Dawn of the Megacities

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
poto

Dawn of the Megacities

Post by poto »

They've finally broken ground on what will be the next world's tallest building. I've been waiting for this for some time.

What's different about this skyscraper is the way it's built. They are using a modular factory-produced construction system to build Sky City. Which is cheaper, faster, structurally stronger, more energy efficient and generally a much better building system versus conventional construction. This project will put this new modular construction technology on the map. IMHO, eventually all of our cities will be rebuilt using similar technology.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/07/report ... -site.html

This will be an entire city of 30k people contained in a single building. It will be taller than the world's current tallest building in Dubai, but cost about half to build, and take only months to construct once the foundation is done.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
Aloka

Re: Dawn of the Megacities

Post by Aloka »

Woa, I'm not so keen on heights, so just the idea of that makes me feel dizzy !

:)
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Welcome back Poto!

Interesting the first real arcology? Something which has been a regular trope of science fiction finally coming to the real world.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
poto

Post by poto »

BlackBird wrote:Welcome back Poto!

Interesting the first real arcology? Something which has been a regular trope of science fiction finally coming to the real world.
Thanks, but I never really left, was just quiet for a while.

And yeah, it's pretty cool to see this type of thing coming to life. The company that is building this has plans for much larger buildings too. This one is just the first and it was a pain for them to get it approved by the local government. It would have been built already by now if not for the red tape. We could see buildings a mile or 2 high in the near future. Also, some very wide and tall buildings are possible. The modular construction technology really opens up a lot of possibilities.

Past tallest buildings like the one in Dubai were more of status symbols which didn't interest me in the slightest. This is a very different animal. China is still rapidly urbanizing and needs to build more city space. I think it's great that they are finally giving modular technology like this a crack on a large scale.

Here's a time lapse video of a 30 story building being built in 15 days. This is by the same company and using the same technology that is being used to build Sky City.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

That video was incredible! This technology is fantastic.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks