I am a "buddha"

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
gben

Re: I am a "buddha"

Post by gben »

beeblebrox wrote:This reminds me of the Lotus Sutra, except there is something which makes it a bit different. It says that the Buddha arises when there are people who are gentle, reverent and upright, but then that he disappears when people are perverse and arrogant. (Chapter 16, "The Lifespan of Tathagata."):anjali:

Time is best spent on ten who need a small push over the edge than one who needs all the time and still will never see the edge. But opportunities on the way to the market are not passed by.

Everything that is done in the course of daily life can serve as an example, who is watching when? Since the buddha is always aware of the self and it's actions, the buddha is always a good example to any who happen to be watching.

Those without self knowledge, those living in their own world never know when their actions are destructive, so their example is destructive.
gben

Post by gben »

tiltbillings wrote:Do give us your definition, since you are the one making the claim about yourself.

What has not been the definition?
beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

gben wrote:Time is best spent on ten who need a small push over the edge than one who needs all the time and still will never see the edge. But opportunities on the way to the market are not passed by.
Hi GBen,

Who is this one guy?
Last edited by beeblebrox on Wed May 07, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Do give us your definition, since you are the one making the claim about yourself.

What has not been the definition?
Just give us a straightforward definition of "enlightenment" that would fit your self-claim.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

gben,

You may think that speaking in riddles and paradoxes makes you enlightened. But all it shows is that you are clever, at best. Or you are very confused, at worst. Or a mix of both.

Sometimes you just have to admit you're wrong, confused, or ignorant in these "big question" matters. Getting some humility and calling BS on oneself is something some people never get around to in life. Don't be one of them. You're smarter than that.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
gben

Post by gben »

beeblebrox wrote:Hi GBen,Who is this one guy?

The one that refuses to contemplate.
gben

Post by gben »

tiltbillings wrote:Just give us a straightforward definition of "enlightenment" that would fit your self-claim.
gben wrote:

The free can flip the switch at will, the free can be light or dark at will as is required.

The light is always there, the switch turns the dark on or off, the self on or off, the thought on or off.

You were born in the light and lost in the dark. You forgot where the switch is. When you remember where the switch is you will turn off the self and see the world again.

Finding the switch is your only priority. You will find it when you no longer wonder where it is or what it is.

Never think unless it helps the continuity of life, all other thoughts are destructive.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Just give us a straightforward definition of "enlightenment" that would fit your self-claim.
gben wrote:

The free can flip the switch at will, the free can be light or dark at will as is required.

The light is always there, the switch turns the dark on or off, the self on or off, the thought on or off.

You were born in the light and lost in the dark. You forgot where the switch is. When you remember where the switch is you will turn off the self and see the world again.

Finding the switch is your only priority. You will find it when you no longer wonder where it is or what it is.

Never think unless it helps the continuity of life, all other thoughts are destructive.
And this makes you a Buddha? According to who?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
gben

Post by gben »

Mkoll wrote:gben, You may think that speaking in riddles and paradoxes makes you enlightened.

It is the nature of communication. Specify what looks like a paradox or riddle to you and I will try to arrange it so it no longer does. If you assume everyone sees as you do then you, then they will do all sorts of strange things won't they?
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

gben can you please tell us about yourself - no need to get into details like name and what city but in general like
what country are you from ? for how long do you practice ? what way did you use to meditate ?
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

gben wrote:
Mkoll wrote:gben, You may think that speaking in riddles and paradoxes makes you enlightened.

It is the nature of communication. Specify what looks like a paradox or riddle to you and I will try to arrange it so it no longer does. If you assume everyone sees as you do then you, then they will do all sorts of strange things won't they?
Sure. Here are a few.
gben wrote: This has never been before and never will again for it is dead.

There are no steps to freedom,there is only freedom and self.

You will find it when you no longer wonder where it is or what it is.

A debate is between two things, Since there are only two things to debate, only one debate is necessary..

What appears here is not thinking, only seeing. Anything written following "gben" can be found anywhere and everywhere else, it belongs to no one, look and see.

The only person who sees people are those who separate them from the rest of life.
SDC

Post by SDC »

gben wrote:
SDC wrote:An awakened being would have no use for such a charade. In fact they would know it would do more harm than good. :zzz:

What set and dead definition of "enlightenment" are you using? Post it here and I will tell you how it appears from the real world. Or has it already been posted here?

Nothing is going to be physically harmed by these words. That leaves only some ego? Then you are saying these words are a positive force in the world.
You must have mistaken my post as a challenge. It wasn't. You've made yourself perfectly clear.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
gben

Post by gben »

tiltbillings wrote:And this makes you a Buddha? According to who?

How many definitions are there for you to choose from? And what criteria will a single "who" use to choose one out of those many? What else is the "who" capable of besides choosing comfort? Therefore are not the choices of every "who" equal to one another and equally without merit?

The "who" is incapable of looking at a crowded room and picking out the buddha, so how could it look through a pile of books and say which are true and which are false?

Would it make sense that a buddha can see other buddhas, and that a buddha can look at a pile of books and say which is true?

Then it follows that if one does pick and choose then they are either a buddha, or they are choosing comfort, there are only two choices. As the who sees nothing but itself, the world it created and roams, whatever it chooses will not exist outside that world, it's choice is known nowhere else.

If you say you know another, then you have to say that another can know you, and can any other know you? Can the "who" even know itself if it has no view from the real world?

If you asked a buddha if they were a buddha there is no reason for them not to say "yes", I am awake, aware, free. Did not the historical buddha? Since all buddhas come from the same place, they will all have the same answer.

If someone writes down what you say today and it is read by another in three thousand years, are they going to know what it means or decide what it means? If it is read after three minutes will it have a better chance?

Put any definition you are comfortable with before a buddha and they will know it's origin. What is your choice?
gben

Post by gben »

purple planet wrote:gben can you please tell us about yourself - no need to get into details like name and what city but in general like
what country are you from ? for how long do you practice ? what way did you use to meditate ?

If what follows can not stand by itself then it is not real, for nothing real is dependent.

If something is "used" to meditate, then it is not meditation. If one sits cultivating an image, then all they will acquire is the ability to cultivate that image. If one needs a location or material object to "meditate" , then it is not meditation as only the self needs possessions. If the real world is not dependent on an image or any object, then why would anything that is real? When there is no image or object or thought then there is meditation and freedom.
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Well, real is not virtual. And virtual is not real. But reality can have a virtual component and virtuality can have a real component. Meditation is about the reality of virtuality having a real component as much as it is about virtuality having a real component. But cultivating a real image requires a real object, even though cultivating a virtual image can be done by either a real or virtual object. But the fact is that virtual images are real. If not, why would anyone cultivate a virtually real object in reality? And I make as much sense as you do.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)