What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
User1249x

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by User1249x »

oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm
https://suttacentral.net/en/an3.68
...‘Friends, there are these three qualities. Which three?
  • Passion, aversion, & delusion.
These are the three qualities. Now what is the difference, what the distinction, what the distinguishing factor among these three qualities?’—when thus asked, you should answer those wanderers of other sects in this way,
  • ‘Friends, passion carries little blame and is slow to fade.
  • Aversion carries great blame and is quick to fade.
  • Delusion carries great blame and is slow to fade.
Also you express yourself well enough to inspire me friend, without music, when u post music it just concerns me.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:21 pm
7. "Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:
"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up singing and dancing, the playing of musical instruments and the watching of entertainments, which are stumbling blocks to that which is wholesome. Nor do they bedeck themselves with ornaments, flowers or perfume.'
"All of you have given up singing and dancing, the playing of musical instruments and the watching of entertainments, which are stumbling blocks to that which is wholesome. You do not bedeck yourselves with ornaments, flowers or perfume. For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the seventh factor of the Uposatha.
That is the ideal and always a good idea to follow as much as possible, but some people are not ready for such serious practice. Some can practice the 8 precepts on just a few days a month and then gradually hopefully add more days.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

oncereturner wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 pm I guess Buddha said not to listen to music.i can't find the source text.
I don't think there is a quote where he says it like that "Don't listen to music", i imagine he would not want to scare people or make them feel bad if he can avoid it so he would take time to explain it better because it is nuanced, karma is complicated, feeling guilty or fear is more unwholesome than liking. Wrong views are worst.

That beings said it is right that one feels a bit shame and regret over what is regretful, it is natural and good. Abandoning of Wrong View is greatest.
Dhammapada Chapter on Hell.

Verse 316. False Beliefs Lead To Hell

They are ashamed where shame is not
but where is shame are not ashamed
so by embracing evil views
beings go to an evil birth.

Explanation: Those who are ashamed of what they should not be ashamed of, and those who are unashamed of what they should be ashamed of, all those who embrace false views go to woeful states.

Verse 317. Fear And Fearlessness In Wrong Places

They are afraid where fear is not
but where is fear are unafraid,

Explanation: There are some who are afraid of what they should not fear. There are also some who are not afraid of what they should really fear. They, all, who embrace false beliefs go to woeful states.

Verse 318. Right And Wrong

Faults they see where fault is not
but where is fault they see it not,

Explanation: Those who take what is correct as incorrect, and those who take what is not correct as correct, both go to woeful states when they depart because of their false beliefs.

Verse 319. Right Understanding

A fault they understand as such,
they know as well where fault is not,
so by embracing righteous views
beings go to a happy rebirth.

Explanation: They regard error as error, and what is right as right. Those people who embrace right views go to heaven.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Here is another about hell and goodness;
"Take the case of another man. He is endowed with unwavering devotion to the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha. But he is not joyous in wisdom and has not gained release. Yet by destroying three fetters[6] and weakening lust, hatred and delusion, he is a Once-returner, who will return once more to this world and put an end to suffering. That man is entirely freed from... states of woe.

"Take the case of another man. He is endowed with unwavering devotion to the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha. But he is not joyous in wisdom and has not gained release. Yet by destroying three fetters he is a Stream-Winner, not subject to rebirth in states of woe, assured of enlightenment. That man is entirely freed... from states of woe.

"Take the case of another man. He is not even endowed with unwavering devotion to the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha. He is not joyous and swift in wisdom and has not gained release. But perhaps he has these things: the faculty of faith, of energy, of mindfulness, of concentration, of wisdom. And the things proclaimed by the Tathaagata are moderately approved by him with insight. That man does not go to the realm of hungry ghosts, to the downfall, to the evil way, to states of woe.

"Take the case of another man. He is not even endowed with unwavering devotion to the Buddha, the Dhamma, the Sangha. He is not joyous and swift in wisdom and has not gained release. But he has just these things: the faculty of faith, of energy, of mindfulness, of concentration, of wisdom. Yet if he has merely faith, merely affection for the Tathaagata, that man, too, does not go to... states of woe.[7]
:anjali:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

DNS wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 pm Some can practice the 8 precepts on just a few days a month and then gradually hopefully add more days.
Ye it's allure is very strong i have not been able to kick it yet either i think it is most difficult when living in the city.
denise

Post by denise »

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

User1249x wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:07 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:40 pm Some can practice the 8 precepts on just a few days a month and then gradually hopefully add more days.
Ye it's allure is very strong i have not been able to kick it yet either i think it is most difficult when living in the city.
Music is not an allure for me and I don't visit night clubs, but was just referring to most people in general who enjoy those things and how that is okay, as everyone will find their way in due time, when they are ready. And this is not to say that I follow all 8 precepts all the time; as I still enjoy good food (choosing tasty foods) and good sports (watching and participating) occasionally.
oncereturner

Post by oncereturner »

Deleted unwholesome music.
"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."

— SN 45.8
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
denise

Post by denise »

SDC

Post by SDC »

Listening to this for the millionth time, somewhat against my will:

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

SDC wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:04 pm Listening to this for the millionth time, somewhat against my will:

Haha the little dudettes got you !
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
SDC

Post by SDC »

aflatun wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:49 am Haha the little dudettes got you !
Got me crazy...

:rolleye:
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters