Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha?

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18438
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Ben »

Cianna200 wrote:I feel like ''the idiot that came.'' :cry:
You are no idiot, Cianna.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..
Cianna200
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Cianna200 »

Ben wrote:
Cianna200 wrote:I feel like ''the idiot that came.'' :cry:
You are no idiot, Cianna.
The above people obviously think so, maybe I should have kept my thoughts to myself. :sad:
User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 13424
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by DNS »

Cianna200 wrote: The above people obviously think so, maybe I should have kept my thoughts to myself. :sad:
It's not a bad thought. As Bhikkhu Bodhi discussed in his essay, one extreme is to say that all religions, all paths "are one". Another extreme is fundamentalism. While they are 2 extremes, the syncretic one is certainly the nicer one. ;)

It's just that this is a Buddhist forum, so as can be predicted most here feel that the Buddha attained liberation and thus, has no more rebirths, not as Jesus or anything else. This is not to say that Jesus was bad and in fact the Gnostic texts you quote do have some similarities; not exactly the same, but perhaps some similarities. Also the teachings on love and compassion in the traditional gospels too, can also resonate with some Dhammic teachings; the Golden Rule, for example among others.
User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6544
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Mkoll »

Cianna200 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Cianna200 wrote:I feel like ''the idiot that came.'' :cry:
You are no idiot, Cianna.
The above people obviously think so, maybe I should have kept my thoughts to myself. :sad:
If you're referring to me under the vague umbrella "the above people", I don't think you're an idiot. I just think you're equivocating, something that we've all done in the past and in all likelihood will continue to do in the future. And less is always better in this case.

But if my words caused you undue distress, I sincerely apologize.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
User avatar
waterchan
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Location: Kamaloka

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by waterchan »

Cianna200 wrote:
Ben wrote:
Cianna200 wrote:I feel like ''the idiot that came.'' :cry:
You are no idiot, Cianna.
The above people obviously think so, maybe I should have kept my thoughts to myself. :sad:
Technically I'm not one of the "above people" since I was on page 1 of this thread :D I definitely didn't think you were an idiot, though. But like Mkoll said, I did feel that you were equivocating as well. And who cares how others see you, as long as you learned something or got something out of the exchange. :smile: :heart:
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Cianna200
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Cianna200 »

What is equivocating?
User avatar
waterchan
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Location: Kamaloka

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by waterchan »

Cianna200 wrote:What is equivocating?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/equivocate?s=t
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Cianna200
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Cianna200 »

Some people believe I'm a wolf in sheep's clothing when I'm trying to help
User avatar
Ben
Posts: 18438
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: kanamaluka

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Ben »

Let's do try and remain on topic, please.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..
Coyote
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Location: Wales - UK

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Coyote »

Cianna: I'd be interested to know how you understand "love" in the context of Christ/Buddha's teachings.

As for the Buddha being the only one enlightened being: There have been many enlightened beings throughout history, both Buddhas and Arahants. In Theravada tradition, we call those who have reached enlightenment because of the teachings of another Arahants. The Theravada school teaches that there can only exist one Samma-Sam-Buddha (commonly called just Buddha) at a time. He discovers the path without a teacher, and out of compassion teaches us. Gotama Buddha is the Samma-Sam-Buddha of our age. Until his teachings are lost, a Samma-Sam-Buddha cannot arise again. It is logical to me that there can only be one discoverer of something until that something is lost again.
Also, to teach that there is a state higher than that of Nibbana would not be correct from a Theravada point of view. Many Mahayana schools teach that there are higher states than arahant-hood, but from a Theravada perspective this is not correct.

As for knowing Christ is not enlightened: Aside from the fact that I would seriously question any literature, especially Gnostic texts, as being the authentic teaching of Christ - My understanding is that scholarship generally places these at a later date and as being less reliable than earlier texts. Not to mention the fact that there existed many Gnostic sects so I cannot believe their texts don't contradict one another. I don't think anywhere Christ, either the Christian or Gnostic version ever taught Dhamma as I understand it. Anatta, Anicca, Dukkha, Kamma as intention and many other teachings just simply don't appear in Christian or Gnostic literature. If you could point to where they do I would be very happy. This would be the benchmark for testing a persons enlightenment.

