Australia

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mr Man

Re: Australia

Post by Mr Man »

pilgrim wrote:I'm sorry your first teacher did not work out, but wherever you go next, I think it is more important that you continue your nissaya with a teacher until released from this dependence. I've seen a number of young monks go off too early on their own during their formative years. Very few lasted long in robes. I believe the ability to live through initial disappointments and disillusions helps one to remain in robes for the long term.
I agree. :anjali:
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Mr Man wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I'm sorry your first teacher did not work out, but wherever you go next, I think it is more important that you continue your nissaya with a teacher until released from this dependence. I've seen a number of young monks go off too early on their own during their formative years. Very few lasted long in robes. I believe the ability to live through initial disappointments and disillusions helps one to remain in robes for the long term.
I agree. :anjali:
This seems like very reasonable posting by pilgrim. Continuing my nissaya is indeed one of my concerns.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Thanavuddho wrote:
BuddhaSoup wrote:I hope you stay in robes for many vassa, and find a longterm home in Australia.
Thank you. BuddhaSoup.

I'm not sure if I will settle in Australia. I'm ready to go anywhere if there's a good opportunity for me. I do like Australia so far.

Happy New Year everyone. New Year, new beginning and beginners mind

:anjali:
May the Tripe Gem continue to guide you.
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Raitanator

Post by Raitanator »

It seems like UK has a good connection with Theravada. Just by look of it how they support that tradition. I think it's important for you to find a place where there's support for you to continue, well, whatever you're doing. I know a handful of monastics, who live in West and they have had to get a job. One of them is Lama. Monks and nuns here don't have same kind culture of support what is so amazingly still alive in Asia.

You're not coming back to Finland? Here's already one Theravada monk living permanently. I think he's staying about 5km where I live.
Thanavuddho

Post by Thanavuddho »

Raitanator wrote:It seems like UK has a good connection with Theravada. Just by look of it how they support that tradition.
UK is one option.
I think it's important for you to find a place where there's support for you to continue, well, whatever you're doing. I know a handful of monastics, who live in West and they have had to get a job. One of them is Lama. Monks and nuns here don't have same kind culture of support what is so amazingly still alive in Asia.
This is indeed true. And it's going to be even more difficult for a monk intending to keep his Vinaya as pure as possible.
You're not coming back to Finland? Here's already one Theravada monk living permanently. I think he's staying about 5km where I live.
I did want to stay away longer, but because of the current situation, coming back there is one option.

People have suggested many options for me. For example, I've been invited to a cave in Isreal. Sri Lanka has been mentioned. Many people have also offered assistance.

So I have a change of survival.
“Tasmātihānanda, attadīpā viharatha attasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā, dhammadīpā dhammasaraṇā anaññasaraṇā.”(DN16)
Forum: http://www.avoinsangha.fi
Ben

Post by Ben »

As per request by the op,this thread is now locked.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..