Member Poll on "News, Current Events & Politics" at DW

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.

In relation to "News, Current Events & Politics", I believe such discussion...

Should continue to be allowed at Dhamma Wheel, as is, because the Dhamma can influence how we see the world, and vice versa.
23%
Should go back to being in the Lounge, because having a dedicated section seems to give it too much prominence.
23%
Is fine in theory, but has become too difficult to manage in 2018, given people's attachment to views and widespread political polarization.
9%
Is fine in theory, but staff need to clamp down harder on serial offenders who cannot abide by the rules of that section.
3%
Is fine in theory, but staff unfairly oppress me and don't let me express my views.
3%
Should be prohibited at Dhamma Wheel altogether, because the topics and potential disputes tend to detract from the true purpose of the forum.
34%
Should be prohibited at Dhamma Wheel, altogether because worldly matters and religious matters should be kept separate.
3%
Is... (something else altogether, please explain below)
3%

Total votes: 35

retrofuturist

Member Poll on "News, Current Events & Politics" at DW

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings everyone,

I am keen to survey the Dhamma Wheel membership to get your thoughts on "News, Current Events & Politics" and their relationship to this forum.

We have always allowed discussion on such topics at Dhamma Wheel - initially in the Lounge, but we then later separated such topics out into their own section and provided an "opt out" mechanism for people who don't want to be exposed to such conversation here.

A couple of years on from the creation of the News section, I'm keen to get the membership's thoughts on the discussion of "News, Current Events & Politics" at Dhamma Wheel. Please vote and comment as you see fit.

Metta,
Paul.
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SarathW

Re: Member Poll on "News, Current Events & Politics" at DW

Post by SarathW »

I voted number one.
Presently 15% of the posts are news and current events.
Sometimes I think too much politics but I do not have to participate.
As Buddhist we have to learn to live with disturbances.
This is the only way I get news and I hope these are some important news.
By the way news of Royals does not interest me at all even though I like the song Royal.
I have listened to it few times and the whole week it disturb my meditation.
:D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

voted to remove, music thread is bad as well imo
Last edited by User1249x on Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
User1249x wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am voted to remove, music thread is bad as well
Is Topicless Friendly Banter bad too? (I ask because it's the most truly Loungey topic in the Lounge at the moment.)

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:52 am Greetings,
User1249x wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am voted to remove, music thread is bad as well
Is Topicless Friendly Banter bad too? (I ask because it's the most truly Loungey topic in the Lounge at the moment.)

Metta,
I think it is bad in that all these topics disrupt a meditation practice for one who practices and they distract people who are neglecting the practice from getting started with the practice by providing an alternative to the practice.

Some of these topics are also devisive and conducive to conflict, some more than others and if one was to draw a line for what is allowed i think Friendly Banter is a reasonable place to cut it off. Therefore as i see it Friendly Banter has some value in that it encourages friendly and getting along so it is alright.

The music thread is clearly negative value, it is is a venue to brag about breaking the precept and encourage others to break it, therefore it is just bad imo.

Topics encouraging breaking precepts
Topics that are dispruptive and a cause for conflict (especially if they are unrelated to the goal)
Topics that have no inherent value to a practitioner or community

these we can do without imo
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Early days, but with such a broad range of responses, it's definitely going to be hard to come up with a solution that will keep everyone happy!

Nonetheless, we'll do our best to find a solution that addresses the concerns as best we can.

In the meantime, do keep voting, and I'd love to hear from whoever selected the final option, and what their view is too.

Metta,
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

if there is a way to make news and politics along with lounge topics not show up in active topics it would keep it out of sight for me.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings.
User1249x wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:48 am if there is a way to make news and politics along with lounge topics not show up in active topics it would keep it out of sight for me.
Well, you can only stop them showing up in Active Topics if you don't have access to those sections.

You can do that for News, and self-serve instructions on how to do so are given in No News Is Good News (or "How to opt out of the News, Current Events & Politics section")

As for the Lounge, let me know if you actually want to be voluntarily locked out of the Lounge, and I can do that for you.

Metta,
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 am it's definitely going to be hard to come up with a solution that will keep everyone happy!
Don't worry about trying to keep everyone happy. Sometimes medicine tastes awful, and children must be forced to take it!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,
JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 am Don't worry about trying to keep everyone happy. Sometimes medicine tastes awful, and children must be forced to take it!
:lol:

Good point. We'll be aiming to do whatever seems best for the forum and membership at large... can't satisfy everyone.

Metta,
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

retrofuturist wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am Greetings.
User1249x wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:48 am if there is a way to make news and politics along with lounge topics not show up in active topics it would keep it out of sight for me.
Well, you can only stop them showing up in Active Topics if you don't have access to those sections.

You can do that for News, and self-serve instructions on how to do so are given in No News Is Good News (or "How to opt out of the News, Current Events & Politics section")

As for the Lounge, let me know if you actually want to be voluntarily locked out of the Lounge, and I can do that for you.

Metta,
That's a nice feature, i don't think i want to be out of Lounge completely because there are good threads as well.
When not meditating much i like reading News and Politics but i know it is bad for me so that i can opt out of for sure.
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

it should be allowed to remain if it is the only alternative to having political discussion all over the forum
however, not only should it be removed but warnings should be given out for any political or worldly discussion
there are so many places to get this kind of stuff, but the dhamma is unique
it would ultimately be better for learners and earnest practitioners if this were a forum for dhamma only, even holding right speech as a guideline
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Just a suggestion: Maybe make that section an "opt-in" subforum, which is hidden as a default.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings James,
JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:37 am Just a suggestion: Maybe make that section an "opt-in" subforum, which is hidden as a default.
I've seen that tried elsewhere, and the "opt in" rate is usually very low. Even moreso if you don't go to the effort to constantly promote it to members as an option.

In effect, it kills off discussion really quickly because there's so few potential contributors, and most of those who have opted in already know each other, and what they're likely to say.

If you wanted to kill off such discussion, that would be a very good way (albeit a pretty sly way) of doing it.

Metta,
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

If you wanted to kill off such discussion, that would be a very good way (albeit a pretty sly way) of doing it.

Metta,
sounds like a plan?
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught