Diversity among mods

Tell us how you think the forum can be improved. We will listen.
SarathW

Re: Diversity among mods

Post by SarathW »

Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am Hi SarathW
SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am The request for diversity and representation (women etc.) is a damaging trend.
This is a sign that we are living in morally bankrupt society.
Why do you say this SarathW?
SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am The discussion about women are heavily censored and people are frightened to make their opinion.
I guess we must tread carfully here as we need to remain within the Terms of Service of Dhamma Wheel (Badmouthing Buddhist discussion forums) but why do you say the "discussion about women are heavily censored". The furum is certainly moderated but "heavily censored"? And who is "frightened make their opinion"?
What I am saying is try to point out the problem without trying to make it to a gender or color issue etc.
I am all for people fighting for a fair go. But highlight the discrimination not the division.
For instance, can someone tell me what is the problem of present moderators in DW.
I am not trying to defend the moderators here, but I fail to see the problem.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 ambut I fail to see the problem.
Me too.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

The right wing posters never see a problem with the moderation.....
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 am The right wing posters never see a problem with the moderation.....
What's the problem Lyndon?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am
By the way why do you think we need diversity in DW?
Have you ever encountered for the necessity for that.
I never felt that I was discriminated here because I am a black or Asian.
Hi Sarath. I wrote the OP as a bit of a joke. Not seriously at all. But it became a huge topic of discussion much to my surprise :lol:

I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously. Not by Paul.

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:49 am The right wing posters never see a problem with the moderation.....
Firstly I'm not right wing.
Secondly you haven't spelt out any actual issues.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Isn't that to be expected though, the liberalism is for progressive change, conservatism for preserving the status quo.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 am
Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:03 am Hi SarathW
SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am The request for diversity and representation (women etc.) is a damaging trend.
This is a sign that we are living in morally bankrupt society.
Why do you say this SarathW?
SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 am The discussion about women are heavily censored and people are frightened to make their opinion.
I guess we must tread carfully here as we need to remain within the Terms of Service of Dhamma Wheel (Badmouthing Buddhist discussion forums) but why do you say the "discussion about women are heavily censored". The furum is certainly moderated but "heavily censored"? And who is "frightened make their opinion"?
What I am saying is try to point out the problem without trying to make it to a gender or color issue etc.
I am all for people fighting for a fair go. But highlight the discrimination not the division.
For instance, can someone tell me what is the problem of present moderators in DW.
I am not trying to defend the moderators here, but I fail to see the problem.
Hi SarathW
I presumed the comment, in bold, above went beyond the boundary of this forum.

If there is a problem with sexism gender is relevant. If there is a problem of racism colour is relevant. If there is a problem of political bias then political viewpoint is relevant.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:48 pm
I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously.
Hi No_Mind

You were punished for not being liberal enough? What do you mean?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Pseudobabble wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Have you noticed left wing posters like L.N. and Alan disappearing from the forum, I don't think that's a coincidence.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm
I was unfairly punished by DW Mod/Admin for not being liberal enough previously.
Hi No_Mind

I was banned for a month and no reasons were given. I have to take it that my general lack of sympathy for transgenders had something to do with it .. things like asking them to run few miles and take a cold bath in a thread.

I have no wish to get into that old argument. Since that thread I have become more tolerant of transpeople and would not insult them but waiting for more and authentic scientific research before I buy their story .. and till that time ignore them

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

No_Mind wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:14 pm
Mr Man wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:32 pm
Hi No_Mind

I was banned for a month and no reasons were given. I have to take it that my general lack of sympathy for transgenders had something to do with it .. things like asking them to run few miles and take a cold bath in a thread.

I have no wish to get into that old argument. Since that thread I have become more tolerant of transpeople and would not insult them but waiting for more and authentic scientific research before I buy their story .. and till that time ignore them

Okay. Thanks No_Mind.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

lyndon taylor wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:11 pm
Pseudobabble wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:36 pm
Have you noticed left wing posters like L.N. and Alan disappearing from the forum, I don't think that's a coincidence.
I had, and had presumed they contravened the TOS and were temporarily/permanently banned... Do you know differently?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
binocular

Post by binocular »

lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pmIts sad that you see it that way, and reflects how some people are not made welcome, the Dhamma at its heart is quite simple
Feel free to become enlightened.
:woohoo:
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

binocular wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm
lyndon taylor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:52 pmIts sad that you see it that way, and reflects how some people are not made welcome, the Dhamma at its heart is quite simple
Feel free to become enlightened.
:woohoo:

Is this your idea of a Buddhist insult??