Job Stress, Oy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Jhana4

Job Stress, Oy

Post by Jhana4 »

I've had some job stress in the last few days. I'm in the US, do a job connected with the government, and I have been waiting to see if the government will be shut down in about a week. I heard today that the project I work on *might* come to an end in the forseeable future.

I'm very grateful I went on the retreat I took in July.

I have felt stressed and worried today........pressed. However it feels a LITTLE bit less than it might have been.

Just wanted to vent.

I'm going to go sit
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Anagarika

Re: Job Stress, Oy

Post by Anagarika »

Meditation will for sure a good path to be on, especially when job and/or family issues arise. We always fear the worst, but life has a way of working itself out. Your job situation will find its way one way or another, and you'll look back a year from now and wonder why you worried so much. So, stay with the breath, don't worry, and have faith that with right mindfulness, right effort, and just faith in yourself, things will work out fine. They may not work out the way that you scripted them, but as the old saying goes, kamma laughs at those who make plans. :)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Meditation alone is not enough I suppose.
The objective of meditation is to slow down and stop.
From that point you have to ask:
What is the goal of my life?
How can I achieve that?
What is the Path?
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ben

Post by Ben »

J4,

Thanks for letting us know.
I hope that the news you are waiting on will deliver some certainty relating to your work situation.
In the meantime, let the Dhamma be your anchor.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hope it works out. These budget crises seem to happen every year and usually blow over literally at the last minute (or second) and everything carries on as before.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Good luck.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ajisai

Post by Ajisai »

SarathW wrote:Meditation alone is not enough I suppose.
The objective of meditation is to slow down and stop.
If your physical condition allows you, you might want to do a bit of sport. I found out that running twice or three times a week helped me a great deal with managing my stress.
SarathW wrote:From that point you have to ask:
What is the goal of my life?
How can I achieve that?
The same question was asked to Venerable Sumanasara (a Sri Lankan Theravada monk residing in Tokyo). He answered something like: "There is no such thing as a goal in life. Just live."

I guess the idea is to live day by day according to the dhamma. The monk also said that if troubles will occur, they just will occur. Worrying now will not change anything (except making you suffer). You'll think about it when it happens. And if you keep a calm mind, when troubles will occur, you will be able to make the right choices.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

David N. Snyder wrote:Hope it works out. These budget crises seem to happen every year and usually blow over literally at the last minute (or second) and everything carries on as before.
One lot of politicians blackmailing the other lot!
:toilet:

Too bad about the real people they hurt.

:namaste:
Kim