My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Bhikkhu Pesala

My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This seems like a nice way to introduce young children to the Buddha.

What do you think?

My First Buddha
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Kasina

Re: My First Buddha - Soft and Cuddly

Post by Kasina »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:This seems like a nice way to introduce young children to the Buddha.

What do you think?

My First Buddha
Cute. I'd like one too...
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I like it! Looks like a possibly nice way for Dhamma propagation too as it could be a conversation piece in Buddhist homes.

:clap:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Definately not keen on the idea of a cuddly Buddha toy myself. It looks rather like something from the Muppets.

I wouldn't be suprised if a squeaker that says "Om" got added to it eventually.

:)
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:This seems like a nice way to introduce young children to the Buddha.

What do you think?

My First Buddha
Awesome! Now all they need to do is export it to Asian Theravada countries to stir up another controversy.

But seriously, I like it. Now they need to make a six-foot tall version of the plush Buddha so that I can place it standing in my living room.

Forget young children, I need one for myself, now!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think they already made a six foot version, but maybe that's just a promo version.

They also used the Dhamma Wheel Logo at the bottom of their page.
Attachments
Six Foot Buddha.jpg
Six Foot Buddha.jpg (63.41 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Aloka wrote:.
Definately not keen on the idea of a cuddly Buddha toy myself. It looks rather like something from the Muppets.

I agree with Aloka. I think it trivialises the Buddha by reducing him to a Teddy Bear status.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:

I agree with Aloka. I think it trivialises the Buddha by reducing him to a Teddy Bear status.

With metta,
Chris
There are worse things:
Attachments
bam.jpg
bam.jpg (29.04 KiB) Viewed 4266 times
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

cooran wrote:I agree with Aloka. I think it trivialises the Buddha by reducing him to a Teddy Bear status.

With metta,
Chris
I think the pros outweigh the cons here.I am not so sure about the tee-shirts, or other items, but this will create happy associations in the minds of young Buddhists. Later, they can understand better about reverence, and the profound wisdom of the Buddha.
Ben

Post by Ben »

cooran wrote:

With metta,
Chris
I agree.
As a parent, I think there is no better way to introduce Buddhism to one's children than actually walking on the path and living an exemplary life that informed by the Dhamma.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
cooran wrote:I agree with Aloka. I think it trivialises the Buddha by reducing him to a Teddy Bear status.

With metta,
Chris
I think the pros outweigh the cons here.I am not so sure about the tee-shirts, or other items, but this will create happy associations in the minds of young Buddhists. Later, they can understand better about reverence, and the profound wisdom of the Buddha.
This juvenile senior agrees with the esteemed bhikkhu on this.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

At Jhana Grove, in Ajahn Brahm's retreats, they have plush teddy bears. Anyone with heavy amounts of ill will is encouraged to meditate with a teddy bear in their lap.

Guess what the next step up is gonna be?! :D Or maybe they won't go there...
cooran wrote: I think it trivialises the Buddha by reducing him to a Teddy Bear status.
But from a 3-year-old's point of view, it's not a trivialization. It could be the next step up from a teddy bear. If you hold a plush Buddha in front of a 3-year-old and weave it into your bedtime story about kindness and harmlessness I bet they'll be more attentive.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?

:rolleye:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?

Of course the other option is jump up and down shouting "sacrilege!!!" Obviously, opinions are going to vary.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

tiltbillings wrote:
Aloka wrote:What bizarre idea next I wonder, perhaps a cuddly Jesus and a companion plump god with detachable cloud ?

Of course the other option is jump up and down shouting "sacrilege!!!"
Nah, my other option is to log off from the internet and have a nice cuppa tea and a sultana sponge finger cake !

Goodnight.

:anjali: