Spelling

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Aloka

Spelling

Post by Aloka » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 am

Would it be a good idea if there was a spellchecking facility available ? There seems to have been an increase in inaccurate spelling attempts and abbreviated words lately, which doesn't make good reading....well for me, at least!

robertk

Re: Spelling

Post by robertk » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am

Aloka wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 am
Would it be a good idea if there was a spellchecking facility available ? There seems to have been an increase in inaccurate spelling attempts and abbreviated words lately, which doesn't make good reading....well for me, at least!

It would be useful..

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I can't remember it being an available option in the BB software and I'm not an admin these days so I can't check.
Non-native speakers of English might appreciate it if it can be implemented but I suspect that some of our younger native speakers would ignore it.

I would, too, if it tried to insist on American English. :stirthepot:

:coffee:
Kim

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Aloka wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:29 am
I used to post at a forum where they implemented this -- it didn't help.

If people are dyslexic or aren't fluent speakers, spellchecking software doesn't seem to help much.

People who are dyslexic or who aren't fluent speakers probably don't know what the word they intend to use is supposed to be spelled like and cannot discern it from other words that are spelled similarly but have a different meaning. So ordinary spellcheck software is useless for them. They would need a type of software that offers a variety of words along with the definitions of their meanings (I'm not sure such software is free or affordable).

Nothing can compete with learning the language oneself. If anything, people should be inspired (or made) to do so, rather than offered quick fixes.
Besides, having a few dyslexics and some foreigners on board isn't the end of the world, either.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm

"Fluent speakers" can still be lazy with their spelling and people with a variety of learning difficulties are often capable of using a spellchecker.

Still, nevere mynd, eye hav noa hintrst yn argeyuwin, yt wud b 2 boaring!

Haf a nyse dai binokewlor!

:heart:

binocular

Post by binocular » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:38 pm

Aloka wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm
"Fluent speakers" can still be lazy with their spelling
Come to think of it: Natrual languages naturally develop dialects and variations. Why wouldn't the same apply for the use of language o nthe internet?
I naturally made two typos in the previous sentence, I only noticed them in hindsight. In spoekn language, such things would not occur and would not be acceptable.
But, in spoken languages, some changes do occur, and they have to do with the various phonological propensities and givens of a language, and people come to accept them, this is how dialects and other variations of spoekn language develop.
On the internet, which is mostly a written language medium, an equivalent of that occurs, namely, typos, and other mistakes that have to do with the propensities and givens of typing texts on a computer keyboard. Thus, computer keyboard induced dialects of primarily typed and secondarily spoken language. That makes sense.

- - -

Meh, I take no issue with people's spelling. Those who see value in being civilized will learn to speak and spell properly, and those who don't see value in being civilized won't begin to see it by speaking and spelling properly.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

BKh

Post by BKh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Don't all browsers have a built in spell checker? Seems like they have had them for about 15 years. Anyone who wasn't using the browser's built in spell checker would be unlikely us use one in the forum software.
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space

perkele

Post by perkele » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Aloka wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:44 pm
"Fluent speakers" can still be lazy with their spelling
That is definately the case. And they often don't appreciate being corrected, either.
BKh wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:05 pm
Don't all browsers have a built in spell checker? Seems like they have had them for about 15 years. Anyone who wasn't using the browser's built in spell checker would be unlikely us use one in the forum software.
I thought so, too. Maybe some browsers don't. Some might have turned it off in their settings because it can be a nuisance. I have become quite accustomed to ignoring the hinting red underlining completely, because of false positives.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 pm

It alreadie exists, purposely misspell something and you'll see a squiggly line underneath it, for example, where I wrote aleadie here. It might just be this browser (firefox), but I think other browsers might have this function too.
misspelled words.png
And then you can hover mouse over the misspelled word and right click for some suggestions for correct spelling.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm interested in the recent internet trend of spelling MN 18 and SN 22.59 (for example) as MN18 and SN22.59 (no gap). Is this a new cult or secret wisdom? Thanks :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:12 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:56 pm
Is this a new cult or secret wisdom? Thanks :smile:
Yes.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm

DooDoot wrote:
I'm interested in the recent internet trend of spelling MN 18 and SN 22.59 (for example) as MN18 and SN22.59 (no gap). Is this a new cult or secret wisdom? Thanks :smile:
The trend of putting a gap there started during one of the many aeons of cosmic expansion. We've evidently entered one of the many aeons of cosmic contraction, and things are starting to get a little bit closer to one another.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:33 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 pm
It alreadie exists, purposely misspell something and you'll see a squiggly line underneath it, for example, where I wrote aleadie here. It might just be this browser (firefox), but I think other browsers might have this function too.

misspelled words.png

And then you can hover mouse over the misspelled word and right click for some suggestions for correct spelling.
But spellcheckers are so stupid! Can't learn, can't tolerate diversity, can't contextualise, no sense of humour ... it's obviously time to roll out the heavy artillery!
:guns:
Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
by Mark Eckman and Jerrold H. Zar

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.
Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.
A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.
Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.
Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.
Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.
Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.
To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.
Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.
from https://www.thoughtco.com/spell-checker ... an-1692348

:rolleye:
Kim

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:09 am

DooDoot wrote:
I'm interested in the recent internet trend of spelling MN 18 and SN 22.59 (for example) as MN18 and SN22.59 (no gap).
I think Sutta Central's discussion forum in its earlier form may be responsible for this. With the original software if you wrote the citation without gaps, then a link to the translation would be automatically generated.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:09 am
DooDoot wrote:
I'm interested in the recent internet trend of spelling MN 18 and SN 22.59 (for example) as MN18 and SN22.59 (no gap).
I think Sutta Central's discussion forum in its earlier form may be responsible for this. With the original software if you wrote the citation without gaps, then a link to the translation would be automatically generated.
That may be so, but there is a broader trend underlying it - a gradual shift away from fullstops ("periods", to Americans) and spaces in all kinds of abbreviations over the last few decades, especially in academic writing. For instance, "M. C. Escher" used to be correct but now "MC Escher" is more usual.

:coffee:
Kim