Forum Problem?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
woodsman

Forum Problem?

Post by woodsman »

I am having real issues trying to post and have for some time. The forum is painfully slow and searching is almost impossible resulting in crash after crash. I've run a speed test on my connection and its fine and I also have no trouble posting on several other forums and I have tried different browsers (same) and also the same on my phone (using 4G). For instance just tried three times to post a relatively short question to no avail. Crash, crash, crash! Not even sure if this post will land! :coffee:

SarathW

Re: Forum Problem?

Post by SarathW »

Well.
I could read this post.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

woodsman

Post by woodsman »

SarathW wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 am
Well.
I could read this post.
Excellent, I was lucky then. What is going on with the search facility though. It seems so sporadic and generally posting is touch and go - feels like a cache needs clearing or something??

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Woodsman,

There's definitely something up.

I'd describe it in general terms as you can submit data (e.g. submit and post, or send a PM), and it sends, and is received by the board software.

But it gets stuck on routing back to the "next page" that it should take you to.

I think this accounts for some of the multiple posts that people have been making of late.

Long story short, David (DNS) is aware of the problem, but it's an intermittent problem, which unfortunately makes it more difficult to diagnose. Nonetheless, I will bring to his attention that it remains a problem.

:coffee:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

woodsman wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:08 am
SarathW wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 am
Well.
I could read this post.
Excellent, I was lucky then. What is going on with the search facility though. It seems so sporadic and generally posting is touch and go - feels like a cache needs clearing or something??
The search facility has always been less than perfect with my set-up, and I tend to get round this by just Googling "Dhamma Wheel" followed by the topic or the key terms therein. It gets you there quicker if you are going to get there at all.

Things seem to crash more frequently since the lock-down, but that might just be my paranoia :thinking:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Sam Vara wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 am
I tend to get round this by just Googling "Dhamma Wheel" followed by the topic or the key terms therein. It gets you there quicker if you are going to get there at all.
This is true. Even better, pop your searches into Google Saffron and the results will be filtered even more back to known Theravada sites (including this one). For example if there's an old post I'm looking for, I will often search retrofuturist dhammawheel and then whatever keywords I'm looking for.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Now I understand your problem.
I had this problem for about two months now and I ignore it.
Once I post I will go to an active post then I can see my post.
It is a nuance. I agree.
It is an intermittent problem perhaps something to do with the traffic on DW website.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

zan

Post by zan »

I've not had the search function work in several years.

I google my query followed by "site:dhammawheel.com"

This searches only this site and so is the same function.

I've been having issues with posts not going through after submitting for a long time and then double or triple posts. This has been a very recent problem.
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.

zan

Post by zan »

retrofuturist wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:30 am
Greetings,
Sam Vara wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:27 am
I tend to get round this by just Googling "Dhamma Wheel" followed by the topic or the key terms therein. It gets you there quicker if you are going to get there at all.
This is true. Even better, pop your searches into Google Saffron and the results will be filtered even more back to known Theravada sites (including this one). For example if there's an old post I'm looking for, I will often search retrofuturist dhammawheel and then whatever keywords I'm looking for.

Metta,
:thumbsup:

Google Saffron is awesome. I use it regularly.
I am just a learner. Keep that in mind when you read my words.

Just to be safe, assume all of my words could be incorrect. Look to an arahant for total accuracy and confirmation.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The search function has always been like that. The best bet is to search what you want under the specific username’s post, on their account info. If you can’t remember who posted it then do a google search, dhammawheel search or, if all else fails, make a post asking people where to find it.
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I have regular connection problems here, and often have to delete multiple posts.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

We're doing some work, behind the scenes. There may be some glitches in the next few days with avatars or other things, stay tuned in for updates.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings David,

FYI - the automatic embedding of certain things (e.g. Tweets) is presently not operational... They just show as a link.

Metta,

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

did the forum change colors? i don't like it this bright
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Something is a bit different... including avatars being on the right, rather than the left, when accessed via a computer browser.

Clearly some display setting have been compromised by the work that David has been doing to fix the above issues. I suspect the version of the board software has been upgraded...

I'll see what I can fix myself, via the Admin Control Panel.

:thanks:

Metta,