What makes one a Buddhist?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
FallAway

Re: What makes one a Buddhist?

Post by FallAway » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Forgetting that one is a lamp unto oneself makes one a Buddhist.

:namaste:
Be a lamp unto yourself.

binocular

Re: What makes one a Buddhist?

Post by binocular » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:10 am

chownah wrote:I am hoping that just that sort of person will reply....or perhaps someone can think of some pali sutta which might hint at an answer......I don't think they do it because they have already ended suffering....I don't think they do it because their spouse has forgotten their birthday....I don't think they do it because they just won the lottery.....but of course I could be wrong.

Of course there is another approach. Maybe taking refuge in b.d.s. is the oath which imparts membership in the buddhist club....after you take the oath you are officially a member....I'm thinking it is something deeper than that so I am looking for something deeper than that......I guess....don't know for sure....
A scenario in the suttas that frequently occurs is that of a person who seeks advice from the Buddha, and, after a discussion with the Buddha, says:

"Magnificent, Master Gotama! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way has Master Gotama — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to the Blessed One for refuge, to the Dhamma, & to the community of monks."

Apparently these people felt they have received a (more than) satisfactory answer to their question and that thus their confusion and hesitation was ended; they then saw a new course of action of themselves, one guided by the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha.

Of course, these were people who were talking directly to the Buddha. We nowadays are in a different situation, as we first need to somehow figure what exactly the Buddha's teachings might be to begin with.

Before I take refuge, I, too, want to feel and think that way -- "Magnificent, Master Gotama! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way has Master Gotama — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to the Blessed One for refuge, to the Dhamma, & to the community of monks."