The Lottery of Life: Where to be born in 2013

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

The Lottery of Life: Where to be born in 2013

Post by plwk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 am

A quarter of a century ago, when The World in 1988 light-heartedly ranked 50 countries according to where would be the best place to be born in 1988, America indeed came top. But which country will be the best for a baby born in 2013? More here

cooran

Re: The Lottery of Life: Where to be born in 2013

Post by cooran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:54 am

Australia has moved from18th up to 2nd in 25 years! :clap:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Kim OHara

Re: The Lottery of Life: Where to be born in 2013

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:19 am

cooran wrote:Australia has moved from18th up to 2nd in 25 years! :clap:
Bonzer, eh, Cooran! I wouldn't get too excited, but. [Note to foreigners: this isn't how we really talk :tongue: ]
Two different surveys, two different sets of rules :shrug: - not that I would choose to live anywhere else, of course.
Actually, I looked at the list and thought of "Affluenza" and its sequel "The Selfish Capitalist" by Oliver James. People who haven't come across the idea may like to start with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affluenza but "The Selfish Capitalist" basically argues that unrestrained capitalism makes most people miserable and a mixed political system, like ours and most of Europe's, is needed to tame its excesses. The countries placed 3, 4 and 5 on this list are the ones James quotes as role models.

:namaste:
Kim