Perhaps this will help you understand the Theravada position: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_21.html
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Cianna200
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:30 pm

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Cianna200 »

Coyote wrote:Cianna: I'd be interested to know how you understand "love" in the context of Christ/Buddha's teachings.

As for the Buddha being the only one enlightened being: There have been many enlightened beings throughout history, both Buddhas and Arahants. In Theravada tradition, we call those who have reached enlightenment because of the teachings of another Arahants. The Theravada school teaches that there can only exist one Samma-Sam-Buddha (commonly called just Buddha) at a time. He discovers the path without a teacher, and out of compassion teaches us. Gotama Buddha is the Samma-Sam-Buddha of our age. Until his teachings are lost, a Samma-Sam-Buddha cannot arise again. It is logical to me that there can only be one discoverer of something until that something is lost again.
Also, to teach that there is a state higher than that of Nibbana would not be correct from a Theravada point of view. Many Mahayana schools teach that there are higher states than arahant-hood, but from a Theravada perspective this is not correct.

As for knowing Christ is not enlightened: Aside from the fact that I would seriously question any literature, especially Gnostic texts, as being the authentic teaching of Christ - My understanding is that scholarship generally places these at a later date and as being less reliable than earlier texts. Not to mention the fact that there existed many Gnostic sects so I cannot believe their texts don't contradict one another. I don't think anywhere Christ, either the Christian or Gnostic version ever taught Dhamma as I understand it. Anatta, Anicca, Dukkha, Kamma as intention and many other teachings just simply don't appear in Christian or Gnostic literature. If you could point to where they do I would be very happy. This would be the benchmark for testing a persons enlightenment.

Perhaps this will help you understand the Theravada position: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ay_21.html
As I learned from meditation, Near death experiences, out of the body experiences and spiritually transformative experiences, the reason for our existence on Gaia is to obtain spiritual growth. Humans and animals are not physical beings searching for a spiritual journey, they are spiritual beings on a physical journey. Love and compassion is the best way to grow spiritually. As the bible says ''God is love, whoever lives in love, lives in god and god lives in him. Jesus taught unconditional love. It is extremely important to know love and express love through our actions. If we lack love, our spiritual growth weakens and we come closer to hell. As everyone knows, if love did not exist, the world would simply cease to exist, true happiness could never be. I'm not a Christian, Christianity was created by the self-proclaimed apostle Paul. Christianity promotes a lot that Jesus and Buddha never said. The lost teachings of Jesus is the true teachings. The word gnosticism means knowledge. True Gnosticism says a lot of things that Buddhism says, such as ''Suffering is caused through ignorance and attachment to materialism.'' I believe every religion contains some truth but as human beings we cannot grasp the entire truth. We have to be seperated from the limitations of the physical. The heart and soul knows much more than what the brain does. We can't rely on a book or another human for spiritual truth. No one knows everything. I love this quote from a wise person ''doctrine and dogma is putting a lock on the door of truth.'' ''The door is referring to the heart.'' We cannot be for sure on spiritual truth unless we become spiritual truth. ''The way to love is manifest love.''
User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 6544
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Mkoll »

Cianna,

I think your heart's in the right place and in the end that's what matters.

:heart:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
User avatar
pererin
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:44 am

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by pererin »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Jesus wrote: Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying אלי אלי למה עזבתני "Eli Eli lama sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46
Jesus wrote: And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, אלי אלי למה עזבתני "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Mark 15:34
Not sure what your source for those quotes is, David, but just by way of information, whoever wrote it used the Hebrew text of the psalm while giving the transliterated hybrid Aramaic / Hebrew saying attributed to Jesus in Matthew and Mark. עֲזַבְתָּ֑נִי) עזבתני = '‘ă-zaḇ-tā-nî') is the Hebrew version; the Aramaic, on the other hand, would have been something like אלהי אלהי למא שבקתני. The שבקתני there is the σαβαχθανεί ("sabachthani") of those two canonical gospels.

Metta,

Pererin
Babadhari
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm
Location: lalita ghat

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by Babadhari »

Biblewheel? :tongue:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
User avatar
waterchan
Posts: 699
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm
Location: Kamaloka

Re: Buddha and Jesus, Is jesus a reincarnation of the Buddha

Post by waterchan »

kitztack wrote:Biblewheel? :tongue:
Lounge Wheel!
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
Locked