WW3 is not inevitable: what we can do to prevent it

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
manas

WW3 is not inevitable: what we can do to prevent it

Post by manas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:13 am

Hi everyone,

there are plenty of sensationalist and silly videos around this topic, but this one just gives a simple and verifiable explanation as to why we are headed for a large scale global conflict, but most importantly, ALSO tells us what we can do to prevent it from happening.

https://archive.org/details/WorldWarIii ... dTheWorlds

Curious to hear of what others think of this. I'm very impressed by this guy, I think he's right on the money - if you'll pardon the pun.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

SarathW

Re: WW3 is not inevitable: what we can do to prevent it

Post by SarathW » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 am

Do not worry about the world war out side but worry about world war inside.
Get out of here ASAP.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 am

Of course humanity could be very easily wiped out by something very large and unstoppable crashing into the planet, or by one of the Earth's supervulcanos such as the Yellowstone Caldera which could massively erupt, and good-bye humanity. A highly virulent viral disease is also a real possibility. Keep in mind that the universe does not really care about us. We, as a whole, can be wiped away by any number of causes as easy as, if not easier than, Pompeii.

A world war has, to date, been avoided because there has been enough sanity to prevail despite the madness that has brought us to the brink more than once in my life time, but there is no guarantee that will always be the case.

As Gandhi did not say: “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” (What he actually said: “If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.”) In either case, albeit a small thing in face of the largeness of the world and its human over-population, we can try to be good human beings, we can try to exert ourselves in the direction of positive change by our lives, which includes our Dhamma practice, and by supporting political candidates and causes that are as like minded as possible.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:30 am

And one other point, we do have a responsibility to our fellow sentient beings, and we should act accordingly.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:46 am

Although I personally do not wish to justify war I think your clip misses out on the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq which would seem to be an important detail for the cause of Golf War 1.

No doubt there are vested interest groups who influence the direction that our countries move. Not so sure that there is a thought out, coordinated, long term, strategy/conspiracy. More just a continuation of ignorance, in my opinion.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:01 am

Mr Man wrote:Although I personally do not wish to justify war I think your clip misses out on the invasion of Kuwait by Iraq which would seem to be an important detail for the cause of Golf War 1.

No doubt there are vested interest groups who influence the direction that our countries move. Not so sure that there is a thought out, coordinated, long term, strategy/conspiracy. More just a continuation of ignorance, in my opinion.
People like conspiracy theories, which the OP link is devoted to.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:49 am

SarathW wrote:Do not worry about the world war out side but worry about world war inside.
:)
I agree, that's really where we can make a difference, and then hopefully the small positive effect we have in our local "world". I'm pretty disillusioned with all the large-scale political issues these days. I voted for Tony Blair and then he led us into a disastrous and illegal war in Iraq. :?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:10 pm

To avoid war I suggest promoting solar.....revenue obtained from the oil trade is what is financing most of the waring groups in the world.

Just think how different the world would be if all the people in the world were independent of the oil producers......the middle east would continue to squabble with each other but it would be a more local sort of conflict as there would not be huge oil revenues financing misadverture.....just think how clean the air would be.....no smog from vehicles and way way less emissions from industry.....I've been saying this for about 30 years now and I'm very happy to see that soon it might actually happen.

chownah

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:46 pm

tiltbillings wrote:Keep in mind that the universe does not really care about us. We, as a whole, can be wiped away by any number of causes as easy as, if not easier than, Pompeii.
Robert Brockway's fascinating overview of all the ways the universe might zap us ...
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
  • CONTENTS
    Intro

NEAR MISSES
    1. Stanislav Petrov
    2. Klebsiella planticola

CURRENT THREATS
    3. Frankencrops
    4. Sterility
    5. New Energy

NATURAL DISASTERS
    6. Supervolcano
    7. Megatsunami
    8. Hypercane

NANOTECH THREATS
    9. Green Goo
    10. Gray Goo
    11. Nanolitter

SPACE DISASTERS
    12. Asteroids and Extinction-Level Events
    13. Verneshot
    14. Pole Shift

BIOTECH THREATS
    15. Biotech Incentive
    16. Biotech Contagion
    17. Biotech Lethality

ROBOT THREATS
    18. Robot Autonomy
    19. Robot Immorality
    20. Robot Ability
The hypercane, as Brockway describes it, sounds like quite a charmer:
A hypercane could vary anywhere from a measly ten miles in diameter to the size of an entire continent, but in the patronizing words of your ex-wife, “size doesn’t matter, honey, it’s how you use it,” because even the smallest hypercane would have the same planet-killing effects as a continent-sized storm. A hypercane has winds of over five hundred miles an hour—more than enough to rip the skin from your body, not just to dismantle a house but to completely disintegrate it, and to send entire cities hurtling through the air like a normal hurricane would send trees. For a better idea of how devastating this event would be, think of it like this: A hypercane moves the very air around you at about the speed of a typical airliner. So the odds of surviving a hypercane would be about the same as surviving on a planet where the entire atmosphere—the very air itself—consisted solely of jumbo jets traveling at top speed. Clearly, your basement ain’t gonna help much when you’re trying to breathe in airplanes.

As an added bonus, a hypercane would also have a plume rising twenty miles right up into space. So if you ever dreamed of being an astronaut—now’s your chance! You’ll most likely be some form of jelly when you achieve that dream, but hey, we all make sacrifices for our goals, right? That plume is the truly worrying part: It would raise water, dirt, debris, and of course the obligatory trailer parks twenty miles straight up into the stratosphere. For those of you coming from public schools, that’s like the bottom of space! This sudden influx of matter in the upper atmosphere would punch a hole right through the ozone layer and scatter everything formerly safe on the ground into orbit. On the plus side, suborbital trailer parks sound marginally more livable than normal trailer parks, but on the downside, the debris would then act as a superpollutant, blocking out the sun, poisoning the air, and triggering even further planetary devastation. The water and dust molecules introduced to this fragile area would also block the atmosphere’s ability to absorb harmful ultraviolet light. So hey, if you do manage to survive the actual hypercane with the power of clean living and intense prayer, you still get terminal space cancer if you ever see the sun again. Jesus, it’s like it not only wants to kill you, but also plans to take away everything good about your life if it can’t. The hypercane sounds so epically awful that it would have been equally at home in either science fiction or as a Care Bears villain—just out to steal joy away from the world.
Then on the lighter side there's the Welsh writer David Langford's Earthdoom (1987), a spoof disaster novel in which our planet is simultaneously afflicted with everything from polar slippage to an invasion of rabid alien lemmings to the reappearance in South Devon of a time-travelling Hitler. All a bit daft, though scarcely more so than the OP's link.

manas

Post by manas » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:37 am

I think the guy in the video I linked to, makes a few salient points, and I'm surprised no one else here agrees. I only have one issue with his idea, though: the 'powers that be' (the "0.01 percent" financial elite) already live in incredible luxury and splendor compared to the rest of us. I mean, a mansion in every continent, travel anywhere in a private jet on a whim, you name it...well if they get us into ww3 there goes their splendid way of life. No more enjoying lovely privately owned tropical islands. No more villa in the South of France. No more jet-setting around. Cos they would be ruling the planet from the safely of a deep underground bunker while the Earth above remained in deep nuclear winter for god knows how long. So I'm not really sure that the elites want a full-scale war, cos that could easily morph into a thermonuclear war, and if that happened their glorious way of life would also cease (the fact that most of our lives would actually cease altogether would not be a concern for them) . I'm sure they prefer their Mansions, villas etc to an underground bunker, however wonderfully stocked and well-equipped it is.
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:58 am

I watched that video. It is quite good and make lot of sense.
But what is the solution.
Even Buddha could not stop the war.
He just sit helplessly when his relative Sakyan clan was massacred by the enemy.
But they could not harm Buddha.
They all come down to Karma.

=======
The war start at home.
-Husband is war with wife
-Children are at war with parents
-Neighbours are war at each other
-Business people are at War
-Politicians are at war
-People in the internet are at war.
-The small wars escalated to big wars.
So only way to stop the war is to stope the internal war in the individual mind!

:thinking:
========
Butterfly effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfD1OsP-Bv8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
Last edited by SarathW on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:19 am

Buddha save me from new-agers!

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:11 am

manas wrote:I think the guy in the video I linked to, makes a few salient points, and I'm surprised no one else here agrees. I only have one issue with his idea, though: the 'powers that be' (the "0.01 percent" financial elite) already live in incredible luxury and splendor compared to the rest of us. I mean, a mansion in every continent, travel anywhere in a private jet on a whim, you name it...well if they get us into ww3 there goes their splendid way of life. No more enjoying lovely privately owned tropical islands. No more villa in the South of France. No more jet-setting around. Cos they would be ruling the planet from the safely of a deep underground bunker while the Earth above remained in deep nuclear winter for god knows how long. So I'm not really sure that the elites want a full-scale war, cos that could easily morph into a thermonuclear war, and if that happened their glorious way of life would also cease (the fact that most of our lives would actually cease altogether would not be a concern for them) . I'm sure they prefer their Mansions, villas etc to an underground bunker, however wonderfully stocked and well-equipped it is.
The problem with conspiracies is precisely the assumption that there is a rational and calculating agent behind big events that connects them together. The completely avoidable 2008 financial crisis proved one thing to me: the 'powers that be' are only interested in short term profit. The longest they think about is mid term profit. If they thought about long term profit, there wouldn't be a 2008 financial crisis. Multiple warnings from reputable regulation agents were made, without any effect.
So far it has been convenient to defend the dollar. If it ever becomes convenient otherwise, it will be otherwise.

The only institutions that are interested in long term strategy are the armies of each country. These men joined the army and risk their lives to defend a reasonably abstract idea such as "nation". And these armies are also decadent with greed, corruption, lazyness and incompetence. If you want the proof that we are waaaaaaaaaaaay more lost than we would like to think, please watch the excelent segment of "Last Week Tonight, with John Oliver" about the complete negligence with nuclear weapons.

"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:39 pm

manas wrote:So I'm not really sure that the elites want a full-scale war, cos that could easily morph into a thermonuclear war, and if that happened their glorious way of life would also cease (the fact that most of our lives would actually cease altogether would not be a concern for them) . I'm sure they prefer their Mansions, villas etc to an underground bunker, however wonderfully stocked and well-equipped it is.
The vast majority of wealthy people do not want ww3. The only ones that benefit from the continual wars are the military-industrial-complex, possibly Big Oil, and possibly some bankers (certainly not all bankers and virtually every nation has a central bank, btw, not just the U.S. and not all of them are advocating war). The rest of the wealthy people do not benefit and actually stand to lose a lot of wealth in higher taxes to pay for the wars. Smart wealthy people are opposed to wars including Bill Gates, Buffet, Oprah Winfrey, etc. An increasing number of wealthy people are leaving the pro-war wing of the U.S. Republican party, or going to Libertarians or Democratic party or independent.

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:36 am

Who are you kidding, 90% of Americans rich and poor are in favour of war against ISIS, and thats just the kind of war that could snowball into a world war against islam. ISIS is just conservative Islam, fight that and pretty soon you're fighting moderate Islam and then liberal Islam, the christian equivalent would be waging a war against Jerry Falwell's followers etc.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/