thoughts on jesus

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Alexei

Re: thoughts on jesus

Post by Alexei » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 pm

delf7 wrote:i am still a little confused as to who (or IF) jesus actually was
"The Son of Man", one of the many Judaic teachers of that time. Like John the Baptist or Essenes.

But they just didn't gain such incredible world-wide popularity.

By the way John the Baptist was a pretty famous figure and there was a lot of people who believed that he had resurrected. In the from of Jesus (!).

And it seems resurrection was a common event at that time :)
  • King Herod heard this, for his name had become known, and he said, "John the Baptizer has risen from the dead, and therefore these powers are at work in him." But others said, "He is Elijah." Others said, "He is a prophet, or like one of the prophets." (Mark 6:14)
    At that time, Herod the tetrarch heard the report concerning Jesus, and said to his servants, "This is John the Baptizer. He is risen from the dead. That is why these powers work in him." (Matthew 14:1)
    Now when Jesus came into the parts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, "Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?" They said, "Some say John the Baptizer, some, Elijah, and others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets." (Matthew 16:13)

Tex

Post by Tex » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:27 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't care one way or another.
+1

Though I saw this recently, and it brought a wry smile...

Metta,
Retro. :)
That's tremendous.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus

unspoken

Post by unspoken » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:49 am

Through what I understand, I just take up possibility to understand more about Jesus Christ

So what I think Jesus is actually, a man whos past life was a celestial being who lived in the realm of Brahma( the rebirth realm is something like what you will reborn to, human,animals,bugs etc. But Brahma realm is a realm that is almost the top of the form realm) So what happened is, the Brahma is not a omnipotent omniscient being. But he is the king of his kingdom, the people ruled by him do have powers that a celestial beings should have in there. And when Jesus rebirth, due to his lacking of remembering his past life, he was only able to recall some memories. God, what we called Brahma is the king who rule his kingdom in heaven, those who do good will be there and stuffs like that, is mentioned by Jesus. But ofcourse, since Jesus was previously a celestial being, he too had abilities or 'powers' that actually still remained in him. Jesus is not a buddha, not one who freed from all defilements, so there's a catch when he preach and teach people to do good and behave well. During that time, the 'dark ages' where people behaving badly, those people do not have much wisdom in them, so Jesus had to used a metaphoric way to teach folks the way to behave, to do good, how to be free from problems. But since folks that time are not wise enough, the interpretation is not accurate, they pass down verbally from one person to another until the day paper invented. The bible written by the people is not 100% accurate to what Jesus taught. And we do not know did Jesus said he die for our sins, or maybe the people 'think' he is doing that for them. I not sure whether Jesus resurrect or resurrect in their heart. And I not sure did he said something about the coming prophet, there comes an extremist who called M of I said he is the last prophet. He initially invert everyone gently, but after that when he started to brainwash people, he got more power. So what he did, he started this new religion and slaughtered massive Jews, he claims the words he spoke is the word of God. There goes the long chain of suffering introduced by a man's delusion, followed by the followers' stupidity.

If there's something that you do not agree, can just quote it up. That is what I presume. Not 100% accurate. And this do not represent all the buddhists' word

Blind Summit

Post by Blind Summit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:08 pm

delf7 wrote: i had been gradually falling away from christianity in the past several years because it just wasn't making any sence to me anymore.
For me Christianity only started to make sense once I studied Gnosticism. I firmly believe that the Christianity of the Church differs significantly from the Christianity of Christ.
Just my opinion... :)

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:52 am

Blind Summit wrote: I firmly believe that the Christianity of the Church differs significantly from the Christianity of Christ.
We could say, equally truthfully, that the institutional Buddhism of modern Buddhist countries differs significantly from the Buddhism of the Buddha.
And perhaps some of us would say that Buddhism only started to make sense once we studied the suttas.
:thinking:

Kim

Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Mawkish1983 wrote:I don't care one way or another.
+1

Though I saw this recently, and it brought a wry smile...

Metta,
Retro. :)
Hahaha, yes!! I was reading a little bit of the Bible a few months back and totally had this realization that Jesus was a hippy. Obviously, I'm not the first person to notice. :tongue:
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Buckwheat wrote:Jesus was a hippy.
Matthew 21:12
"And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all who sold and bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons."

The only occasion of Jesus using physical force in the Bible. The 99% shall inherit the earth?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

GraemeR

thoughts on jesus

Post by GraemeR » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 am

Blind Summit[img] wrote: For me Christianity only started to make sense once I studied Gnosticism. I firmly believe that the Christianity of the Church differs significantly from the Christianity of Christ.
I must admit I agree that the teaching of the established churches simply fog the teaching of Jesus for me. Gnostic teaching are interesting. Not all the Gnostic Gospels quite make sense to me either though :)
Graham

Chi

Post by Chi » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Dude, according to all the historical accounts, whether they are in the Bible or not, Jesus was a spiritual warrior.

His courage and ability to inspire were top-notch. Sure, he may not have been as liberated as the Buddha, but anybody who can say "sell all your things and follow me" and actually live the message he is preaching deserves respect, at the minimum.

Just my two cents.
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.

Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:05 pm

And some of us might say that Buddha Dharma only made sense when we respectfully put the Suttas to one side and studied our minds instead once informed to some degree by the Suttas..

" Its not in ANY books, only the book of the heart , its all there, Dhamma.... Buddha " Luang Por Chah.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.