Red Shirt arsonists set fires to Wat Onoi

The best place for the discussion of current events and politics. A place to bring a contemplative / Dharmic perspective and opinions to current events and politics.
dagon

Re: Red Shirt arsonists set fires to Wat Onoi

Postby dagon » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Mr Man wrote:
dagon wrote:
As a farang with a Thai family - the only model that i have seen that may address the needs (maybe not wants) of all the parties is the Nelson Mandela model of a truth and reconciliation process.

Nelson Mandela ""The Africans require the franchise on the basis of one man, one vote"

phpBB [video]

thanks for the link - i love to listening to, and learning from him. i think i have listen to this before but like good Dhamma talks any reason to listen to them again is good.

metta
paul

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 am

Chownah, here is a contrasted opinion about that paper. Perhaps both are full of distortions. I don’t know. The only direct experience that I witnessed myself on the conflict of 2010 was the fear when commuting everyday through Bangkok, like the panic and screams of the passangers inside the sky-train when the fire rockets exploded in front of the windows. Those rockets were thrown from the red-shirt camps, before the intervention of the army.

As someone has mentioned, we are made by stories and experiences; if I had spent those days with a family on a red-shirt village at the north, my experience could have been shaped on a different way. And for those who lived the events from abroad, your experiences may be shaped by the news that you read.

You be the judge

Diverse comments from readers at the bottom of this page:
Don’t Shoot the Shyster!

More comments from readers on that paper:
the-bangkok-massacres-a-call-for-accountability

If you want to know about other “global” client’s of Amsterdam & Peroff lobbying firm:
Naming Names: Your Real Government

About Robert Amsterdam and his corporation:
Globalist Page: Robert Amsterdam

The empire of the mega tycoon Thaksin Shinawatra is not only protected by Amsterdam & Peroff but by reporters inside the BBC or NYT, and big corporations that have been involved with his business.
http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/2010/05/thailands-thaksin-shinwatra-marxists.html

BBC-drops-propaganda-hammer-on-thailand.

Dodgy Regime? Unruly Protesters? Bell Potinger Can Help – “We tell stories – I don't mean lies. We work for people who want to tell their side of the story."

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.com/search/label/Thailand
Last edited by suriyopama on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:16 am

Mr Man wrote:From todays New York Times "The Last Gasp of Thai Paternalism" http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/20/opinion/the-last-gasp-of-thai-paternalism.html?_r=0

It is sad to see how almost all the main media, from Japan Times to CNN, from BBC to NYT, are exhorting to present Thailand troubles as a rich/poor, elite/rural, educated/uneducated class war. The poor rubber farmers from the south (minority) are also protesting against the government, because they do not receive the benefit of a pledge scheme for their harvest, like the rice farmers at the north (majority). That is why they have joined the protests in Bangkok. Everyday I see hundreds of the Rice Farmers from the south camping at Rajadamnern Nok Avenue. The government buys every harvest (and the loyalty) of the rice farmers at price about 40% higher than the market, a practice that has been denounced by the IMF and the FAO as unsustainable.

IMF-urges-thailand-to-stop-rice-scheme

FAO-warning-shows-folly-of-rice-pledging

An analysis about the error of presenting this issue as a class-conflict
It is a fallacy to analyse present troubles as based on class system

That is an evil distortion made by the global manipulators mentioned on my previous post with the aim to make the naive opinion think that "Thaksin, the kind supporter of the poor people, is the good guy; and the ones who oppose him are the bad guys”. That is simply ridiculous.

I have to add another detail, from my personal observation, that I believe is important:

Several of my thai relatives, friends and coworkers that are now protesting on the streets, shouting that they want Thaksin's influence out of the politics of their country, confess that they did vote for Thaksin Shinawatra in 2001. They elected him mainly for the following reasons:

1.- He was such a good businessman that they thought he would bring prosperity to the country.
2.- He was so rich - a Forbes multi-billionaire with more wealth than he would ever need for him, his family, and his friends for many lifetimes - that they trusted that he would never fall into corruption and cheat the country.

But they were wrong. It seems like it is human nature that the more that we have, the more that we want. Like a hungry ghost.

They joined the protests to overthrow him in 2006, and today they are not on the streets for the Democrat Party or for Suthep, the man that has the loudest voice at the biggest stage. They neither agree with everything that comes from his mouth or fully sympathize with him. They are protesting by their own free will to protect the future of their country; against corruption, abuse of power, and disrespect for the constitution.

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am

Last minute news!

The caretaker PM Yingluck Shinawatra is going to consult if it is legally possible to delay the elections.

I wish that this could lead to a peaceful solution that is satisfactory for all the involved parties. :meditate:

Caretaker PM Yingluck to consult govt's legal adviser over poll delay

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:34 am

Mr Man wrote: "Profile of the Protestors" http://asiafoundation.org/publications/pdf/1301

I love the statement on page 15 of that report:

"It may be noted Thailand has the highest level of political tolerance of any country surveyed by the Foundation in Southeast Asia"

I hope that it will always be true, and improving the position in the ranking with time :smile:

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:17 pm

dagon

Postby dagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks mate, YES

:meditate:

dagon

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:20 am

Thai opposition to boycott 2 February elections.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25475644

What a mess. I hope no one else gets hurt and this resolves peacefully.

Metta.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Today, 22 of December, there has been a massive rally in multiple locations of Bangkok, the largest that has ever been witnessed in Thailand. Fortunately, it has passed in peace and with no incidents.

Not only Thais are protesting against corruption and abuse of power. Even some foreigners that know enough about the business of the Thai Government or the Thai Police have joined the protests on the street. This poster is an indicator of the situation:

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:16 pm

In the meantime, in my lovely country s-pain. Another democratic state:

phpBB [video]

Madrid, 21 December 2013.

I am sorry for the off-topic. :( I’ve just seen that video that happened yesterday on a peaceful protest against the new anti-abortion law, and I am feeling sick.
The person that recorded that video was lucky that they didn´t catch him, because under the recently approved law, taking pictures or recording the police in Spain now can be punished with up to €30,000. Last month, two 2 girls 15 and 17 years old were sentenced to pay €800 just for saying “I would be ashamed to be police".
http://www.primaveravalenciana.info/201 ... a-policia/

It seems like there is going to be something like "The New State Order of Europe". :(
Last edited by suriyopama on Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Man

Postby Mr Man » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:25 pm

binocular wrote:
suriyopama wrote:Image

I'm curious about something: How do such protesters propose that a person in position of power could be able not to become what is usually called "corrupt"?

I am also curious how it can be determined that this particular gentleman knows "enough about the business of the Thai Government or the Thai Police"?

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:42 pm

They can't...and it can't...

suriyopama

Postby suriyopama » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:42 am

Of course. All things will be uncertain to us until we become perfectly enlightened arahants.

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:11 am

---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

robertk

Postby robertk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:01 am

Kurt Campbell: EX Assistant US secretary of state for east Asian and Pacific affairs,
http://blogs.ft.com/the-a-list/2013/12/ ... z2oHfppVPs
in the Financial Times
Respect for democracy in Thailand needs support”

On Sunday Thailand’s main opposition party stormed out of parliament, claiming the illegitimacy of the democratically elected government currently led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, the sister of Mr Thaksin. These minority legislators are intimately aligned with the protesters who have staged the massive rallies in Bangkok. The opposition has claimed “popular support” even though Ms Yingluck’s Puea Thai party came to power in a landslide 2011 vote that virtually all observers agree was free and fair.
This latest intrigue simply disguises a larger truth: for almost 20 years the Bangkok power elite – business tycoons, royalist followers and some senior military – have been unable to acknowledge that the wheel of history has turned.

The opposition Democrats have essentially lost every national election since 1992, and their strategy increasingly appears to rely on undemocratic practices. Rather than building a competitive political opposition that would promote popular political and economic reforms, the anti-Thaksin forces in the courts, military and whisperers around the royal court have driven three democratically elected governments out of office since 2006. These reactionary forces – despite the changing labels and political configurations – are essentially the “yellow shirts”, and it is their allies and foot soldiers who are storming the government ministries.

The international community should, nevertheless, underscore that both sides in the domestic struggle should commit to electoral and legal means for resolving disputes and not to rely upon unelected “people’s councils” – the preferred venue for governance by key leaders on the Democratic side.

drew

Postby drew » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:24 am

Where ever we look in the world we see Dukkha. Looking into your own Heart is far more beneficial though.

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs."
SN (35.28)
The gift of the Dhamma excels all gifts (DP354)

Return to “News, Current Events & Politics”