Poe's Law - Defense

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
binocular

Re: Poe's Law - Defense

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:38 pm
Sure. I mean that if you were successful in instigating a policy to eradicate trolls from this forum, you might fall foul of it yourself.
Hrmph!

I've seen extremist stances like the one suggested by the OP in people who have lost their faith, or were on the brink of losing it, and who tried to keep it, artificially, fanatically.

Rigidity and intolerance of the spiritual process taking time and effort are actually what stalls the process.
“One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.”
- Robert Heinlein

SDC

Post by SDC »

All we're trying to do here is maintain a discussion space where all aspects of Theravada can be discussed. It is a combination of making sure individuals aren't attempting to limit nor broaden that scope beyond points whereby Theravada and, most importantly, the Buddha, are misrepresented. And that which is within that scope, it is the goal for the ToS and the actions of the membership to take care of the rest in terms of maintaining a community.

You seem to have a goal in mind that applies to something much broader and it would surely limit what we are trying to do here.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Manopubbangama wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm
As someone who has submitted myself to the discipline of real Buddhist monks, I welcome said discipline from my spiritual superiors. I hope everyone who calls themselves a Buddhist would.
Seems as though someone could ordain if they were looking for the degree of discipline you are suggesting.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

Manopubbangama wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm

As someone who has submitted myself to the discipline of real Buddhist monks, I welcome said discipline from my spiritual superiors. I hope everyone who calls themselves a Buddhist would.
And so do we all, but hopefully you get my point.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Hrmph!
Slovenian?
I've seen extremist stances like the one suggested by the OP in people who have lost their faith, or were on the brink of losing it, and who tried to keep it, artificially, fanatically.

Rigidity and intolerance of the spiritual process taking time and effort are actually what stalls the process.
Yes, you may well be right.

binocular

Post by binocular »

Manopubbangama wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 6:33 pm
I think DhammaWheel should attempt to divert such inevitable trolls who bring harm to the forum, lest Buddhists come to the conclusion that the forum is, indeed, a living example of Poe's Law. Were said trolls to succeed, we would become, essentially a mockery - nothing but toilet scribbles on the internet promoting wrong view.
If what you suggest is Buddhism, then Buddhism is no different from any totalitarian, dogmatic system in which people aren't supposed to actually know things for themselves, but are expected to be obedient serfs.
Maybe that's what it is all about anyway ...
“One man’s “magic” is another man’s engineering. “Supernatural” is a null word.”
- Robert Heinlein

binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 pm
binocular wrote:
Hrmph!
Slovenian?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hrmph
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hrmph
- Robert Heinlein

budo

Post by budo »

I believe in positive reinforcement more than punishment. I would say there are quality posters like Assaji and Frank k, and that one recent new member who translated a whole portion of the patisambidhamagga last week that was left out. These types of members should be rewarded and recognized for their contributions, maybe a badge of some sort.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:57 pm
binocular wrote:
Hrmph!
Slovenian?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hrmph
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hrmph
hrmph

Expressing hesitation.
Expressing mild annoyance.
Representing clearing one's throat.
Which one?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings budo,
budo wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 pm
These types of members should be rewarded and recognized for their contributions, maybe a badge of some sort.
Feel free to give them a "thank you". Gratitude is good both for the giver and the receiver.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

"Overcome the liar by truth." (Dhp 223)

budo

Post by budo »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:11 pm
Greetings budo,
budo wrote:
These types of members should be rewarded and recognized for their contributions, maybe a badge of some sort.
Feel free to give them a "thank you". Gratitude is good both for the giver and the receiver.

Metta,
Paul. :)
I have! :twothumbsup:

binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 pm
Which one?
One makes (a point of making) the sound of clearing one's throat when, mildly annoyed, one hesitates or calls for hesitation.
- Robert Heinlein

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:16 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:06 pm
Which one?
One makes (a point of making) the sound of clearing one's throat when, mildly annoyed, one hesitates or calls for hesitation.
I've seen it as "harrumph", but not as "hrmph". So whence the annoyance and hesitation?

SDC

Post by SDC »

budo wrote:
I believe in positive reinforcement more than punishment.
Indeed. Praise is more of an indication that someone has done something of quality as opposed to punishment being indicative of any degree of wisdom on behalf of the one handing it out.

budo

Post by budo »

SDC wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm
budo wrote:
I believe in positive reinforcement more than punishment.
Indeed. Praise is more of an indication that someone has done something of quality as opposed to punishment being indicative of any degree of wisdom on behalf of the one handing it out.
Yes, and an exercise of proper attention as well.