ban heretics

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
binocular

Re: ban heretics

Post by binocular »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am Noone expects the Spanish Inquisition
Aww, you beat me to it!
:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 ambut the other individual this is about i think identifies
You think? You don't actually know what their religious identity is?
as a buddhist as well as a hindu but tends to leave that latter part out even tho they hold what are explicitly wrong views from the point of the suttas
it's very deceitful. if we could put a big bright "HINDU" tag on all their posts that would help
For someone who keeps going on and on about the drawbacks of identity view, you yourself practice identity view to the extreme -- when it comes to other people. Like you did just above.

Here's an exercise in discernment for you:
"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior but pure in their verbal behavior.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their verbal behavior but pure in their bodily behavior.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior & verbal behavior, but who periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior & verbal behavior, and who do not periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

"There is the case where some people are pure in their bodily behavior & their verbal behavior, and who periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:57 ami just don't want people learning about buddhism for the first time to be misled

actually that's my primary concern with this whole forum
Thank you for your concern, but people, even newcomers, aren't actually that weak and helpless so as to be unable to handle some disagreements or misinformation. They will have to learn how to learn on their own anyway.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I suggest the Dhamma Police ban everyone ....

....and then start a knitting forum. Here are some uplifting and timely examples :

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I don't think you realise how annoying knitting can be, Aloka. In many University they banned knitting in lectures last century, because it disturbed the other students...

:heart:
Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

And no one wants to ban me in the mean time :weep: :weep:

Pay attention to me .. this post is about the heretic-in-chief not dylanj .. please ban me on the grounds dylanj has raised

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

The Hairy Tick
Of all the critters men have cursed,
The hateful hairy tick is worst.
His charm conceals a crudest quest
To snag you in his noxious nest.

Beware his lure! Don’t cross that line!
His bite will blight your nimble mind!
Once fooled, your failed defense will flee:
You’ll be as false and foul as he.

You’ll kiss your intellect goodbye.
You’ll sprout a vile, predacious eye
To watch for weaker wits than you
And crush them in your quagmire, too.

But if you fear the hairy tick,
Don’t fall for his most scary trick:
The more you crucify this crook,
The more like him you’ll start to look!
Ed Morris, 2012
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Aloka wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:02 am .

I suggest the Dhamma Police ban everyone ....

....and then start a knitting forum. Here are some uplifting and timely examples :

Lmao

binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:27 am And no one wants to ban me in the mean time :weep: :weep:

Pay attention to me .. this post is about the heretic-in-chief not dylanj .. please ban me on the grounds dylanj has raised
That's hilarious, the way you slapped yourself with the tag "Hindu"!
:jumping:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

sometimes I worry about knowing several doctrines if this is good or bad ... and I try to follow the middle path.

wanted to enjoy and ask to have compassion for this smile :namaste:

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 am

BTW what on earth is taqqiya

It's an arabic word-muslim concept-that denotes concealing one's religious affiliation while under persecution

Taqiya
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Fruitzilla

Post by Fruitzilla »

aflatun wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:02 pm

It's an arabic word-muslim concept-that denotes concealing one's religious affiliation while under persecution

Taqiya
It's used a bit differently by the so called "alt-right". They make it to mean Muslims can lie to non-believers about anything, in order to defeat them ( to bring about the Califate and other nonsene ). My guess is dylan used it in this way.
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

Fruitzilla wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:36 pm
aflatun wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Taqiya

It's used a bit differently by the so called "alt-right". They make it to mean Muslims can lie to non-believers about anything, in order to defeat them ( to bring about the Califate and other nonsene ). My guess is dylan used it in this way.
Ah thanks for the clarification! I don’t engage in politics so apologies for the ignorance
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
SDC

Post by SDC »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:57 am i just don't want people learning about buddhism for the first time to be misled

actually that's my primary concern with this whole forum
Believe me, Dylan, I hear you on this, but after a few years of watching people claw at each over not misleading newcomers, it seemed to result in more animosity than anything else, and even worse, no consensus on how to treat those new to Buddhism. In the end, it really comes down to the individual's commitment and their capacity to not settle on approaches that do not bear fruit. Encourage them to be honest and authentic and strive for that commitment rather than just declaring what you think is right and demand they believe you. You can't do the work of learning for them, but you help put them in the best position for it.

And if you see someone settle into an approach that you are 100% sure is wrong and they don't want to hear otherwise than the fault is on them for falling into such ignorance and refusing to listen. And if other people want to follow them blindly than they lack the determination as well. But don't forget, there may come a time when they are ready to listen and slamming a door in their face previously sure won't get them to that point any sooner. Maybe for a select few, but not all.

What is most important is that the best approaches to the Dhamma stay relevant and visible. And one of the more destructive things that can be done is to make such approaches overwhelmingly mandatory. While there is only one "right view", getting people to find the one path to it will inevitably involve some degree of finesse either on their own part or from others. Straight up: strong arming does not appeal to most learners, and while your own assurance may work well for you in some more serious part of the path, it probably means nothing to a newcomer who is still in the decision phase.

Do you want people to listen to you? Are you sure your right? Then show them strength, stability, wisdom and compassion - not frustration. If it is truly about being a leader then remember that you have to nurture the listener not just smother them in commands. So unless you just want to target those very select few that respond to abrasiveness, get ready for the majority of those newcomers to turn their backs on you, making it difficult for them to be your "primary concern with this whole forum". I've seen it way too many times before and that is why I'm putting this out there. Do with it what you will.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Breaking news: Published on Mar 17, 2018

Scientists Find Link Between Brain Damage And Religious Fundamentalism

There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

When people come to buddhism, there might still be attachment to previous held views before that. For some, the process of conversion is fast: they use critical thinking on both views, analyse which one is correct and which one is wrong and then are done with it. But for some it takes a period of being both christian/hindu/materialist and both buddhist. The true dhamma always rises to the surface in a debate. Therefore, the more time they spend here, the better. Though staying here, they are exposed to different arguments, slowly get more informed and eventually decide what view is correct and what view is wrong. Therefore, Its great to have non-buddhist here. Let's not forget buddhism is a convert-religion in the west and spreading the dhamma can only be done through such a way. Sure, the downside of that is seeing topics with 9 out of 10 post being pro some non-buddhist view, but there is nothing one can do about it.

And besides, the problem on this forum are not non-buddhist but followers of existentialist buddhism. Existentialist buddhism is a very small sect, basically non-existend in the buddhist landscape. Nobody except B.Bodhi as even bothered responding to them so far. Yet, on this forum 3 out of 7 moderators belong to this small group and novice members are drawn to this too because of them. New members always respect colored nicknames and such a phenomenon has happened before when "meditation center buddhism" used to be the dominant sect to which mods belonged to. Take a look at this forum and the other forum (STC) to see how many of the members follow this super small sect in order to check weather what I've posted here is correct or wrong.

Add to this the subtle censorship regarding criticism of this view. For example one is not allowed to call this philosophy "solipsistic" otherwise it will be considered a break of the toss under the infamous "disparraging other traditions" rule. For example I have been banned before, my topics have been closed and at this moment my posts need aproval in order to appear, despite not writing anything critical to this view in months. There has been no date given for the removal of this moderator supervision of posts.