Why are threats of kammic retribution against ToS?

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
binocular

Why are threats of kammic retribution against ToS?

Post by binocular »

Greetings.

The ToS state
2. Speech

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended to cause disruption or harm may be removed without notice. This includes, but is not restricted to:
/.../
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2
How come "predictions or threats of kammic retribution" are against the ToS? What are the grounds for that?

(I didn't know where else to post this.)

Thank you.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SarathW

Re: Why are threats of kammic retribution against ToS?

Post by SarathW »

How come "predictions or threats of kammic retribution" are against the ToS?
Because only Buddha knows how the Kamma operates! :sage:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 am Greetings.

The ToS state
2. Speech

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended to cause disruption or harm may be removed without notice. This includes, but is not restricted to:
/.../
d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2
How come "predictions or threats of kammic retribution" are against the ToS? What are the grounds for that?

(I didn't know where else to post this.)

Thank you.
I didn't have any part in writing the ToS, but I can tell you why I think this bit of them is a good idea.

1) Because, as SarathW points out, anyone who claims to know what kammic retribution awaits someone is almost certainly talking about something they cannot know; which is of course fine, but

2) When people have reached the state of predicting or threatening kammic consequences, it is usually because the discussion has irremediably broken down in the most personal way. It's for the same reason that psychoanalysing other posters is also not allowed. Are these things normally done with the intention of furthering useful discussion, or as a means to criticise someone from a position of assumed superior knowledge?

That's not to say, of course, that kammic consequences cannot be discussed in the correct context, and I would hope that sensitive moderation would take that into consideration.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Because it would be a personal attack, focusing on the person rather than the issues. It would be like telling someone they are going to go to hell, rather than discussing the issue. Or calling someone a demon or the devil or Mara; just name calling, instead of discussing the issues.