Fair critique

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Upeksha

Fair critique

Post by Upeksha »

Sorry to start a new thread, but I have come up with one concrete notion out of the conversation we had over the last week (and which is now locked).

It is the notion of having some kind of standard for criticism of non-Theravada traditions or positions.

I personally like critique. I think it is fine and healthy for people to question things. And there should be nothing which is above and beyond criticism.

However, there is a difference between making a critique of something, and merely voicing dislike or displeasure at it. The former implies at least some attempt to understand the object of critique, some attempt to make a coherent argument about it and some attempt to ground that argument in meaningful evidence.

The latter is almost always grounded in a sentiment of aversion, and usually implies an attitude of hostility alongside a total unwillingness to genuinely engage with the object (being criticized).

I think this happens way too often here, and there is nothing wholesome or good about it unless one thinks that quantity of posts is more important than quality.

I doubt this will be adopted, but I think it should, if the quality of dialogue is to improve and the culture of DW is to shift from being antagonistic to mutually supportive.

I'm signing out for a year, so thanks to everyone for their contributions.

:anjali:
retrofuturist

Re: Fair critique

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Members are welcome to take onboard your suggestions, but they will not be enforced by means of authority.

See you in 2019.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."