qi gong

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
befriend

qi gong

Post by befriend » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 am

ive started practicing chi gong a small amount in the morning and evenings. it is like weight training for your energy. my chi feels very strong, clean and i feel more comfortable in my body. ive dabbled with it before, but its amazing as to how fast it works. i dont doubt the handful of years i have meditating has kind of giving a strong base for the qi gong possibly why its so succesful. as i take it qi gong is linked more so with taoism, but taoism is a pretty dhammic religion. and many buddhist practice it. just thought id share this wonderful practice with others who are want to feel better energy. apacayana. befriend.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

Ben

Re: qi gong

Post by Ben » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 am

Wishing you the very best for your new-found healthy pursuit!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 pm

I don't know how accurate this is, but there is the catchphrase that the Chinese practice Confucianism in public, Taoism at home, and Buddhism at death.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

I have been doing qigong for some years, and can recommend it as a way to loosen up before meditation. It is also a great opportunity to practice mindfulness of the body. There are many forms of qigong, and some teachers have made outlandish claims for it; everyone should use their own judgement on what is best for them.

sattva

Post by sattva » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi befriend,
I had several books probably 7-10 years ago on Chi Kung (qi gong). I learned a few of the moves, but found it difficult to keep up a practice without something more than a book. Recently, i received as gifts for birthday and Christmas some dvd's and am beginning a very light and gentle routine. We'll see if it helps. Also am starting up a yoga practice that is geared towards those who are older and infirmed. I did a very small amount of both yesterday and felt "better" afterwards. I am actually trying to wait until my new tv/dvd player which is larger to come and for my yoga mat to arrive before i begin in earnest. Keep me posted if you will, on how it goes for you. Good luck!!!

thisisanoldrule

Post by thisisanoldrule » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 am

Buckwheat wrote:I don't know how accurate this is, but there is the catchphrase that the Chinese practice Confucianism in public, Taoism at home, and Buddhism at death.

Maybe once upon a time, but with the Communist revolution I think these sorts of concepts fell out of favor.

.... I wonder how many actively practicing Taoists there are. :sage: Doesn't seem to be much of an online presence.

Ferox

Post by Ferox » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:36 pm

I practice PaKua Chang kung fu( circle walking, no closed fists, very good for health) and we do a half hour of circle walking which is physical and mental training including qi gong. I'm not sure I can say it's more helpful then anything else I do, but It is without a doubt good for my body.
-just one more being treading the ancient path of Dhamma-