Possibly the most important poll you'll ever answer....

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.

Who is your favourite Traveling Wilbury?

Jeff Lynne
6%
Tom Petty
24%
Roy Orbison
9%
Bob Dylan
35%
George Harrison
26%
Jim Keltner
No votes

Total votes: 34

danieLion

Re: Possibly the most important poll you'll ever answer....

Post by danieLion »

Goog call JustSit
Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."[25] In the booklet accompanying his Biograph album, Dylan said: "I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way... Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it's a tribute to him in some kind of way."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Along_ ... Experience
I don't listen to music that much anymore, but whenever I hear Jimi--even the overplayed stuff now--it still blows me away.
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mikenz66

Both of those were way cool. Thanks.

Re" a cover of a cover? indeed...that Dylan quote I posted from Wiki has Bob saying in essence when i play it now i cover Jimi's version so i guess that makes the string quartent version a cover of a cover a cover?
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

JustSit,
That Zevon cover is quite moving, thanks.

I think he woul've fit in as Wilbury.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Daniel,
danieLion wrote: Both of those were way cool. Thanks.

Re" a cover of a cover? indeed...that Dylan quote I posted from Wiki has Bob saying in essence when i play it now i cover Jimi's version so i guess that makes the string quartent version a cover of a cover a cover?
Yes, sure. Bob's voice may now be rather shot, and his singing (and guitar and harmonica playing) is at times a little eccentric, but I don't doubt his commitment.

Last time I saw him here (ten years ago) he was finishing with Watchtower every night with an introduction that was the theme to the movie Exodus (I saw two shows in two cities---about half the songs were different). On the last night he played most of the song with guitar, but then decided to switch to keyboard, so handed the guitar off to a roadie (we were in the 4th row so it was easy to see what was happening). The keyboards were working, but the guy on the desk had turned down the mic at the keyboard, and didn't wake up until halfway through the last verse. I presume it would have been obvious to Bob that nothing was coming out (unless the monitor mix was completely separate), but he didn't pause, look around, or gesticulate at the sound crew. He just kept singing into the mic until the sound came back...

The previous show was in another city, and on the way back to the airport the next day, Peter, Paul, and Mary's version of "Don't think twice" happened to came on. As I said above, the emotions communicated were a pale imitation of what I'd heard the night before. Even with a voice that doesn't really work so good anymore, Bob got across the multidimensional emotion of both the jilted lover, and the selfish b*astard very clearly:
I’m walkin’ down that long, lonesome road, babe
Where I’m bound, I can’t tell
But goodbye’s too good a word, gal
So I’ll just say fare thee well
I ain’t sayin’ you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don’t mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don’t think twice, it’s all right
:anjali:
Mike