Subsection for sutta and concept explanation

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
No_Mind

Subsection for sutta and concept explanation

Post by No_Mind »

I have long had problem understanding Kalaka Sutta: At Kalaka's Park https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Few of the suttas I have read come under the "very hard to understand" category. I suggest there be a sub-section where the OP can say .. I do not understand ____ (question has to be framed simply and OP cannot say I know this and I do not know that and this is what Ven X has said and that is what Ven Y has said)

And others write and explain to him/her the meaning without squabbling among themselves (make this sub-section of the forum tightly moderated with no room for intellectual elbow throwing, trolling and other mischief many of us commit)

It would speed up understanding suttas.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Subsection for sutta and concept explanation

Post by Sam Vara »

Hi No_Mind

One idea would be to make it a "one shot" thread, where each contributor gives their interpretation or answer once, and then has to remain silent. That would focus the mind to frame the best possible answer as one sees it, and would also prevent arguments along the lines of "How can you believe that rubbish...!" Of course, lots of good comes from discussion, but that would be a way of eliminating the less useful aspects of argumentation.

Thanks for the sutta, by the way. A new one for me, and very interesting.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi No Mind,

See: A guide on how to get the most out of your new topics

If you give clear parameters for what you want in a thread, then the Moderators can help you keep it on track.
For this to be possible takes more work than just posting:
I want to know what sutta Y means.
If you start with something like:
I am having difficulty understanding passage X in sutta Y. I have read the Commentarial explanation, but I would like to have some clarification based purely on EBT sources.
An introduction like that will make it much clearer to Members and Moderators what exactly you want.

I would also add that to make such threads work you also have to be willing to take on board the analyses of other Members. Don't make it look as if you asked a question simply so that you could argue with the replies! That just looks like trolling, and many Members will quickly lose interest.

:heart:
Mike
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

I support this for better quality posts but i will use this thread to again ask for Sub Forums moderated according to;
AN 3.67 PTS: A i 197
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics for Discussion
AN 10.69 PTS: A v 128
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics of Conversation (1)
AN 10.70 PTS: A v 129
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics of Conversation (2)
I bet it will be awesome...
disagrements can be settled in a vote easily and it is good training. Would effectively accomplish what OP wants as well.
Call it "Right Speech Training Sub-Forum" or however you see fit.
Also would be good if people were encouraged to make it clear beforehand if mixing buddhist and non buddhist terminology when expressing themselves in english
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:46 pmI have long had problem understanding Kalaka Sutta: At Kalaka's Park https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html... It would speed up understanding suttas.
It seems, since the Kalaka Sutta is an obscure sutta, trying to understand the Kalaka Sutta won't help in understanding the [other] suttas. Instead, it is understanding the other suttas that probably should be used to help understand the Kalaka Sutta.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm Hi No_Mind

One idea would be to make it a "one shot" thread, where each contributor gives their interpretation or answer once, and then has to remain silent. That would focus the mind to frame the best possible answer as one sees it, and would also prevent arguments along the lines of "How can you believe that rubbish...!" Of course, lots of good comes from discussion, but that would be a way of eliminating the less useful aspects of argumentation.
A "one shot" thread as you put it is what I had in mind. Everyone can edit and add to or subtract from their own post but not challenge each other.

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm Hi No_Mind

A "one shot" thread as you put it is what I had in mind. Everyone can edit and add to or subtract from their own post but not challenge each other.

it is good idea as it shows if people change their position too
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

User1249x wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:16 pm I support this for better quality posts but i will use this thread to again ask for Sub Forums moderated according to;
AN 3.67 PTS: A i 197
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics for Discussion
AN 10.69 PTS: A v 128
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics of Conversation (1)
AN 10.70 PTS: A v 129
Kathavatthu Sutta: Topics of Conversation (2)
feedback on this? I need it to restrict my posting, id go as far as saying that. It is far better than whatever is being used for guideline atm.
Frankly i will far more respect those rules and hardly know any of the current guidelines, i looked into ToS, it is very liberal which is good for beginners.
For people who want to train a bit more seriously and engage in a more structured discussion leading to the Goal of the Buddhism, avoiding quarrels, there should be a place to do it. Also i would not edit my posts all the time if we had such a sub, in general i would be contained by authority imposing the rules.

id try it and it will either be very small group posting there or it will be popular and then can be applied to other sections.