Ray Bradbury August 22, 1920 – June 5, 2012

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Thaibebop

Ray Bradbury August 22, 1920 – June 5, 2012

Post by Thaibebop »

This was saddening to me. I have always felt that science fiction was important as it made readers think, sometimes outside their comfort zones. I don't know if the science fiction of today, so driven by hollywood action and adventure has the same philosophical bent that masters of the genre like Bradbury had. I hope I am wrong.
tiltbillings

Re: Ray Bradbury August 22, 1920 – June 5, 2012

Post by tiltbillings »

Thaibebop wrote:This was saddening to me. I have always felt that science fiction was important as it made readers think, sometimes outside their comfort zones. I don't know if the science fiction of today, so driven by hollywood action and adventure has the same philosophical bent that masters of the genre like Bradbury had. I hope I am wrong.
Ray considered himself a fantasy writer. His was a brilliant command of the language and a gift of provocative story telling. May he fair well.

"If you don't like what you're doing, then don't do it." - RB
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723