What qualifies as English language

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: What qualifies as English language

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 pmYes, I understand it OK, but I was wondering about why bhante was using it - whether it was something to do with anatta. My teacher once recommended that I spent some time avoiding the terms "I", "me", and "mine" in everyday speech, just to see whether changing one's speech does anything to one's sense of self. It's certainly a useful exercise in mindfulness - of sorts!
Bhante replied to your questions here -- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5842#p463907
Yes, I saw it, thanks.

(Now, about that translation service...)
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I speak German (2nd language) and English (native speaker) and I can't make heads or tails of what he is saying most of the time, nor do the grammatical/syntax errors seem typical of a German speaker. I don't believe that is the issue. My 2 cents. :broke:
binocular

Post by binocular »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm I can't make heads or tails of what he is saying most of the time
Could you give some specific examples?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:14 pmYes, I understand it OK, but I was wondering about why bhante was using it - whether it was something to do with anatta. My teacher once recommended that I spent some time avoiding the terms "I", "me", and "mine" in everyday speech, just to see whether changing one's speech does anything to one's sense of self. It's certainly a useful exercise in mindfulness - of sorts!
Yes, I saw it, thanks.

I'm having difficulty understanding him too. He frequently uses, "I" "me" "my person" and "Atma"
Samana Johann 1 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am And no, it's the opposite of usual Jain-approaches in "I am nothing, I do not exist"

Atma thought it's good to . . .

Atma prefers it to give ways to . . .
Jains don't say that do they? Jains believe in Atma, like the way Samana Johann 1 writes.

binocular, I can't decipher his explanation for that ever frequent "I, my person, Atma, etc." and need that translation service too. :tongue:
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

binocular wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:13 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm I can't make heads or tails of what he is saying most of the time
Could you give some specific examples?
Specific examples of things that don't make sense? :toilet:
Samana Johann 1

Post by Samana Johann 1 »

DNS wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:17 pm
Yes, I saw it, thanks.

I'm having difficulty understanding him too. He frequently uses, "I" "me" "my person" and "Atma"
Samana Johann 1 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:57 am And no, it's the opposite of usual Jain-approaches in "I am nothing, I do not exist"

Atma thought it's good to . . .

Atma prefers it to give ways to . . .
Jains don't say that do they? Jains believe in Atma, like the way Samana Johann 1 writes.

binocular, I can't decipher his explanation for that ever frequent "I, my person, Atma, etc." and need that translation service too. :tongue:
Theu mostly do not even know that they celebrate the Jains Uposatha actually and that they are thieves, but because making a sacrifice toward to understand, giving up pride, they could grasp their faults of the past drunken in "householder-equanimity:

Namo...
"And what is the Uposatha of the Jains? There are the contemplatives called the Niganthas (Jains). They get their disciple to undertake the following practice: 'Here, my good man. Lay down the rod with regard to beings who live more than 100 leagues to the east... more than 100 leagues to the west... more than 100 leagues to the north... more than 100 leagues to the south.' Thus they get the disciple to undertake kindness & sympathy to some beings, but not to others.

"On the Uposatha day, they get their disciple to undertake the following practice: 'Here, my good man. Having stripped off all your clothing, say this: "I am nothing by anything or of anything. Thus there is nothing by anything or of anything that is mine."' Yet in spite of that, his parents know of him that 'This is our child.' And he knows of them that 'These are my parents.' His wives & children know of him that 'This is our husband & father.' And he knows of them that 'These are my wives & children.' His workers & slaves know of him that 'This is our master.' And he knows of them that 'These are my workers & slaves.' Thus at a time when he should be persuaded to undertake truthfulness, he is persuaded to undertake falsehood. At the end of the night, he resumes the consumption of his belongings, even though they aren't given back to him. This counts as stealing, I tell you. Such is the Uposatha of the Jains, Visakha. When this Uposatha of the Jains is undertaken, it is not of great fruit or great benefit, not of great glory or great radiance.

http://zugangzureinsicht.org/html/tipit ... an_en.html
And if wishing to take part, hints are already given. Now let it be added, that it is very impolite not to approach a matter direct, and it's because such has not been done, clarification, out of compassion can possible hurt. There is a topic in the invitation section, where certain answers could be clearyfied, honestly and proper approached, rather to make a move forward winning favor by "we" approaches, Nyom David.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
Samana Johann 1

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm I speak German (2nd language) and English (native speaker) and I can't make heads or tails of what he is saying most of the time, nor do the grammatical/syntax errors seem typical of a German speaker. I don't believe that is the issue. My 2 cents. :broke:
Yes, that is not the issue. Now think that there are even uneducated farmer in SEAsia, will most simply say, either skilled or unskilled "I can not understand him", who are capable to gain independency, path and fruit. Why? Because they carry the seed for it in their hard, or give right in the moment, by giving up, the condition, Nyom. It's always Respect, Confidence and Patient that opens the door to Dhamma, even if hearing the right words from a fool. It's deep, but onece seen, there is no more doubt.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
Samana Johann 1

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm Done. Wonderful. I didn't know about that feature. Now I will be spared the temptation of replying snarkily.
You will look anyway. Because ignoring and forgiving are two thing. This might help to understand, in the meditation section: Verdrängen ist nicht Verzeihen

Only one how sacrifies of what is not his could understand the meaning beyond word.

Tell if anything was not right, my person told.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am Greetings,
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am I'm sympathetic, but can foresee a problem with that approach. Who is to judge what counts as comprehensible English?
So part of me is inclined to allow people to post whatever they want, on the grounds that others can simply ignore it if it makes no sense.
Indeed. In keeping with this board's respect for others' intellectual autonomy, I'd rather leave it to the individual to deem what they regard as "comprehensible" or "incomprehensible".

If someone cannot be comprehended, then by all means mark them as a "foe" in the system, and what was perceived as gibberish and gobbledygook will no longer appear.

If someone finds value in that persons words, they can continue to receive them.

Metta,
Paul. :)
:goodpost:
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
binocular

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:55 pm
binocular wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 pm Bhante replied to your questions here -- viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5842#p463907
Binocular suggests to read the above link again.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!