Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am
IRL this is a common practice called a restraining order, this is not something unheard of. If someone harasses me, makes unsubstantiated claims etc, why not force segragation?
IRL the solution I suggested (i.e. ignoring them) is called common sense, or being an adult.
If you dont want moderate perhaps you are unfit to be a moderator.
I do want to moderate. That's why I'm doing it now, upaid! What you mean is that if I don't want to "moderate" in the way that you think I ought to, then I would be unfit to be a moderator. I'm fine with that!

By the same token, if anyone lacks the maturity to take responsibility for their own reactions to other people, then perhaps they are unfit to post here.

User avatar
rightviewftw
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by rightviewftw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am
IRL this is a common practice called a restraining order, this is not something unheard of. If someone harasses me, makes unsubstantiated claims etc, why not force segragation?
IRL the solution I suggested (i.e. ignoring them) is called common sense, or being an adult.
If you dont want moderate perhaps you are unfit to be a moderator.
I do want to moderate. That's why I'm doing it now, upaid! What you mean is that if I don't want to "moderate" in the way that you think I ought to, then I would be unfit to be a moderator. I'm fine with that!

By the same token, if anyone lacks the maturity to take responsibility for their own reactions to other people, then perhaps they are unfit to post here.
What i meant is that if the policy changes in a way that is disagreeable to you and you dont want to enforce it, then you are unfit to moderate.

What is this talk about taking responsibility and a lack of maturity? I have no clue what it is you are referring to.

People get restraining orders for a reason, usually this is because "ignoring them" does not work.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

User avatar
budo
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am
Location: The world

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by budo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:49 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:38 am
IRL this is a common practice called a restraining order, this is not something unheard of. If someone harasses me, makes unsubstantiated claims etc, why not force segragation?
IRL the solution I suggested (i.e. ignoring them) is called common sense, or being an adult.
If you dont want moderate perhaps you are unfit to be a moderator.
I do want to moderate. That's why I'm doing it now, upaid! What you mean is that if I don't want to "moderate" in the way that you think I ought to, then I would be unfit to be a moderator. I'm fine with that!

By the same token, if anyone lacks the maturity to take responsibility for their own reactions to other people, then perhaps they are unfit to post here.
What i meant is that if the policy changes in a way that is disagreeable to you and you dont want to enforce it, then you are unfit to moderate.

What is this talk about taking responsibility and a lack of maturity? I have no clue what it is you are referring to.

People get restraining orders for a reason, usually this is because "ignoring them" does not work.
A restraining order is important to prevent people from coming to your house or where you work. This is a private forum and no one is forcing you to read posts. The difference is voluntary. You can voluntarily ignore me, but you cannot voluntarily prevent me from finding where you live and paying you a visit, unless you get a restraining order.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am

What is this talk about taking responsibility and a lack of maturity? I have no clue what it is you are referring to.
From the ToS:
At Dhamma Wheel, we respect your intellectual and spiritual autonomy. As such, the staff here will not enforce reverence to anyone or anything, nor censor speech gratuitously. In keeping with this respect for your autonomy, we expect you to be personally responsible for your own emotions and responses.
People are responsible for their reactions to what someone else posts. If someone posts something that I disagree with, or that I find objectionable, then I am responsible for how I deal with it. I don't ask for them to be censored.
People get restraining orders for a reason, usually this is because "ignoring them" does not work.


Sure. They get restraining orders because people are stalking, harassing, or menacing them in real life. I don't think they get restraining orders because of silly arguments on the internet about the nature of Buddhist concepts. If you think restraining orders are a good idea, then apply to a court to have one applied to whatever bothers you on DW. Good luck!

User avatar
rightviewftw
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by rightviewftw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am

What is this talk about taking responsibility and a lack of maturity? I have no clue what it is you are referring to.
From the ToS:
At Dhamma Wheel, we respect your intellectual and spiritual autonomy. As such, the staff here will not enforce reverence to anyone or anything, nor censor speech gratuitously. In keeping with this respect for your autonomy, we expect you to be personally responsible for your own emotions and responses.
People are responsible for their reactions to what someone else posts. If someone posts something that I disagree with, or that I find objectionable, then I am responsible for how I deal with it. I don't ask for them to be censored.
People get restraining orders for a reason, usually this is because "ignoring them" does not work.


Sure. They get restraining orders because people are stalking, harassing, or menacing them in real life. I don't think they get restraining orders because of silly arguments on the internet about the nature of Buddhist concepts. If you think retraining orders are a good idea, apply to a court to have one applied to whatever bothers you on DW. Good luck!
I am not asking to have people censored i am asking to have people be restrained from harassing me.

Anyway you dont have to reply, if i want advice on offering incense i will come asking for your opinion.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

User avatar
budo
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:16 am
Location: The world

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by budo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:21 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:14 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:00 am

What is this talk about taking responsibility and a lack of maturity? I have no clue what it is you are referring to.
From the ToS:
At Dhamma Wheel, we respect your intellectual and spiritual autonomy. As such, the staff here will not enforce reverence to anyone or anything, nor censor speech gratuitously. In keeping with this respect for your autonomy, we expect you to be personally responsible for your own emotions and responses.
People are responsible for their reactions to what someone else posts. If someone posts something that I disagree with, or that I find objectionable, then I am responsible for how I deal with it. I don't ask for them to be censored.
People get restraining orders for a reason, usually this is because "ignoring them" does not work.


Sure. They get restraining orders because people are stalking, harassing, or menacing them in real life. I don't think they get restraining orders because of silly arguments on the internet about the nature of Buddhist concepts. If you think retraining orders are a good idea, apply to a court to have one applied to whatever bothers you on DW. Good luck!
I am not asking to have people censored i am asking to have people be restrained from harassing me.
Your train of thoughts reminds me of this clip

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:29 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 am

I am not asking to have people censored i am asking to have people be restrained from harassing me.
You were asking whether a person could be prevented by the moderators from posting in your threads or commenting on your posts. That's censorship.
Anyway you dont have to reply,
I think we have established now that you can't stop me!
if i want advice on offering incense i will come asking for your opinion.
You will be very welcome, and if I'm on equally good form, you will learn as much about devotional practices as you have about censorship.

User avatar
rightviewftw
Posts: 2217
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by rightviewftw » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:29 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:17 am

I am not asking to have people censored i am asking to have people be restrained from harassing me.
You were asking whether a person could be prevented by the moderators from posting in your threads or commenting on your posts. That's censorship.
Anyway you dont have to reply,
I think we have established now that you can't stop me!
if i want advice on offering incense i will come asking for your opinion.
You will be very welcome, and if I'm on equally good form, you will learn as much about devotional practices as you have about censorship.
You say censorship i say exclusion. Is there an overlap in meaning, yes but I am not interested in discussing it with you. You dont like what i suggest, that's fine, i don't really care. Just keep doing your thing and leave me the f*** alone.
How to meditate: Anapanasati, Satipatthana.
Intro to General Semantics
Factors & Perceptions

Parallel Dhammapada Reading
Chinese to Eng Dhp
"The statements; 'With the remainderless stopping & fading of the six contact-media is it the case that there is anything else?' '.. is it the case that there is not anything else .. is it the case that there both is & is not anything else .. is it the case that there neither is nor is not anything else?' objectify non-objectification. However far the six contact-media go, that is how far objectification goes."

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Faith and Doubt: Why are we quarreling lately?

Post by Sam Vara » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 am
You say censorship i say exclusion. Is there an overlap in meaning, yes but I am not interested in discussing it with you. You dont like what i suggest, that's fine, i don't really care. Just keep doing your thing and leave me the f*** alone.
You asked a question, evidently prompted by a comment I made. I replied. Note that it was not me who asked the question, but you.

If you don't care about my response, then that's good. The only "thing" I am doing here is answering your question. You are at liberty to ask other questions, or not. What you are not at liberty to do is to prevent others from commenting as they think fit.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests