Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Post by DNS »

Will wrote: Around 200 or 300 (I forget) years from now Islam will be the totalitarian ruler of nearly all. Then they will set their sights on Central Asia and a mighty countervailing Dharma army will fight back and destroy the grip of Islam.
That doesn't sound very Dharmic. The Dhamma will disappear one day, just as it did in the past. A new samma-sam-buddha will arise when the conditions are right. There is no need for violence. We can do what we can to try and preserve the Dhamma for as long as possible, but should do so with non-violent means.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Just with a light heart.

--------------------------------------

In fact, Arthur C. Clark a futuristic visionary, in one of his books, mentioned that Buddhism will be the only religion that will survive by the year 2050 and that scientist cannot hammer it down or destroy it

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16297
----------------------------
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SarathW wrote: In fact, Arthur C. Clark a futuristic visionary, in one of his books, mentioned that Buddhism will be the only religion that will survive by the year 2050 and that scientist cannot hammer it down or destroy it
I just read that other thread you started earlier this year. Yes, that is a good example of what we can "do"; education. Has anyone else noticed how there hasn't been many Jim Jones' type cults lately? I think it may be due to better education, which doesn't have to be formal education; it can be from the information age with the internet.
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

SarathW wrote:In fact, Arthur C. Clark a futuristic visionary, in one of his books, mentioned that Buddhism will be the only religion that will survive by the year 2050 and that scientist cannot hammer it down or destroy it
I think it's highly unlikely that all other religions will fizzle out or be destroyed in the next 37 years.

But at any rate, secular ideologies (e.g. nationalism, fascism, communism, neoliberalism) have lead to far more violence and death in the last 100 years than religious ideologies have.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

David N. Snyder wrote:
SarathW wrote: In fact, Arthur C. Clark a futuristic visionary, in one of his books, mentioned that Buddhism will be the only religion that will survive by the year 2050 and that scientist cannot hammer it down or destroy it
I just read that other thread you started earlier this year. Yes, that is a good example of what we can "do"; education. Has anyone else noticed how there hasn't been many Jim Jones' type cults lately? I think it may be due to better education, which doesn't have to be formal education; it can be from the information age with the internet.
The NSA's been trying to tell us that its their 100% surveillance policy that's made this possible!!!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
cooran

Post by cooran »

Sounds like BodhGaya has been considered as a target for a while:

Held terrorists had revealed plans to bomb BodhGaya
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 88506.aspx

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Will wrote: Most Buddhists are not like the few Arhans who follow the Saw Sutta. They will defend themselves and even take preemptive actions against the Muslims.
If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

IMO.
With karuna.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Man detained over BodhGaya bomb blasts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23222495

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

This is really sad, and odd that it was little reported in the west. I really hope there is no retaliation and that things don't escalate because of this.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Coyote wrote:This is really sad, and odd that it was little reported in the west. I really hope there is no retaliation and that things don't escalate because of this.
Human nature being what it is, we can only hope.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Martin Po wrote:
Will wrote: Most Buddhists are not like the few Arhans who follow the Saw Sutta. They will defend themselves and even take preemptive actions against the Muslims.
If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

IMO.
With karuna.
Noble notion Martin - does it apply to Islamic terrorists who blow up innocents? Are they not Muslims? They certainly think they are good Muslims - they quote chapter and verse from the Koran & the Hadith in support of their Jihad.

Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Raksha

Post by Raksha »

Martin Po wrote:If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
It is not for you to say who is or is not a Buddhist. Shaolin monks not Buddhist? Mongolia not Buddhist? Gurkhas not Buddhist? I'm sick of Westerners in their 'cosy Californian studios' passing judgement on matters about which they know absolutely nothing.
The same goes for Blackbird's comments about Wirathu, describing him as 'fascist' and a 'nazi'. Have you been to Rakhine state Blackbird, or met Wirathu, have you even read anything written by him? I have yet to read a single Western media report that correctly portrays Rohingya as armed separatists funded by Saudi Arabia. Wirathu did not describe himself as 'Bin Laden' nor have monks led mobs against Muslims, it is simply Arakanese attacking Bangladeshi land-grabbers.
Sekha

Post by Sekha »

Will wrote: Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?
As far as the teaching of the Buddha is concerned, absolutely. There is no question about it.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Martin Po

Post by Martin Po »

Will wrote:
Noble notion Martin - does it apply to Islamic terrorists who blow up innocents? Are they not Muslims? They certainly think they are good Muslims - they quote chapter and verse from the Koran & the Hadith in support of their Jihad.

Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?
If some buddhists are afraid to die, to disapear, to ceasse existance - they have to change their Teacher and Teaching and preache attachemen to self, attachement to soul, attachement to exstance, attachement to views, attachement to form, attachement to feeling, attachement to perception, attachemet to mental formations, attachement to consciousness.

Islamic terrorist (and other military organisations) suffer, and their suffering of existance, based on self-belief, push them to make such evil actions.
If you, and others, are not able to compassion, not able to detachement, not able to wisdom, but able to hate, able to self-preaching, able of killing, so they are traitors of Buddha, shame of Buddha, not worthy of gift, not worthy of hospitality, not worthy of offerings, worthy of respect.

It's a shame.
Last edited by Martin Po on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.