Devotional Section in Patipatti section

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Wizard in the Forest

Devotional Section in Patipatti section

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

That is my suggestion.

There's very little discussion of devotional practice, and I think it's important. It's also something that Lay followers who are new to Dhamma practice might not know about or understand as much, and I think it would be incredibly valuable to add as its own section.
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
retrofuturist

Re: Devotional Section in Patipatti section

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Wizard,

What I'll do is move the Shrine Room from General Discussion into the Patipatti section.

You can then use it for that purpose.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Wizard in the Forest

Post by Wizard in the Forest »

Thanks Retro!
"One is not born a woman, but becomes one."- Simone de Beauvoir
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Maniltoa Lenticellata offering pink silk devotions to the Buddha. :heart:
Attachments
pink buddha 1.jpg
pink buddha 1.jpg (202.44 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Many Buddhists come from a place that they aren't interested in devotions. Some "Buddhist curious" people interested in learning about Buddhism, possibly going Buddhist, don't understand it and might be turned away from Buddhism by seeing devotions.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have an option to easily remove such a section from a person's feed, as was done with that "No News" group people opt in to enter.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings ieee23,

Personally I think it would be good for modern practitioners to acknowledge and even be appreciative of these traditional aspects of the Dhamma, even if they opt not to partake in them personally.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SDC

Post by SDC »

I understand your concern but I agree with Paul. A secular approach is easily managed on an personal basis. Obviously it can be discussed here, but I don't think we should have an option to emphasize it at the expense of devotional practices which have been associated with the Dhamma from day one.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3