Himalayan Avalanche Killed At Least 8 People

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Himalayan Avalanche Killed At Least 8 People

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

This is a very sad news (September 26,2012)!

Himalayan avalanche that killed at least eight people
[By BINAJ GURUBACHARYA (Associated Press)]

Himalayan Mountains
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... gac&sado=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Renowned American extreme skier Glen Plake:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t&y=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KATMANDU, Nepal — Renowned American extreme skier Glen Plake, one of the survivors of the weekend Himalayan avalanche that killed at least eight people, said Wednesday he feels lucky to be alive but heartbroken that he could not save two friends who remain missing.

Plake is a champion hot-dog skier who has appeared in many extreme-skiing documentaries, including 1988’s "The Blizzard of AAHHH’s," and also is well known for the tall mohawk he wears on the slopes. He had planned to ski down Mount Manalsu, the world’s eighth-highest mountain, after reaching the summit.

"I was awake in my tent reading my Bible. ... The tent began to shake. We thought it was the wind but in fact it was an avalanche," Plake told reporters at the Katmandu airport after returning from the mountain in a helicopter. "It was like an earthquake; it was like a tsunami."

Though he said he is "probably the luckiest person in the world," he was unable to find his friends and climbing companions, Remy George Lecluse and Gregory Ugo Costa, both of France.

"You are doing everything you can do because your friends’ lives depend on your next action," he said. "Unfortunately everything I did proved to produce nothing. At that point, I had to think about my own life and start preparing."

Lecluse and Costa are among three people still missing from the avalanche, which swept the tents at camp 2 at an elevation of 22,960 feet before dawn Sunday.

Nepalese mountaineering officials say eight bodies have been recovered: Fabrice Priez, Philippe Lucien Bos, Catherine Marie Andree Richard and Ludovic Paul Nicolas Challeat of France; German Christian Mittermeyer; Italian Alberto Magliano; Spaniard Marti Roirg Gasull; and Nepali Dawa Dorji.

Many of the survivors have returned to Katmandu, the Nepalese capital, and have abandoned their plans to climb the mountain this season.

Sunday’s avalanche came at the start of Nepal’s autumn climbing season, when the end of the monsoon rains makes weather in the high Himalayas unpredictable. Spring is a more popular mountaineering season, when hundreds of climbers crowd the peaks.

Mount Manaslu, which is 26,760 feet high, has attracted more climbers recently because it is considered one of the easier peaks to climb among the world’s tallest mountains. Avalanches are not very frequent there, but in 1972 one struck a team of climbers and killed six Koreans and 10 Nepali guides
Himalayan People/Cats

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t&y=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... t-701-21-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares
Annapurna

Re: Himalayan Avalanche Killed At Least 8 People

Post by Annapurna »

Dear Yawares,

I am a huge fan of mountains- hence my nick Annapurna, a mountain range in the Himalaya, - of
Reinhold Messner and of course the "Huberbuam", Alexander and Thomas Huber:

I'd be much too scared to risk what they do...and always hope nothing bad happens.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Annapurna wrote:Dear Yawares,

I am a huge fan of mountains- hence my nick Annapurna, a mountain range in the Himalaya, - of
Reinhold Messner and of course the "Huberbuam", Alexander and Thomas Huber:

I'd be much too scared to risk what they do...and always hope nothing bad happens.
-----------
Dear Annapurna,
Me too, I love mountains....especially Himalaya Mountains that I read from many JATAKA stories... hard to believe that something so beautiful can be so deadly too!

I like your pretty name ..so exotic!
yawares :jumping:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Must be Tibetan or Nepalese.... :smile:

What does Yawares mean?
yawares

Post by yawares »

Annapurna wrote:Must be Tibetan or Nepalese.... :smile:

What does Yawares mean?
Dear Annapurna,

My mom's name YAWADI..so she named me to sound like her..no meaning :tongue:
I used to fly(Thai Inter flight) to Katmandu 3 times but for transit at the airport 40 minutes...but I saw beautiful mountains there. :thumbsup:
yawares