ban members who are disruptive

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User1249x

ban members who are disruptive

Post by User1249x »

Why are people allowed to keep posting when a huge portion if not the majority of their posts is removed by moderators anyway as they are in breach of ToS and the other part that is not removed is hardly if ever useful? It is like people are allowed to just spam and litter the forum with disruptive, off-topic, passive-aggressive and useless posts.

I suggest temporary bans be given more often. Breach of ToS = 7 days ban automatically and a 7 day probation, no questions asked. Second violation during probation 14 days ban and 14 days probation, third violation during probation 30 days ban and 30 days probation.

Given that some post more than others time-based probation is not ideal and posts removed:posts made ratio is a better measure and ideally the mods should be able to issue penalties and warnings on a case to case basis.

IE i have recently reported about 10/15 posts by certain member and about 7 of those reports resulted in removal and the other posts were pretty much passive aggressive remarks or disruptive and stupid questions posed out of spite. This type of participation is garbage and it in turn prompts low quality responses which are in themselves also of no value to community, are perceived as quarrelsome and are often subject to removal as well.
binocular

Re: ban members who are disruptive

Post by binocular »

How about punishing people who conclude their posts with a passive aggressive "metta", "best wishes", or " :anjali: "?
I find that few things are as disruptive as a passive aggressive :anjali: .

But there's also an easy solution to the problems you describe: make it clear that Buddhism is only for Buddhists. Because that's what it all really comes down to.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 pm How about punishing people who conclude their posts with a passive aggressive "metta", "best wishes", or " :anjali: "?

But there's also an easy solution to the problems you describe: make it clear that Buddhism is only for Buddhists. Because that's what it all really comes down to.
I am personally trying to refer to people as friend lately, not because i want to come off as a nice guy but because if i don't it seems to create even more of a hostile dynamic which makes the discussion more argumentative and competitive on my end as well.

As a rule i feel angst before logging in because i do get insulted and adressed with wild allegations and unsubstantiated claims daily so i try to minimize that for my own sake.

Sometimes it does seem phony when people do it but i appreciate the sentiment.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

binocular wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 pm How about punishing people who conclude their posts with a passive aggressive "metta", "best wishes", or " :anjali: "?

Binocular how do you define punishment and be a Buddhist at the same time.

I can see where who this is directed at, thats why I am replying

I would consider it just as your perception.

To be straight forward in the Atma thread please re read without Bias when I was talking with DarrenM, and his was rudely interrupted by doodoot, with his fixed ideas and preaching, who can only consider to just see in one way, the forum is in dharma connections, some already have the impression that there is none, so why bother posting , when maybe there is. If I leave a message with best wishes anjali or whatever its to show there is no real bad intent and a hope for change. You can read into that as you see fit.

Personally I am not so attached to these forums. Anjai or namaste are words that I respect because they have a deep significant meaning and I would never use them in passive aggressive way, the rest is down to your perception.

:anjali:
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Let's ban members who disagree with us & don't fall within the sphere of emptiness & metta. :strawman:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Some want some here for a reason, the wardens dont want to set the prisoners free
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
User1249x wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:06 pm I suggest temporary bans be given more often. Breach of ToS = 7 days ban automatically and a 7 day probation, no questions asked. Second violation during probation 14 days ban and 14 days probation, third violation during probation 30 days ban and 30 days probation.
FYI...
Suspensions of up to 1 month may be unilaterally enforced by a moderator, if the member has a prior history of misdemeanours on record (either formal warning or suspension).

If the member has no previous misdemeanours logged, a moderator may unilaterally suspend a member for up to 2 weeks.

Suspensions of greater severity, or permanent bans are to be discussed collectively amongst moderators, with a view to reaching a consensus position.

Obvious spam accounts can be banned or deleted by any moderator without consultation.
So, that's what can happen.

Do also keep in mind that unless you have developed omniscience and not informed us of this achievement, members do not see everything that happens behind the scenes, so just because you personally don't observe something, doesn't automatically mean that nothing is happening.

And with that, the suggestion has been made, noted, and this topic will be closed.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."