My happy place

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: My happy place

Post by kirk5a » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Taijitu wrote:Hi everyone.

Just making this place to spread good karma and have it come back to me.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything happy or sad or just say hi.
Hi Taijitu

This verse makes me happy.
Whatever you're alert to,
above, below,
across, in between:
knowing it as a bond in the world,
don't create craving
for it to be or not to be
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

[my translation for the last line, I'm not sure if it could be justified by the Pali, but it does make me happy :smile: ]
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm

kirk5a wrote:
Taijitu wrote:Hi everyone.

Just making this place to spread good karma and have it come back to me.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything happy or sad or just say hi.
Hi Taijitu

This verse makes me happy.
Whatever you're alert to,
above, below,
across, in between:
knowing it as a bond in the world,
don't create craving
for it to be or not to be
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

[my translation for the last line, I'm not sure if it could be justified by the Pali, but it does make me happy :smile: ]
Interesting last line. For me it suggests happiness through acceptance. Thank you for sharing this.

Someone I consider to be a friend shared something on chat with me the other night:

http://www.gardendigest.com/zen/quotes.htm

They add to my happiness as they put in words what I feel but had difficulty expressing.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:41 pm

chownah wrote:I just made a terrible post over in the why is the Buddha not humane thread.....totally counter productive....a lot of crossed construals there.......but I'm still in a Happy Place......and I still think that if the Buddha claimed to be not humane that we should believe him mostly.
chownah
:shock: :D

I'll have to check it out and make an equally counter productive post!

Only joking! Only joking!
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
kirk5a
Posts: 1959
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: My happy place

Post by kirk5a » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 pm

Taijitu wrote:
Interesting last line. For me it suggests happiness through acceptance. Thank you for sharing this.

Someone I consider to be a friend shared something on chat with me the other night:

http://www.gardendigest.com/zen/quotes.htm

They add to my happiness as they put in words what I feel but had difficulty expressing.
Ah, thanks to you in turn. Indeed, I laughed at this one, as I have had difficulty in expressing this very thing in other threads here.
It is too clear and so it is hard to see.
A dunce once searched for a fire with a
lighted lantern.
Had he known what fire was,
He could have cooked his rice much sooner.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:13 pm

kirk5a wrote:
Taijitu wrote:
Interesting last line. For me it suggests happiness through acceptance. Thank you for sharing this.

Someone I consider to be a friend shared something on chat with me the other night:

http://www.gardendigest.com/zen/quotes.htm

They add to my happiness as they put in words what I feel but had difficulty expressing.
Ah, thanks to you in turn. Indeed, I laughed at this one, as I have had difficulty in expressing this very thing in other threads here.
It is too clear and so it is hard to see.
A dunce once searched for a fire with a
lighted lantern.
Had he known what fire was,
He could have cooked his rice much sooner.
Maybe it was an electric lantern. ;)
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:51 am

Smoking was my last vice. I feel too virtuous without it.

:yingyang:
Last edited by Taijitu on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Just had a very enjoyable walk down to the local pond. Almost every adult had a child with them. The children ran up to say good morning while we adults wished each other a happy new year.

Happy New Year Everyone!

:yingyang:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:12 pm

A close friend just drew my picture. Only took her an hour. :smile:

:yingyang:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:21 pm

I've been considering how it is important to keep past suffering to mind in order to empathise with others and not feel pity.

A song came to me to remind me of this importance:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

sattva
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: My happy place

Post by sattva » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:47 am

I went to my niece's wedding on Saturday. It really was quite beautiful and moving. Got to spend some time with my son and also with family who came in from Oregon. One who is 35, I haven't seen since she was just starting to walk! It's been a good visit. I am going to try to upload 2 photos of me. I did crop people out of the photos because one of the people didn't want to be tagged because of her job. That is oxygen tubing on my face. My one sister visiting from Oregon says that it looks like a moustache!
Attachments
me2 (373x640) (2).jpg
me2 (373x640) (2).jpg (226.05 KiB) Viewed 530 times
me_a.jpg
me_a.jpg (167.38 KiB) Viewed 530 times

User avatar
cooran
Posts: 8504
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: My happy place

Post by cooran » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:07 am

Thanks Sattva! Lovely to "see" you at last. :group:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

User avatar
Taijitu
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My happy place

Post by Taijitu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:11 am

That is a good picture. You have a really nice smile. :smile:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/chat/
Unfettered at last, a traveling monk,
I pass the old Zen barrier.
Mine is a traceless stream-and-cloud life,
Of these mountains, which shall be my home?
Manan (1591-1654)

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests