What music are you listening to right now?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
retrofuturist

Re: What music are you listening to right now?

Post by retrofuturist »

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sattva

Post by sattva »

I watched the DVD "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" recently. This old song from 1974 was in it. It's been running through my head off and on since I watched the movie.

"The Air that I Breathe" by the Hollies

http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

This is a bit...different. A 70s disco song about Rasputin - one of the most controversial and enigmatic figures in Russian history.

"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Louise,
sattva wrote:... the Hollies.
A wonderful and influential band, often overlooked in the history of modern music.

Coincidentally, I saw part of an interview with Graham Nash of the Hollies last night. He seems like a nice guy, and his attitude on life is a refreshing one. He grew up during WW2 when England was under attack, and he had such an appreciation to be alive once it was over, that his attitude to life as a whole has become one of appreciation, gratitude and thankfulness - kusala qualities which are somewhat lacking in today's grievance-culture fuelled society.

I see that appreciative perspective come through in the lyrics of the song you posted, and the song is all the more beautiful for it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
sattva

Post by sattva »

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings Louise,
sattva wrote:... the Hollies.
A wonderful and influential band, often overlooked in the history of modern music.

Coincidentally, I saw part of an interview with Graham Nash of the Hollies last night. He seems like a nice guy, and his attitude on life is a refreshing one. He grew up during WW2 when England was under attack, and he had such an appreciation to be alive once it was over, that his attitude to life as a whole has become one of appreciation, gratitude and thankfulness - kusala qualities which are somewhat lacking in today's grievance-culture fuelled society.

I see that appreciative perspective come through in the lyrics of the song you posted, and the song is all the more beautiful for it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Glad you liked it. My teacher has recommended to me different times writing down things to be grateful for each day. That practice comes and goes for me even though I do believe that it is a wonderful way to live and to experience life. I think the song also speaks to those moments when you don't want anything. Breathing and loving is there right in the moment and it is enough. Nothing needs to be added. Those moments are so freeing. I had one of them recently where it was like there was nothing I needed or wanted. My heart just felt full for no reason, not dependent on anything or any return. I think it would be wonderful to be able to always be like that. You said, "...the song is all the more beautiful for it" and I would add, besides that, the guitar playing just rocks! :D
Ben

Post by Ben »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJYombwohAM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
sattva

Post by sattva »

sattva

Post by sattva »

Came across this song for a song name game. I had never heard it before now. Thought of you, denise!

denise

Post by denise »

Thanks Sattva! Enjoyed the trip.... :rofl:
denise

Post by denise »

Yutaka
TonyConrad

Post by TonyConrad »

2 Pandora Stations

"That's how you change the world" by Newsboys
"Tibetan Chant Radio"

:alien: :quote:
They .. will not listen when discourses that are words of the Tathagata ..are being recited. They will not lend ear, will not set their hearts on knowing them, will not regard these teachings as worth grasping or mastering. But they will listen when discourses that are literary works — the works of poets, elegant in sound, elegant in rhetoric, the work of outsiders, words of disciples — are recited. ..Thus from corrupt Dhamma comes corrupt discipline; from corrupt discipline, corrupt Dhamma.

This, monks, is the fourth future danger .. work to get rid of it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SDC

Post by SDC »

Old school Appalachian murder ballad. You would think this would've been frowned upon, but apparently stories of murders have been a part of folk music for centuries - detailing the planning of the crime, the committing of the crime and then the capture, or execution, or death of the killer. I guess they were the "crime dramas" of the time.

“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
denise

Post by denise »

"A long time gone" ....Crosby Stills and Nash