What qualifies as English language

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
pilgrim

What qualifies as English language

Post by pilgrim »

I note the Terms of Service states that posts must be in English but this is pointless if posts use English words but are generally incomprehensible. Should the terms be amended to "comprehensible English?"
Samana Johann 1

Re: What qualifies as English language

Post by Samana Johann 1 »

What if trying to make merits in giving, or at leaste practice minfulness when defilments may arise and suggest: "let try to kill or take justified" Keys for all ways to act benefical or for loose are given and just a matter of will, Pilgrim. It's also good to be simply honest.

Did you ever investigate the reason why people are after split? That's vipassana.

Claiming and trying to justify uncomfortable deeds is only "normal".
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Your posts prompted my suggestion but is not directed at you specifically. Posts that are incomprehensible generally does not benefit anyone; neither the writer or reader. At the moment it is not a problem but what if every other post s incomprehensible? It is time consuming and discourages visits to DW. On your part, it would be helpful if you could give more thought in constructing your posts clearly.

Or post in the non-English section which is provided for such purposes.
Samana Johann 1

Again, Pilgrim, what if taking such as oppotunity rather to demand in two directions?

Probably useful generally Better to Give than to Consume

All Pilgrim gave here is others the chance to serve his defilements and fall more into debt. Those who come on "who ever will serve my desires, I will be loyal to"-call will always appear. Something to think deeply about.
It's not clear if the possibility to take on form here is given, so also this post might be made on merely uncomfortable trust. Please don't be shy to make remark as well as to do what ever with the post you might be inspired to. Key is found here. May it be, how ever, understood as Dhamma-Dana toward the Sangha of Buddhas Savakas and those following them and not thought for any kind of trade or exchange for low purpose for the world. Feel also always welcome here.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I also suggest such incomprehensible posts be deleted. It'd save a lot of time for everyone who is rescued from trying to read and understand them.
Samana Johann 1

Off-topic (for practice purpose 'meditation'): May my person ask (be allowed to suggest) Nyom James if he could possible reconstruct the mind state that gave intention for the post and if wishing to be generous to possible try to make a reflection in a share? Maybe a new topic "Meditating via gaining right view" might be good, to possible answer another question not off-the-topic there.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 am I also suggest such incomprehensible posts be deleted. It'd save a lot of time for everyone who is rescued from trying to read and understand them.

I'm sympathetic, but can foresee a problem with that approach. Who is to judge what counts as comprehensible English? This being the internet, many posts are just poorly written due to haste, lack of reasoning skills, and English not being the poster's first language. With time and a bit of good will, many of these make sense. The problem is that the ability to comprehend is also variable; do we risk deleting a post from someone who is struggling to make a genuine point just because I can't be bothered to make the effort to understand?

So part of me is inclined to allow people to post whatever they want, on the grounds that others can simply ignore it if it makes no sense.

On the other hand, yes, some posts appear to have been nonsense to start with, and then been put through Google Translate several times over. So it's a good suggestion, and I'd be interested to hear more contributions on this.

Edit Update: Two points regarding Samana Johann 1's posts.

1) Bhante, it would be great if you could not use white font. It's just too hard to read.
2) Out of interest, could you explain why you refer to the yourself as "My person"? Is this making some kind of point about anatta, or do you think this is a common way of expressing the first person singular in English? The convention is "I" or "me". So many people have taken issue with this sort of writing that the idiosyncracy has now become the message.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 am I'm sympathetic, but can foresee a problem with that approach. Who is to judge what counts as comprehensible English?
So part of me is inclined to allow people to post whatever they want, on the grounds that others can simply ignore it if it makes no sense.
Indeed. In keeping with this board's respect for others' intellectual autonomy, I'd rather leave it to the individual to deem what they regard as "comprehensible" or "incomprehensible".

If someone cannot be comprehended, then by all means mark them as a "foe" in the system, and what was perceived as gibberish and gobbledygook will no longer appear.

If someone finds value in that persons words, they can continue to receive them.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

retrofuturist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am If someone cannot be comprehended, then by all means mark them as a "foe" in the system, and what was perceived as gibberish and gobbledygook will no longer appear.
Just a heads-up to everyone - If you mark someone as "foe," their posts are only blocked if you are logged in when you access DW. If you aren't logged in, the posts still appear.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Justsit wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:54 pm
retrofuturist wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 am If someone cannot be comprehended, then by all means mark them as a "foe" in the system, and what was perceived as gibberish and gobbledygook will no longer appear.
Just a heads-up to everyone - If you mark someone as "foe," their posts are only blocked if you are logged in when you access DW. If you aren't logged in, the posts still appear.
And .. if you mark someone foe then they never know and can go on quoting and commenting on your posts. Sort of misses the point of marking someone "foe"

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Done. Wonderful. I didn't know about that feature. Now I will be spared the temptation of replying snarkily.
auto

Post by auto »

pilgrim wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 am I note the Terms of Service states that posts must be in English but this is pointless if posts use English words but are generally incomprehensible. Should the terms be amended to "comprehensible English?"
Not likely you listen how the music sounds, do you?
binocular

Post by binocular »

pilgrim wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 amI note the Terms of Service states that posts must be in English but this is pointless if posts use English words but are generally incomprehensible. Should the terms be amended to "comprehensible English?"
Welsh English is English, for example.

Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream. Suppose that ah ken aw the pros and cons, know that ah'm gaunnae huv a short life, am ah sound mind, ectetera, ectetera, but still want tae use smack? They won't let ye dae it. They won't let ye dae it, because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure. The fact that ye jist simply choose tae reject whut they huv tae offer.

And that's still nicely understandable. Surely a native speaker of English can come up with an English that is less comphrehensible than that. But is still English.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:08 amEdit Update: Two points regarding Samana Johann 1's posts.
I, for one, don't have a problem with comprehending what he says.
Granted, his German native language shows through sometimes, and I suppose that for someone who doesn't speak German, that can make his English hard to understand. But one can still take it as an expercise in linguistic flexibility -- and how often does one have the chance to do that?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:27 pm
Welsh English is English, for example.

Society invents a spurious convoluted logic tae absorb and change people whae's behaviour is outside its mainstream. Suppose that ah ken aw the pros and cons, know that ah'm gaunnae huv a short life, am ah sound mind, ectetera, ectetera, but still want tae use smack? They won't let ye dae it. They won't let ye dae it, because it's seen as a sign ay thir ain failure. The fact that ye jist simply choose tae reject whut they huv tae offer.
That's not "Welsh English". The writer's name is (confusingly) Irvine Welsh, but that's his rendering of lowland Scots dialect. Welsh dialect is far less distinctive as a variation of English.