ban heretics

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
No_Mind

Re: ban heretics

Post by No_Mind »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:51 am it's about someone else too. anyway i calmed down & changed my mind & don't think you should be banned but i glad you admitted all this publicly
Let me make it crystal clear to you .. I am not sharing my fame with anyone .. I am the heretic-in-chief

BTW what on earth is taqqiya

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

pilgrim wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:53 pm In a Theravada group, heretics would necessarily include those who question the authenticity and authority of the Abhidhamma and the Commentaries. :stirthepot:
heh touche
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 am I am concerned still that No_Mind was not upfront about not being a Buddhist but I guess now he has been so he's probably not intentionally doing hindu taqqiya

but the other individual this is about i think identifies as a buddhist as well as a hindu but tends to leave that latter part out even tho they hold what are explicitly wrong views from the point of the suttas

it's very deceitful. if we could put a big bright "HINDU" tag on all their posts that would help
i just don't want people learning about buddhism for the first time to be misled

actually that's my primary concern with this whole forum

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 am I am concerned still that No_Mind was not upfront about not being a Buddhist but I guess now he has been so he's probably not intentionally doing hindu taqqiya
I have always been totally upfront about being Buddhist_Lite .. someone trying to follow a syncretic belief system and calls himself Hin-Budd in this forum and real life .. does not believe much in liturgy of either and has decided to take .. say at least 15 years to decide since Right View is the last NP to be developed

At the moment concentrating on sammā sankappa, sammā-vāyāma, sammā-samādhi

That is my to do list till 2028.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:05 am
I have always been totally upfront about being Buddhist_Lite .. someone trying to follow a syncretic belief system and calls himself Hin-Budd in this forum and real life .. does not believe much in liturgy of either and has decided to take .. say at least 15 years to decide since Right View is the last NP to be developed

At the moment concentrating on sammā sankappa, sammā-vāyāma, sammā-samādhi

That is my to do list till 2028.

ok, i just didn't get the memo so that's not your fault i guess

right view is the start of the path. you can't do the rest without it

"In a person of wrong view, wrong resolve comes into being. In a person of wrong resolve, wrong speech. In a person of wrong speech, wrong action. In a person of wrong action, wrong livelihood. In a person of wrong livelihood, wrong effort. In a person of wrong effort, wrong mindfulness. In a person of wrong mindfulness, wrong concentration. In a person of wrong concentration, wrong knowledge. In a person of wrong knowledge, wrong release.

"This is how from wrongness comes failure, not success."

— AN 10.103
if the aim is wrong you will miss the target

i know you might not take me so seriously but i really encourage you to heavily read the suttas & give the buddha the benefit of the doubt on his claim that teachers outside his following are not possessed of true wisdom

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 am if the aim is wrong you will miss the target

i know you might not take me so seriously but i really encourage you to heavily read the suttas & give the buddha the benefit of the doubt on his claim that teachers outside his following are not possessed of true wisdom
Oh I missed one thing .. I doubt if Buddha actually existed as a single historical person .. I believe there was a lineage of teachers who developed the philosophy (like Jain Tirthankars) and are collectively called the Buddha .. Gautama was the last teacher of that lineage ..

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 am
Um... I seem to remember that if someone has right view, they're enlightened. You don't view rightly until you've attained some level of enlightenment. If I rmember correctly. I could be wrong.
Last edited by JamesTheGiant on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:29 am
dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:07 am

Um... I seem to remember that if someone has right view, they're enlightened. You don't view rightly until you've attained some level of enlightenment. If I rmember correctly. I could be wrong.
see mahācattārisaka sutta.

there is a normal right view & then a transcendent right view that makes the rest of the path instantly complete & yields the path-moment followed by fruition-moment

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:30 am see mahācattārisaka sutta.

there is a normal right view & then a transcendent right view that makes the rest of the path instantly complete & yields the path-moment followed by fruition-moment
Ah, thanks. I'll have a look. :anjali:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dinsdale wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am Noone expects the Spanish Inquisition
Aww, you beat me to it!
:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:55 ambut the other individual this is about i think identifies
You think? You don't actually know what their religious identity is?
as a buddhist as well as a hindu but tends to leave that latter part out even tho they hold what are explicitly wrong views from the point of the suttas
it's very deceitful. if we could put a big bright "HINDU" tag on all their posts that would help
For someone who keeps going on and on about the drawbacks of identity view, you yourself practice identity view to the extreme -- when it comes to other people. Like you did just above.

Here's an exercise in discernment for you:
"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior but pure in their verbal behavior.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their verbal behavior but pure in their bodily behavior.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior & verbal behavior, but who periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

"There is the case where some people are impure in their bodily behavior & verbal behavior, and who do not periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

"There is the case where some people are pure in their bodily behavior & their verbal behavior, and who periodically experience mental clarity & calm.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
dylanj wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:57 ami just don't want people learning about buddhism for the first time to be misled

actually that's my primary concern with this whole forum
Thank you for your concern, but people, even newcomers, aren't actually that weak and helpless so as to be unable to handle some disagreements or misinformation. They will have to learn how to learn on their own anyway.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I suggest the Dhamma Police ban everyone ....

....and then start a knitting forum. Here are some uplifting and timely examples :

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I don't think you realise how annoying knitting can be, Aloka. In many University they banned knitting in lectures last century, because it disturbed the other students...

:heart:
Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

And no one wants to ban me in the mean time :weep: :weep:

Pay attention to me .. this post is about the heretic-in-chief not dylanj .. please ban me on the grounds dylanj has raised