Like / Dislike, Thumbs up / Thumbs down etc.

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
mud

Like / Dislike, Thumbs up / Thumbs down etc.

Post by mud »

So far seems all good :)

Would it be possible to put a thumbs up (or recommend) button so that people can find popular posts?

Maybe a ‘random post’ too could be interesting
retrofuturist

Re: Thumbs up button

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Thumbs up button

Post by DNS »

retrofuturist wrote: If the quality of the Dhamma was determined by popular vote, then this may have some practical use.

However, since realistically it's not, this functionality is only likely to create tension and turn the art of posting into a popularity contest.

That said, I don't know how we could do it even if we wanted to... I'm not sure the platform supports it.
I agree with retro. Even if it were possible, I would not want it. It could easily turn into an ego event for who has the "most" thumbs up's.

In my e-mail responses to people I have this on my signature line:

"democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch."
Benjamin Franklin
seniya

Thank you buttons

Post by seniya »

kirana wrote:
seniya wrote:No, Asoka is not a cakkavatti (ruler of the world), but dipacakkavatti (ruler of the continent, i.e Jambudipa or continent of west):
Hi Seniya,
how about this, i found at Dīpavaṃsa :
asokadhammo ‘bhisitto paṭiladdhā ca iddhiyo, mahātejo puññavanto dīpe cakkapavattako [asokadhamma, after his coronation, obtained the miraculous faculties; exceedingly splendid and rich in meritorious works (he was), universal monarch of Jambudīpa]- Dīp vi,23

mettacittena,
Thx for the info....

Btw, why this forum doesn't have Thank you button like other forums????
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_
kirana

Re: Was Asoka a cakkavatti emperor?

Post by kirana »

seniya wrote:
kirana wrote:
seniya wrote:No, Asoka is not a cakkavatti (ruler of the world), but dipacakkavatti (ruler of the continent, i.e Jambudipa or continent of west):
Hi Seniya,
asokadhammo ‘bhisitto paṭiladdhā ca iddhiyo, mahātejo puññavanto dīpe cakkapavattako [asokadhamma, after his coronation, obtained the miraculous faculties; exceedingly splendid and rich in meritorious works (he was), universal monarch of Jambudīpa]- Dīp vi,23

mettacittena,
Thx for the info....

u r most welcome.
i think dhamma incomparable with "thank u button" [i dont know the admin's policy]

mettacittena,
Mr. G

Re: Was Asoka a cakkavatti emperor?

Post by Mr. G »

seniya wrote:
kirana wrote:
Hi Seniya,

mettacittena,
Thx for the info....

This is a mod that can be added to the forums if the owner wishes:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=373805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even if my body should be burnt to death
In the fires of hell,
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice
- Gandavyuha Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Thank you buttons

Post by DNS »

No thanks, it is our policy right now to not have thank you buttons, thumbs-up buttons, etc.

For some (not all) it might end up being a competition and another chance to feed the ego.

Thanks for the suggestion, but for now we will not be adopting that one.

One could still post the smilie: :goodpost: once in a while when there is a post that one is especially fond of or of course thanking someone for some good info.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

And there definitely won't be a "karma" function to enable members to smite each other!

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

If you wish to show somebody gratitude, you can always just post your thanks, or even privately message them. :thanks:

:anjali:
seniya

Post by seniya »

Ok, thx for the attention.... :)

I understand the policy of this forum.... :anjali:
I'm sorry if my words are not understandable and it is in impolite expression, because my native language is not English....

Mettacitena

_/\_
Mohan Gnanathilake

Re: What is the future of Dhamma Wheel

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

Aesthetics, usability, service quality, pleasurable interaction, content and website identity are assessed on the judgment of Buddhist website quality.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.
I also think below avatar it should say what tradition person follows if any, thats important piece of information for people to navigate.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

User156079 wrote:Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.
Is that even possible with this phpBB forum system?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mkoll wrote:
User156079 wrote:Id like to see a reputation stat for members something like stackexchange.com, similar or better.
I am sure it is possible, the question is: “Is it desirable?”
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
I am sure it is possible, the question is: “Is it desirable?”
Oh nice, I didn't think this old bucket of bolts had it in her. :mrgreen:

That is a good question, indeed.