Do you remember ....?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Do you remember ....?

Post by cooran »

Hello all,

Do you remember the turbulent passion which erupted at the very thought that there could be deliberate injustice in this world? Not here, of course, but somewhere’ other’ .. ‘over there’ .. Do you remember the heartbreak and incredulous outrage when it was realised that our governments were acting - not by mistake, not by misunderstanding, but by informed choice? And ‘we’ were responsible, for many of the injustices?

Do you remember how we thought it could all be fixed, the wrongs could be righted, the decisions reversed, things put back to the way they ought to be? There were places to go, people to convince, wrongs to be righted .. banners to be waved .. demos to attend .. statements to be issued .. judgments pronounced .. late night conversations .. funds to be raised .. New worlds to be constructed .. Glad and willing sacrifice to be made .. The righteous anger (didn’t it feel good?) .. the feeling of being ‘alive’ and driven and having a purpose - a good purpose - the right purpose, fired by the burning determination to bring about change ..we shall overcome .. kumbaya ... the times they are a-changing ...

But … how is it that everything reverts back to the same old, same old … echoes of ‘nothing new under the sun’ … plus ca change …

Will we ever feel that there is Nothing left to say … Has there always really been Nothing really to do?

Greed Hate and Delusion rule the world

Where have I heard that before?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Re: Do you remember ....?

Post by Kim OHara »

Not only do I remember, I try to keep the passion for justice alive.

:namaste:
Kim
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

:goodpost:

Although it's not easy.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Thank you for the post, cooran!

I so rarely hear sentiments like these these days that it sounds like a echo of a distant past...

I was feeling excited about the Occupy protesters in Melbourne this morning, about the sense that something is being done to challenge the status quo, to dream about a better world and declare these dreams boldly.

For my part, sadly I feel more and more apathy, though I try to do a little here and there. Maybe it's the rain and the gray skies outside my window?
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Chris,

Bhikkhu Bodhi makes for a stellar example.
Also look to the link in my signature for Compassionate Hands Foundation and see what one person, Snow Aye. has been able to achieve to alleviate the suffering of others.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..