Member Poll on "News, Current Events & Politics" at DW

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

In relation to "News, Current Events & Politics", I believe such discussion...

Should continue to be allowed at Dhamma Wheel, as is, because the Dhamma can influence how we see the world, and vice versa.
23%
Should go back to being in the Lounge, because having a dedicated section seems to give it too much prominence.
23%
Is fine in theory, but has become too difficult to manage in 2018, given people's attachment to views and widespread political polarization.
9%
Is fine in theory, but staff need to clamp down harder on serial offenders who cannot abide by the rules of that section.
3%
Is fine in theory, but staff unfairly oppress me and don't let me express my views.
3%
Should be prohibited at Dhamma Wheel altogether, because the topics and potential disputes tend to detract from the true purpose of the forum.
34%
Should be prohibited at Dhamma Wheel, altogether because worldly matters and religious matters should be kept separate.
3%
Is... (something else altogether, please explain below)
3%

Total votes: 35

Pseudobabble

Re: Member Poll on "News, Current Events & Politics" at DW

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:59 pm
binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 pmI think the actual problem is either a lack of (good) leadership, or the conviction that the Dhamma doesn't require or can do without (good) leadership.
Who are the leaders? I don't see the mods or admins doing a bad job at administrating.
It looks like nobody here really wants to be a leader.

Perhaps it's possible to make progress in the Dhamma even without (good) leadership.

But it doesn't seem to be possible to have a good forum atmosphere without good leadership.
Who the hell would want to be the leader? All the responsibility as David said, and you cannot avoid pissing people off. Sounds like a crap deal to me.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mr Man wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 pm Look at this post David. Look at the meme. This is from your admin. Do you think this kind of post helps? Does it set a good tone?
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=29216&start=540#p472905
It's in the News section, which we're discussing what role that will have in the near future.

An admin apparently supports the Republicans and Trump. Is that illegal?

I'm an admin, I didn't vote for Trump. What am I, chopped-liver? :tongue:
binocular

Post by binocular »

Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pmWho the hell would want to be the leader?
Those who really want to make a difference.
All the responsibility as David said, and you cannot avoid pissing people off. Sounds like a crap deal to me.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pmAn admin apparently supports the Republicans and Trump. Is that illegal?
It sets the tone for the forum.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 pm Those who really want to make a difference.
Ehh.. to what end?

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm
DNS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pmAn admin apparently supports the Republicans and Trump. Is that illegal?
There's something wrong with people who support Trump?

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

DNS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:03 pm
Lead with an iron-fist, people complain. Lead with laissez-faire, people complain. It's best to try and find the perfect middle; but no matter what there will always be people complaining, because there will always be people on the receiving end of moderator actions (or in-actions).
Indeed, this is an ancient practice, not one only of today: they blame those who remain silent, they blame those who speak much, they blame those who speak in moderation. There is none in the world who is not blamed.

... There never was, there never will be, nor is there now, a person who is wholly blamed or wholly praised.
Dhp, Kodhavagga.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm There's something wrong with people who support Trump?
"Deplorable", apparently.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm
binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:14 pm Those who really want to make a difference.
Ehh.. to what end?
See the OP.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm There's something wrong with people who support Trump?
"Deplorable", apparently.
I've always enjoyed the way that it is in judging others that we make clear what we ourselves are.

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

DNS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm
Mr Man wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:43 pm Look at this post David. Look at the meme. This is from your admin. Do you think this kind of post helps? Does it set a good tone?
It's in the News section, which we're discussing what role that will have in the near future.

It's fine that an admin supports the Republicans and Trump but in my opinion that kind of meme is not appropriate. The constant anti-leftist bashing from the admin is also in my opinion not appropriate. It surprizes me that you don't see that.

I would hope, and maybe it does happen, that other members of the admin team would communicate this as kalyana mita and out of love for this forum and the dhamma.

Or perhaps they don't see it.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:23 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:16 pm
Ehh.. to what end?
See the OP.
RIght, but see my point about people of different stripes meeting here. That's why there's conflict - because there's difference. We have rules for the constructive use of conflictual differences - things like 'play the man, not the ball', but people usually find it hard to follow them.

binocular

Post by binocular »

Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Then the Trumpistas shouldn't complain about the competitive and combative atmosphere at the forum.

If you support someone who is competitive and combative, and then you get a competitive and combative atmosphere, whose fault is that?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

Mr Man wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:25 pm
DNS wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:10 pm

It's fine that an admin supports the Republicans and Trump but in my opinion that kind of meme is not appropriate. The constant anti-leftist bashing from the admin is also in my opinion not appropriate. It surprizes me that you don't see that.

I would hope, and maybe it does happen, that other members of the admin team would communicate this as kalyana mita and out of love for this forum and the dhamma.

Or perhaps they don't see it.
Genuinely, what specifically is wrong with the meme? Is there something wrong with the Stalin meme I posted? Is the same thing wrong with both?

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

binocular wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:29 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:17 pm
Then the Trumpistas shouldn't complain about the competitive and combative atmosphere at the forum.

If you support someone who is competitive and combative, and then you get a competitive and combative atmosphere, whose fault is that?
Agreed. And I think competition and combat (if we take that a little more metaphorically than physical combat) can be constructive if used rightly. There's room for healthy debate and disagreement, no?