Problems with "9 Essays: Buddhism & The 12 Steps"

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
JeffR

Re: Problems with "9 Essays: Buddhism & The 12 Steps"

Post by JeffR »

m0rl0ck wrote:
Another thought occured to me. There are character defects displayed by most addicts and any recovery strategy needs to address those as well as the actual substance addiction.
This is were I feel the eightfold path trumps AA and any other clinical or spiritual approach. I don't know of anyone who has been to AA, with or without success, who has been asked to address the underlying issues which led to the addiction.
m0rl0ck wrote:Most alcoholics before getting into recovery make multiple attempts to control or stop drinking and cant.
I don't think this can be researched; lots of people quit without "treatment", how do you count them?
M0rl0ck's definition of an alcoholic being someone who can't quit makes some sense but doesn't cover all addicts. Long ago I had a friend who was addicted to more than alcohol, the alcohol and drugs controlled him, not the other way around. His addiction ruined our friendship. He was able to quit without treatment and spent several years seeking various spiritual paths to get him through and did get a life eventually. Along with the process of seeking spiritual paths, to my knowledge he did deal with the underlying issues that led to his addiction; I had at least one heart to heart with him on that topic.
Therein what are 'six (types of) disrespect'? One dwells without respect, without deference for the Teacher; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Teaching; one dwells without respect, without deference for the Order; one dwells without respect, without deference for the precepts; one dwells without respect, without deference for heedfulness; one dwells without respect, without deference for hospitality. These are six (types of) disrespect.
:Vibh 945
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

link fixed
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi m0rl0ck
m0rl0ck wrote:...if you can control your consumption of a substance, you are, by definition, not addicted to it. Addiction is about denial and continued use despite consequences up to and including death....

Another thought occured to me. There are character defects displayed by most addicts and any recovery strategy needs to address those as well as the actual substance addiction.
Your'e right that control implies not being addicted, but that's more to my point--"once an alcholic always an alcholic" is not supported by the current evidence nor is it compatible with Buddhist practice. Please elaborate what you mean "defintion." Which definition of addction are you going by? Do you believe there's only one definition? Plese also specify how you know "most" addict need to address their "character defects" and explain exactly what you mean by "character defects."

Control can be acquired. I could be mistakken, but addicts are not powerless, don't have a disease, don't need (but might be helped) by the 12 Steps and the groups they accompany to acquire said control.
Kindly,
dL
Last edited by danieLion on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi mirco,
mirco wrote:@ m0rl0ck: here

:rofl:

"Three Minute Therapy".

Maybe it takes three minutes to get the wallet out of the pocket to cure the author's chronically being broke.
You're right that therapists aren't the richest people around, but I don't see how monetary status and financial achievment are relevant. Correct if I'm wrong, but this seems ad hominem. Could you be more spefific by what you mean by this? I might be wrong, but I doubt you know anything about the author's financials. In the case of AA, the financial incentives of that organization and its founders are well documented. Perhaps I'm in error, but I suspect AA would cease to exist if these monetary incentives were not involved.
Kindly,
dL
Last edited by danieLion on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Id like to refer any further questions to the dictionary for a definition of addiction and to the Big Book of AA for other questions. Good luck :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

danieLion wrote:Hi m0rl0ck
but that's more to my point--"once an alcholic always an alcholic" is not supported by the current evidence nor is it compatible with Buddhist practice.

Control can be acquired. I could be mistakken, but addicts are not powerless, don't have a disease
dL
If you are an alcoholic or addict that is extremely dangerous thinking. If you have had problems controlling your drinking in the past i urge you to go to a meeting or talk to your sponsor before you take a next drink.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

m0rl0ck wrote:
but that's more to my point--"once an alcholic always an alcholic" is not supported by the current evidence nor is it compatible with Buddhist practice.

Control can be acquired. I could be mistakken, but addicts are not powerless, don't have a disease
dL
If you are an alcoholic or addict that is extremely dangerous thinking. If you have had problems controlling your drinking in the past i urge you to go to a meeting or talk to your sponsor before you take a next drink.
This.
29 years sobriety Aug. 24.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Justsit wrote: This.
:clap:
22 for me Oct. 2nd :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

m0rl0ck wrote:
I am so grateful for Alcoholics Anonymous and the amazing people who make up the fellowship. They and the program have helped to saved my life.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

JeffR wrote:
I don't know of anyone who has been to AA, with or without success, who has been asked to address the underlying issues which led to the addiction.

That has not been my experience, the steps and the fellowship itself address the habits of thinking and character that go with addiction.
Also i was not aware that the eightfold path and the 12 steps were in some kind of competition so that one had to necessarily "trump" the other. AA and buddhism seem to co-exist fine with me, i guess im just not thinking hard enough :)
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

m0rl0ck wrote:
Congratulations! :thumbsup:
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi m0rl0ck,
m0rl0ck wrote:Id like to refer any further questions to the dictionary for a definition of addiction and to the Big Book of AA for other questions. Good luck :)
I agree that dictionaries can be helfpul in certain situations, but it depends on the circumstances and which dictionary is used. Doesn't saying "the" dictionary imply all dictionaries (and definitions) are equal? That seems irrational to me. I might be wrong, but dictionaries are not ultimate sources of authority. And I agree that there is some useful information in the Big Book, but it is afteral just a compendium of opinions--just one narrow and dogmatic take on addiction.
Kindly,
dL
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi m0rl0ck
m0rl0ck wrote:

dL
You're right that past behavior can be predictors of future problems. But how exactly is this dangerous "thinking." The research suggests that the real danger is in labelling oneself an "alcoholic" or "addict." Perhaps I'm in error, but I subscribe to the REBT notion that just because something once strongly affected our life does not mean it should indefinitely affect it. The Buddha's teachings on karma imply the correlative the disputation of this thinking error. We can learn from our past experiences but not be overly-attached to or prejudiced by them.

I agree that having others to talk to and having a "support group" can be beneficial, but why, specifically, do you think it absolutetly must be a "sponsor" in AA? Maybe I'm mistinterpreting you, but I agree with another REBT principle, which also reflect the Buddha's teachings on self-reliance, that we absolutely need something other or stronger or greater than ourself on which to rely. Maybe I misunderstand, but AA and "sponsors" seem like a mere "transference addiction" where one relies on another, a group, and its dogmas. As REBT and the Buddha,teaches, it is better to take the risks of thinking and acting less dependently.
Kindly,
dL
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Hi bodm, m0rl0ck and Justsit,

I agree that the experience of some people in AA is valuable and that time sober is somewhat important and can help some people at some times. But self-appointing one an expert based upon mere experience or time sober can be misleading, especially to the extent that it ignores other differing experiences and rigidifies people against research that contradicts AA principles like powerlessness, surrender, the Rock Bottom myth, the "higher power" principle, the addiction-is-a-disease myth, sponsorship/meetings and "working the steps" as a necessity/only way to do it,the once an alcoholic or addict one is always so myth, etc.... How precisely do you think mere experience and chip accumulation qualify one to speak with final authority on the topic of addiction? I might be wrong, but this seems extremely dogmatic, inflexible, and rigid--just the type of cult-like mentality and just the kind of thoughts, feelings, and behaviors inimical to recovery.
Kindly,
dL
Last edited by danieLion on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

AA and the people in it claim no authority.
It's a program to help people get sober.
If it works for you, great. It has worked for millions.
If it doesn't, that's OK, too. Hopefully something else will.

No cult, just people helping each other get sober.

If you have a problem with it, just walk away.