Diversity among mods

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
Kim OHara

Re: Diversity among mods

Post by Kim OHara »

:thanks:
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am maybe DW needs some diversity
This is a scary trigger word for many people: diversity.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

What's scary is we have a Buddhist forum, which traditionally in the West has been supported by liberal patrons, where most of the moderation decisions are made by conservatives, some very much so, that's not just political, its also goes into the interpretations of Buddhist Philosophy, and as a long time Buddhist I would have to say the the Buddhism espoused mostly on this forum is quite on the conservative side, sutta thumping, I call it. At my temple we were taught basics, and many of the ideas central to my teaching, such as reincarnation, can't even be discussed positively on this forum, because the conservative members want to tell us its only their way. I think in the future perhaps coming across as conservative should not be seen as a prerequisite for moderating. I would love for some simple Asian Buddhist monks to be involved, and their ideas not ridiculed as seems to be the norm. just saying IMHO
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

If diversity were an unqualified good, then it's addition would improve every circumstance characterised by it's absence.

If that were the case, then a diverse gang of murderers would somehow be 'better' than a homogeneous gang, by virtue of being 'diverse'. Which is obviously bollocks.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Well an exclusively white? Western group of Buddhists could greatly learn from the majority of Therevada Buddhists who are overwhelmingly brown and Asian, if that is what you call diversity, I'm all for it!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Lyndon,
Well an exclusively white? Western group of Buddhists could greatly learn from the majority of Therevada Buddhists who are overwhelmingly brown and Asian
Out of interest... do you recognise any of the following people?

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

not members of this forum????

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

This forum has strong connections to original Asian teachers, but almost exclusively the Forest tradition which is just one of many many Asian and South East Asian traditions, its almost like the Buddhist version Of Mormonism or Jehovah' Witnesses for Christianity.

binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:44 amThis forum has strong connections to original Asian teachers, but almost exclusively the Forest tradition which is just one of many many Asian and South East Asian traditions, its almost like the Buddhist version Of Mormonism or Jehovah' Witnesses for Christianity.
All the others are welcome to join!
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 amI would love for some simple Asian Buddhist monks to be involved, and their ideas not ridiculed as seems to be the norm.
It could be that it's precisely because they are "simple" that they don't get involved with complex environments such as this one.
Nobody's fault.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:45 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am maybe DW needs some diversity
This is a scary trigger word for many people: diversity.
How so?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

binocular wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 am
lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 amI would love for some simple Asian Buddhist monks to be involved, and their ideas not ridiculed as seems to be the norm.
It could be that it's precisely because they are "simple" that they don't get involved with complex environments such as this one.
Nobody's fault.
Its sad that you see it that way, and reflects how some people are not made welcome, the Dhamma at its heart is quite simple

SDC

Post by SDC »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 am What's scary is we have a Buddhist forum, which traditionally in the West has been supported by liberal patrons, where most of the moderation decisions are made by conservatives, some very much so, that's not just political, its also goes into the interpretations of Buddhist Philosophy, and as a long time Buddhist I would have to say the the Buddhism espoused mostly on this forum is quite on the conservative side, sutta thumping, I call it. At my temple we were taught basics, and many of the ideas central to my teaching, such as reincarnation, can't even be discussed positively on this forum, because the conservative members want to tell us its only their way. I think in the future perhaps coming across as conservative should not be seen as a prerequisite for moderating. I would love for some simple Asian Buddhist monks to be involved, and their ideas not ridiculed as seems to be the norm. just saying IMHO
If you have something to pass on from your Cambodian teachers and would love for their ideas to be here, then step up to the plate and present them. Once upon a time you posted about some of the above and some people disagreed with your interpretation. That is all that happened. I remember the thread. That is just what happens when you have so many different points of view, and it has happened to so many others including myself on multiple occasions. When has Ven. Nanavira ever been spoken about positively on DW? Doesn't mean you have to pack up and quit posting about Dhamma and then blame others for not having a suitable environment. Quite simply, Lyndon, if you have some conviction and confidence, people will heed your words. If you make everything a political or historical Buddhist scandal, it is just more of the same, and you do nothing but sabotage the legitimacy of the ideas you are putting forth. If you want to see more of your sort of Buddhism, then give us more of your sort of Buddhism. Try flicking the chip off your shoulder while your at it and you may find that there are many who want to listen to what you have to say.

Or just keep hovering around political talk and calling out meat eaters. Whatever floats your boat.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 am While I welcome that Sam is the new moderator .. maybe DW needs some diversity in its 9th year .. an Asian mod (Sarath possibly .. he almost lives here .. might as well mod while he is here) .. maybe a female mod (unless there already is one .. I do not think so ..) .. a black mod maybe (unless there already is one)
I think the personality of the mod matters far more than the color of their skin or their genitals.
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:48 am What's scary is we have a Buddhist forum, which traditionally in the West has been supported by liberal patrons, where most of the moderation decisions are made by conservatives, some very much so, that's not just political, its also goes into the interpretations of Buddhist Philosophy, and as a long time Buddhist I would have to say the the Buddhism espoused mostly on this forum is quite on the conservative side, sutta thumping, I call it. At my temple we were taught basics, and many of the ideas central to my teaching, such as reincarnation, can't even be discussed positively on this forum, because the conservative members want to tell us its only their way. I think in the future perhaps coming across as conservative should not be seen as a prerequisite for moderating. I would love for some simple Asian Buddhist monks to be involved, and their ideas not ridiculed as seems to be the norm. just saying IMHO
Belaja armija, chiornyj baron
Snova gotoviat nam Tsarskij tron

:mrgreen: