When is Vesak?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Lombardi4

When is Vesak?

Post by Lombardi4 »

Access to Insight says June 4, but Ajahn Brahm in his last talk said May 6. So when is it?
mikenz66

Re: When is Vesak?

Post by mikenz66 »

Says June 4 here too:
http://forestsangha.org/moondays/index. ... =6&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forestsangha.org/assets/calendar ... r-2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, there may be other calculations...

:anjali:
Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

When there are two full moons in May then quite often different nationalities observe one or the other, I've noticed usually the Sri Lankans observe a different one than the Thais etc.

Looking at those dates obviously there aren't two full moons in May this year, so maybe one nationality chose early June.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I don't know but I would go with the Access to insight calendar.

Good - Ajahn Brahm and the forest sangha are both from Thai origin, and this year Vassa is later than normal, but I can not remember why, possibly something to do with leap years or something?which does seam familiar when it was pointed out to me. (edit - just looked and there was some information on this, an extra month is added according to this)

Maybe Ajahn Brahm is simply going with a more solar based calender to keep things standard for people in his area?
Last edited by Cittasanto on Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Cittasanto wrote: maybe Ajahn Brahm is simply going with a more solar based calender to keep things standard for people in his area?
Or maybe he has a teaching engagement on the other weekend.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Just edited the last comment, but he would be allowed 6 full days leave, and I am sure he would be able to organise his time to accomodate the "festivals."
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thank you all for your replies. Since I consider Ajahn Brahm my teacher I will observe Vesak on the 6th.