practical (and in agreement with the trustee’s necessary).

Some of the aims of the organization are:

• I am looking at building a team of people who are interested in helping to operate a network of emergency (distributed) peer-to-peer call-centers (charity/not-for profit) offering humanitarian aid to financially poorer countries in time of need or disaster.

• I am looking for people who would like to help organize the logistics involved in dealing with emergency aid.

• I would like to open the project up to help poorer countries with education, health-aid and the mechanics of moving food around form areas where there is a surplus to areas where they don't have sufficient.

• I would like to evoke the Open Source ideal also with no 1 person in control i.e. democratic/anarchy (in a good way!) A self-regulating autonomous system.

• The overall emphasis - education and communication.

• I would like Torqz to operate strictly in line with the Buddha-Dhamma.

If you would like to get involved in the project, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Peter Adams Torqz Ltd. (Torqz Unincorporated).

http://www.torqz.com _/|\_
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!

sattva

Re: Anyone interest in helping the Torqz Project? \/,.

Post by sattva » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 am

Hello Peter. While I think your idea has some merit, I am not familiar with you. There are people here such as Ben and David N. Snyder who are well-known, even if only in an online way, to many of us here at Dhamma Wheel and from the now defunct E-Sangha. I think it is always easier to support someone you know, especially when they have proven themselves to be upstanding individuals.

So, some questions I have for you are this:
Where and how long and with who do you practice? What practical attributes do you bring to the table? What kind of organizational experience do you have? Why don't you have charity status at this point? Have you investigated to see if there is already an organization (such as Buddhist Global Relief) that is already involved with the services that you would supply? Would there be overlapping of services? What are the main reasons you have for starting this organization? Is there anything you think that you can accomplish that is not already being done by some other charity/organization, and why?

I hope these questions don't seem confrontational. They are not intended to be, but are more of an exploratory nature to get to know you better as a person and the motivation to start this organization.
Kind regards :anjali:
sattva

torqz

Re: Anyone interest in helping the Torqz Project? \/,.

Post by torqz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Namo Buddhaya Sattva _/|\_

Apologies for taking so long to reply, I realize 3 months is possibly pushing it a bit!

I can understand having reservations about supporting someone you don't know. I am hoping this project will grow beyond just one person eventually, that is the plan.

I have considered myself Buddhist (off and on) for about 10 years now. The last year or so I don't even consider myself 'Buddhist' anymore as there are so many forms of 'Buddhim' I think its confusing (A western term in any case). I like to think I try to follow the Buddha-Dhamma (and Sangha) and that is it. If people ask I say "I try to follow the Buddha-Dhamma" or similar.

I am ascociated with my local Srilankan Asapuwa community (Mahamevenawa UK) and also visit Ven. Bhikkhu Pesala (A British monk) from time to time. I think Ven. Pesala is quite well known on here?

I have heard about Buddhist Global Relief - If they had offices in London or Essex I think then yes perhaps I would abandon my idea and join forces with them but I have worked in the charity sector and I personally think it is important to tap into local talent i.e. interns etc. It's better for them too as the individuals concerned would get real work experience of going to an office/place of work etc.

I think where the Torqz project would differ, if it were to get off the ground is the idea concerns a distributed system of call centers unbound by political control. In the same way that you download a torrent file from perhaps 50 people at the same time the Torqz project (communications network) could be distributed over a wide area to avoid disruption to services (and to allow re-routing of services if required).

It would be nice if the service/network could be used by charities such as Buddhist Global Releif http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/ and Dr.'s without borders etc http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

(I would like to state at this point I am aware that Suprmeme Buddha has said that one should respect the local governing rule, and I wouldn't want the Torqz project to be part of breaking any local laws).

Anyway if people want to give there time (perhaps the most valuable commodity these days) please send me an email so I can add your details to a mailing list and we can start to discuss… Not too much talk though, time to get things moving…

Peter Adams, http://www.torqz.com
May the triple gem bless bless you, may you quickly realize the 4 noble truths in this Gautama Buddhas dispensation... Sādhu! Sādhu! Sādhu!