Edit option disappearing

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
No_Mind

Edit option disappearing

Post by No_Mind »

Hi,

I just found I cannot correct typos or write an "Edit Add" to posts I wrote yesterday (about 12 hours ago). Edit option has disappeared on all posts except those written in past hour.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
bodom

Re: Edit option disappearing

Post by bodom »

Hi No Mind

The mod team realised that the previous time limit on editing had disappeared, so it was reinstated. You have one hour to edit.

After that you can request a change if it is something significant.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I do not see the upside in this change other than preventing someone from deleting a bunch of their own posts.

Now everything people type will be permanently stored unless edited within an hour because a US based forum is not under any legal obligation to delete the content.

Basicly admin gets full control over everything you write after 1 hour and you can not undo any of it whilst the admins can selectively edit and delete what you wrote as they see it fit.

I would update the ToS imo so people are aware of this.

It is also inconvenient not being able to edit because i have a thread that i like to edit as i get new material and now i can no longer do.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 am I do not see the upside in this change other than preventing someone from deleting a bunch of their own posts.

Now everything people type will be permanently stored unless edited within an hour because a US based forum is not under any legal obligation to delete the content.

Basicly admin gets full control over everything you write after 1 hour and you can not undo any of it whilst the admins can selectively edit and delete what you wrote as they see it fit.
Actually, "preventing someone from deleting a bunch of their own posts", or merely disrupting conversations by changing history, was the whole point of the change, which is actually a return to the way the forum used to work. I was the member who pointed out to the admin team that things used to be that way, and had that advantage. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I think the upside is greater than the downside.

As for the "permanent storage" bit, work your way through this - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ou-privacy - so that you know where the real loss of personal control is happening.
:rolleye:
User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 am I would update the ToS imo so people are aware of this.
Fair enough.
User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 am It is also inconvenient not being able to edit because i have a thread that i like to edit as i get new material and now i can no longer do.
Huh? You can add as many posts to your thread as you like, boom-boom-boom-boom...
And readers will know when the material was added, which is another advantage. :thumbsup:

It's all about honesty, taking responsibility, and transparency. Right Speech, in fact.

Kim
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:55 amI do not see the upside in this change other than preventing someone from deleting a bunch of their own posts.
I see a limited time window for editing as an incentive for being more conscientious when posting. I advocated for a 30 minute editing window.

So much more reason to be careful what one says.
Such is the nature of forum ownership ...
I would update the ToS imo so people are aware of this.
Agreed. It would help to add a (clarifying) clause like "All posts made on this forum are ownership of the forum owner" or something to that effect (they have such a clause at some other forums). It's a clause that states that once you post something, it becomes property of the forum owner (after the editing time has expired).
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Most people will not have any issue with the way forum works but for me not being able to have autonomy over my exposure has caused me a lot of stress. I was not made aware of permanent database type of regiment, this lack of autonomy and i would have thought a lot more about what i shared about myself and how i shared it. Now it is all in the public domain and frankly discourages me from pursuing ordination which is central part of my remaining life in this body. I do not think it is fair at all and i feel wronged a lot, by the consecutive bans and not having access to my content all of this worked together to f*** me over, a lot.
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:29 pm Most people will not have any issue with the way forum works but for me not being able to have autonomy over my exposure has caused me a lot of stress. I was not made aware of permanent database type of regiment, this lack of autonomy and i would have thought a lot more about what i shared about myself and how i shared it. Now it is all in the public domain and frankly discourages me from pursuing ordination which is central part of my remaining life in this body. I do not think it is fair at all and i feel wronged a lot, by the consecutive bans an not having access to my content all of this worked together to f*** me over.
Why would it discourage you from pursuing ordination?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

bodom wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:53 am Hi No Mind

The mod team realised that the previous time limit on editing had disappeared, so it was reinstated. You have one hour to edit.

After that you can request a change if it is something significant.

In a way giving a one hour limit is okay because Hiheyhello deleted his posts en masse and that destroys a thread.

Only problem is the OP or previous posts cannot have an Edit Add. Unlike most forums active participants here are from different time zones. This is a rare forum that is truly international

The most prolific participants are Sam (GMT +1), Binocular (+1), [name redacted by admin] (+1) me and Sarath (+5.5), Mr Saengnapha (+7), DooDoot (+8 to +10:30), David (-7/-8), SDC (-4/-5) Lucas (-3) and so on ..

