Hotel Rwanda

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ngawang Drolma.

Hotel Rwanda

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

Did anyone ever see the movie "Hotel Rwanda?" It is so moving.

As long as we're on the subject of ethnic cleansing in another thread, I thought I'd ask about this.
Fede

Re: Hotel Rwanda

Post by Fede »

Forgive me for asking but - really, I don't understand the point.
We are all very much of the opinion that intentional, willful and volitional killing - in whatever form - is wrong.
We are all very much of the opinion that those who perpetrate such things are criminal, should be punished under the letter of the Law wherever possible, but are suffering and in pain in the cycle of samsara.
it is likely that unless - like Angulimala - they truly sincerely and earnestly repent of their deeds, they will be reborn in the lower realms of the wheel of Life.

I'm not really sure, beyond that, what the point of discussing such matters actually achieves.....

if this were not a buddhist forum, the discussion would in all likelihood be far more diverse.
But I don't see how this can provide anything...
what are you trying to stimulate here?

:coffee:

:smile:

:namaste:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

It is good to be informed. But we need to guard against being entertained by such suffering. We crave being "moved".
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ngawang Drolma.

Hi all,

In the Holocaust Remembrance Day thread I started, some folks had voiced a sentiment that there are lots of other instances terrible social situations that have received lesser attention. So I invited people to educate me, sticking to the lounge section of this board.

It's far from entertaining to me. It's a lot of other things, but not entertaining. I think my intentions may ave been misunderstood more than one time on this subject and that's okay. Sometimes on the Internet it's like that!

As it relates to spirituality, setting aside time to acknowledge peoples who have suffered is meaningful for me, in this moment in time anyhow.
If it was too personal I apologize.

Best wishes
Ngawang Drolma
pink_trike

Post by pink_trike »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Hi all,

In the Holocaust Remembrance Day thread I started, some folks had voiced a sentiment that there are lots of other instances terrible social situations that have received lesser attention. So I invited people to educate me, sticking to the lounge section of this board.

It's far from entertaining to me. It's a lot of other things, but not entertaining. I think my intentions may ave been misunderstood more than one time on this subject and that's okay. Sometimes on the Internet it's like that!

As it relates to spirituality, setting aside time to acknowledge peoples who have suffered is meaningful for me, in this moment in time anyhow.
If it was too personal I apologize.

Best wishes
Ngawang Drolma
Hi Ngawang Drolma,

I wasn't commenting specifically on your "moved" comment. :anjali:

I've just noticed that there's a growing blur between the actuality of the world's suffering events and "entertainment" in media - a blurring that I think is dangerous and needs to be guarded against. "Mother hacks off baby's arms - watch the video!" "Famine in Africa - see pics". People watch, and are being moved in the same way they are moved by an entertainment movie at the theater while eating popcorn. Sometimes being moved is a way to avoid the reality.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Ngawang Drolma.

Dear Pink Trike,

The levels of desensitization created in the media is scary. I think it's evidenced by the violence you see our children of this generation acting out.
I know what you mean.

Best,
Drolma