A trip down memory lane - E-Sangha database remnants

If you wish to partake in casual "off-topic" discussion amongst spiritual friends, please do so in the Lounge at Dhamma Wheel Engaged.
Dan74

A trip down memory lane - E-Sangha database remnants

Post by Dan74 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 am

I've just come across this, folks:

http://web.archive.org/web/200804112300 ... howforum=5

Most of the links don't work, but a few still do.

Perhaps most people already know about it (I am usually the last to find out) and for the rest, these memories would rather be laid to rest? There are still some good resources buried in E-Sanghas ruins though and some can be accessed it seems.

In any case FWIW...
_/|\_

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: A trip down memory lane - E-Sangha database remnants

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 23, 2012 10:47 am

Greetings Dan,

Thanks for pointing out the link. I remember having a bit of a poke around there once.

If on one your archaeological digs you find any particularly useful resources, do feel free to copy them back here.

I suspect in particular there's comments and translations by venerable Dhammanando in the Classical section pertaining to Pali Commentaries which may be of interest to some members.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed May 23, 2012 11:16 am

Talk about a blast from the past!
I remember spending hours and hours formatting entries for the e-Sangha library.
Then I went back some months after being sacked as moderator there and the whole lot was gone.
I was just writing to some friends about the dark days there that precipitated the birth of Dhamma Wheel.
Thank you Dan!

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Wed May 23, 2012 8:18 pm

I have mixed feelings about seeing this. Both joy and nostalgia, and ill will towards the horrible moderation there. But thank you very much!

EDIT: obviously there were good moderators.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Greetings MP,
Modus.Ponens wrote:I have mixed feelings about seeing this. Both joy and nostalgia, and ill will towards the horrible moderation there. But thank you very much!

EDIT: obviously there were good moderators.
I think it was a structural issue. It had to do more with the ethos of the forum and the administration's insistence on conforming to "normative Dharma" than it did on any of the moderators in the system.

They meant well, but that way of operating fails in the end, because it fails to respect the intelligence of the members (and the members sense it), and it sets up a perceived divide amongst the "defenders" and the "heretics".

It's was all a pretty sad state of affairs, but that's history... and history being what it is, if you don't learn your lessons from it, it's bound to repeat.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

cooran

Post by cooran » Wed May 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Yes, I agree with Retro - It is interesting that the Theravada forum was treated as if it was the smallest and least important on E-Sangha, but since the formation of DhammaWheel and DharmaWheel the numbers show just how popular and useful it was and is:

Today’s figures-
DhammaWheel
Total posts 186259 • Total topics 11145 • Total members 5090

DharmaWheel
Total posts 100098 • Total topics 7840 • Total members 2201

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 pm

All those ads! I almost forgot about all the ads. Was that for using the software? Or did the site owner collect revenue for all those ads?

And then there were gold donors, silver donors, bronze donors, etc. As the site owner here I can tell you the cost to run the place is not that much. Where did the donor funds go?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Greetings David,

The vBulletin software was purchased.

The ads and the memberships were said to pay for the software and hosting.

Metta,

Cafael Dust

Post by Cafael Dust » Wed May 23, 2012 9:34 pm

cooran
Yes, I agree with Retro - It is interesting that the Theravada forum was treated as if it was the smallest and least important on E-Sangha, but since the formation of DhammaWheel and DharmaWheel the numbers show just how popular and useful it was and is:
When searching for topics relevant to practise, this forum has always come up first for me in search results. The Buddha was very practical.
Not twice, not three times, not once,
the wheel is turning.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri May 25, 2012 8:33 am

It is a little sad that we lost some of those really interesting thread, such as Ven Huifeng's life story ("How the madness began" or some such), which he didn't think to keep a copy of.

Dmytro managed to recover a lot of his posts using that archive software, e.g.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 790#p39717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Mike

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Fri May 25, 2012 11:52 am

I remember starting and keeping a folder on my computer with my censured posts. The folder had about 20 posts. Curiously, I discovered that if I put the words "in my opinion" in the post, it had a much lower probability of geting censured. :jumping:

Then websangha came and the early buddhism croud fled there. Those were great times! :smile:
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

RMSmith

Post by RMSmith » Fri May 25, 2012 2:59 pm

The past is past. The present is a present. I'm finding this forum far less contentious and more informative than I ever did E-Sangha. (of course, I was just dipping my toes in the dharma then).

Assaji

Post by Assaji » Fri May 25, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi Mike,
mikenz66 wrote:Dmytro managed to recover a lot of his posts using that archive software, e.g.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 790#p39717" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By some miracle one of my Pali friends with slow Internet connection used a cache software, while reading the Pali Terms threads at E-Sangha, so I was later able to recover almost all of them from his cache:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6114" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Also, I recovered some threads from their counterparts on my Russian forum.)

However, this friend of mine was not interested in other sections of E-Sangha. Who knows, maybe they are preserved in the obscure caches of some mighty servers.

:anjali:
Dmytro

Nyana

Post by Nyana » Fri May 25, 2012 6:22 pm

retrofuturist wrote:I think it was a structural issue. It had to do more with the ethos of the forum and the administration's insistence on conforming to "normative Dharma" than it did on any of the moderators in the system.

They meant well, but that way of operating fails in the end, because it fails to respect the intelligence of the members (and the member's sense it), and it sets up a perceived divide amongst the "defenders" and the "heretics".

It's was all a pretty sad state of affairs, but that's history... and history being what it is, if you don't learn your lessons from it, it's bound to repeat.
FYI for anyone who doesn't follow the happenings on Dharma Wheel, Malcolm (Namdrol) has recently made an apology for some of the mistakes that occurred on e-Sangha (full post here):
  • We should be circumspect about criticizing others since that creates enemies in a concrete sense. I guess a large part of my present point of view has a lot to do with the sectarian arguments I have taken part in here on this board and E-sangha. Really, I feel very sad about that. We were all trying to do our best on E-Sangha -- but I myself, and we together, admins and mods, made many mistakes....

I feel sad for having allowed Theravada people think that I feel their practice is inferior.

I am sorry about the whole Zen thing, the Jundo Cohen episode. I tried to handle that skillfully, but it was Indo-Tibetan sectarian bullshit on my part, even though my motive was to try and bring clarity about who was a monk and who was not....

There are probably many other things I should feel sad about in my online relations with others. But I can't remember everything I said. So, my blanket apology is-- If I said something upsetting to you that came from narrow-mindedness on my part, I am sorry". So I have made a lot of mistakes. I am sorry that I hurt anyone.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri May 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Ñāṇa wrote:
  • We should be circumspect about criticizing others since that creates enemies in a concrete sense. I guess a large part of my present point of view has a lot to do with the sectarian arguments I have taken part in here on this board and E-sangha. Really, I feel very sad about that. We were all trying to do our best on E-Sangha -- but I myself, and we together, admins and mods, made many mistakes....

I feel sad for having allowed Theravada people think that I feel their practice is inferior.

I am sorry about the whole Zen thing, the Jundo Cohen episode. I tried to handle that skillfully, but it was Indo-Tibetan sectarian bullshit on my part, even though my motive was to try and bring clarity about who was a monk and who was not....

There are probably many other things I should feel sad about in my online relations with others. But I can't remember everything I said. So, my blanket apology is-- If I said something upsetting to you that came from narrow-mindedness on my part, I am sorry". So I have made a lot of mistakes. I am sorry that I hurt anyone.
Holy Jumping Jesus!!! It is not just this bit, but the whole msg shows a radical shift for him. What is interesting, however, is that it as one practices one's perspective can change very radically. This is an interesting and somewhat extreme example of that. Thanks for bringing this to light here, and good on Malcolm. (Has anyone posted this at ZFI?)
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723