If everyone logs in twice a day then sometimes there is a 5-9 hour gap between a post being written and it being read by a prolific contributor e.g. me writing something and Doot seeing it

If I write something at 8 PM, Doot is sleeping and any corrections or Edit Add that I have to make because Doot pointed out something is impossible for me next morning 8 AM if Edit has a 1 hour time limit .. in fact same happened between Chownah and me and that is why I noticed the Edit option has disappeared.

Last edited by No_Mind on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:34 pm Why would it discourage you from pursuing ordination?
Because i live a solitary life now and i am content with it. I would like to be a Bhikkhu and go on alms round but the way it is now, being a western Bhikkhu one will be somewhat of a public figure and the world is so small that people will find out that i was posting here and suddenly you have a whole database on a Bhikkhu's statements as a lay person. I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of but i think this might be a dealbreaker for me.

I do not think i can be a low profile Bhikkhu because of this basicly so lay state is probably how i will live out my life.
Last edited by User1249x on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pm
binocular wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:34 pm Why would it discourage you from pursuing ordination?
Because i live a solitary life now and i am content with it. I would like to be a Bhikkhu and go on alms round but the way it is now, being a western Bhikkhu one will be somewhat of a public figure and the world is so small that people will find out that i was posting here and suddenly you have a whole database on a Bhikkhu's statements as a lay person. I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of but i think this might be a dealbreaker for me.
And we also know what you look like :smile: and some people like me have an elephant's memory

Kidding .. go forth and ordain :heart:

But if you seek privacy you should not write in a forum. No forum will allow its members to delete the contents completely .. in any case you cannot delete your [name redacted by admin] contributions because I suppose it is locked .. is it not .. no one can have two ids at same time

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:42 pm
User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pm
And we also know what you look like :smile: and some people like me have an elephant's memory

Kidding .. go forth and ordain :heart:

the real problem is that people are not given a warning. i would have never been in this position had i been warned.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:47 pm
the real problem is that people are not given a warning. i would have never been in this position had i been warned.
Say your real name is Daniel Konow and you become Bhikkhu Tālaputa .. how are we going to know you are [name redacted by admin] or [name redacted by admin] unless you tell us?

How will people who meet you in real life know either ..

Did we know Bhante Lucky is JTG till he told us?

Last edited by No_Mind on Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pmBecause i live a solitary life now and i am content with it. I would like to be a Bhikkhu and go on alms round but the way it is now, being a western Bhikkhu one will be somewhat of a public figure and the world is so small that people will find out that i was posting here and suddenly you have a whole database on a Bhikkhu's statements as a lay person. I have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of but i think this might be a dealbreaker for me.
You would be facing this same type of problem even if you wouldn't post on the internet at all. A person's (old) reputation follows them around, in one way or another. Think of Angulimala. Or of people who become famous scholars in one religion, but then give it all up and convert to another religion. Your reputation problem is a minor one in comparison to what some others have faced and dealt with.

If anything, you now have a wonderful opportunity to produce a new history for yourself from now on. You can become so different from the way you used to be that people will have a hard time linking your past to your present. If you start now, and from now on, produce clean posts for say, three years, surely things will look vastly different.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

User1249x wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:40 pmI do not think i can be a low profile Bhikkhu because of this basicly so lay state is probably how i will live out my life.
What will make you a "low profile bhikkhu" is your practice, not your reputation.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:38 pmOnly problem is the OP or previous posts cannot have an Edit Add. Unlike most forums active participants here are from different time zones. This is a rare forum that is truly international

The most prolific participants are Sam (GMT +1), Binocular (+1), [name redacted by admin] (+1) me and Sarath (+5.5), Mr Saengnapha (+7), DooDoot (+8 to +10:30), David (-7/-8), SDC (-4/-5) Lucas (-3) and so on ..

If everyone logs in twice a day then sometimes there is a 5-9 hour gap between a post being written and it being read by a prolific contributor e.g. me writing something and Doot seeing it

If I write something at 8 PM, Doot is sleeping and any corrections or Edit Add that I have to make because Doot pointed out something is impossible for me next morning 8 AM if Edit has a 1 hour time limit .. in fact same happened between Chownah and me and that is why I noticed the Edit option has disappeared.
You know what all this means? That we have way too much time on our hands! Or are way too prone to distractions and escapism!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!