Here we go again...

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
plwk

Here we go again...

Post by plwk »

Protesters burn Bangladesh Buddhist temples... Picture of allegedly desecrated Quran on Facebook blamed for burning of Buddhist homes and places of worship.
More here & 1 2 3 4

Dan74

Re: Here we go again...

Post by Dan74 »

On a plus side, it brings Buddhism into the spotlight in Bangladesh and not in a negative spotlight. I suspect a few young people may be moved to find out what this "strange" religion is all about. Hopefully this ugly action will also prompt majority of Bangladeshis to stand up for their traditional take on Islam which is tolerant and open-minded.
_/|\_
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I cannot even imagine the kind of anger that must be present in one's mind to respond in such a way...
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
yawares

Post by yawares »

Hickersonia wrote:I cannot even imagine the kind of anger that must be present in one's mind to respond in such a way...

Dear 'Hickersonia',

Me too...I agree with you 1000% :jumping: This ultimate anger is beyond imagination!!! I pity them, they didn't know what they were doing!!!
Buddha's Verse 69 : As long as the evil deed does not bear fruit, the fool thinks it is sweet like honey; but when his evil deed does bear fruit, the fool suffers for it. :anjali:
yawares
Maitri

Post by Maitri »

So awful. I will keep these brothers and sisters in my prayers. If anyone finds a way to donate to rebuilding of these homes and lives, please post it! Buddhists in Bangladesh have been targeted like this for years- I hope we in the West find a way to support them given our blessing of being free from such violence.

:candle: Homage to Him, the Blessed One, the Holy One, the Enlightened One.
Homage to Him, the Blessed One, the Holy One, the Enlightened One.
Homage to Him, the Blessed One, the Holy One, the Enlightened One.
May those who are suffering be well, free from pain, and find only ease.
"Upon a heap of rubbish in the road-side ditch blooms a lotus, fragrant and pleasing.
Even so, on the rubbish heap of blinded mortals the disciple of the Supremely Enlightened One shines resplendent in wisdom." Dhammapada: Pupphavagga

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

A man may plunder
as long as it serves his ends,
but when others are plundered,
he who has plundered
gets plundered in turn.

A fool thinks,
'Now's my chance,'
as long as his evil
has yet to ripen.
But when it ripens,
the fool
falls
into pain.

Killing, you gain
your killer.
Conquering, you gain one
who will conquer you;
insulting, insult;
harassing, harassment.

And so, through the cycle of action,
he who has plundered
gets plundered in turn.

SN 3.15
This karma fruits could even lead to not further (re)actions when right view arises.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Thats tragic. Lets hope the culprits are punished as examples.
Theism is a contagious mental disorder that imo needs to be stamped out.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

Here we go again...
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_